Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

Led lights blow fused

Every time front led lights are turned on from switch in storage area they pop the fuse. I was thinking best was to fix other than removing closet panels or entire front cover dome I would take the led light from nose of Rv and run new wiring, problem is I don't know how to remove the led light striips, are they glued on or tear apart when pulling off? 2016 Salem hemisphere. Two led strips about 20 inches long. Thanks for any onfo
topkattkg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Before you remove the strips, check them. It is unusual for LED strips to short. Better chance it is a short in the wiring from the switch to the LED strip or in the switch. Some times when trim is screwed in place, the screws penetrate the wiring and cause a short.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've seen at dealer lots, many of those front LED hitch area lights with water in them.
I would guess that's why they short out.
Looks like mine are held on with double stick tape.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #4

Thanks, will I ruin them trying to remove? If they have water in them I guess I need new ones right?also I will need to see if blows fuse with the lights unplugged, before buy new one? Thanks for help will update after get lights off for inspection,
Old 02-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've never tried to remove any or seen any removed but I's suspect you'll need to be real careful taking them off if they are stuck with double side tape to keep from ruining them. I doubt they 'unplug' either. Probably hard wired and you'll need to cut the feed wires to see if in fact that is what is shorted and popping the fuse.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkattkg2 View Post
Every time front led lights are turned on from switch in storage area they pop the fuse. I was thinking best was to fix other than removing closet panels or entire front cover dome I would take the led light from nose of Rv and run new wiring, problem is I don't know how to remove the led light striips, are they glued on or tear apart when pulling off? 2016 Salem hemisphere. Two led strips about 20 inches long. Thanks for any onfo
I would bypass switch and direct wire from led strips to power source to see if it still blows fuse if not led strips are ok.which means bad switch or grounded wire from power source.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #7

Good idea, I will try that first and see where short is wire or led,s. Thanks for idea guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

Being a 2016, did you get your Salem with a faulty circuit? This is a warranty issue, but apparently you would, like most of us, just like to fix it yourself. Is it possible that you could post a picture of your LED strip? We are asking these questions so that we can better understand the issue.

What you are dealing with is a dead short and that would have to originate from the positive (side) wire. Automotive wiring (direct current) is color coded differently that household (alternating current). With DC,the red is most often the positive wire color. The confusion then comes with the black wire. At times, it is the positive wire, but if it is in conjunction with a red wire, it is then the ground wire. A white wire is usually the ground wire. Maybe it can be made more clear below:

*Red wire present, it is the positive (hot +) wire. The black (or white) wire is the ground (neutral -) wire. If you are looking for a short it is the red wire.
*No red wire, the black wire becomes the positive (hot +) wire and a white wire will be the ground (-). With this combinations , you are looking for a short in the black wire.
*At times, a red wire is connected to a black wire because of a difference in color coding. Say you have a red from the fuse panel and black wire paired coming to a fixture that has a black and white wire pair. The wiring would be connect as such: the red lead wire (+) to the black fixture wire (+) and the black wire (-) paralleling the the red is connected to the white (-) wire of the fixture. Ya, it's confusing.
*White will remain a constant wire color for ground.
*The other thing to remember is that the chassis of the unit is the common ground. The ground wires can attach anywhere on the chassis as long as the batteries are grounded to the chassis. All positive wires go from the power source through a fuse panel to the fixture.

Twelve volt LEDs are DC (direct current) require the wires be connected positive to positive and negative to negative. If a LED bulb is reversed on polarity, it will not work. If the wires are crossed, they won't work and will cause a short, not necessarily through the fixture. So, the first thing I would check for is a crossed wires error on the build. If there is moisture in the fixture, it will also cause a short.

LED fixtures generally attach one of three ways. 1. If there is a removable lens cover, squeeze the lens sides a few inches from each end and it should come loose. There may be a screw at each end attaching it to the coach. 2. Look for two clamps that clip the outside of the fixture. 3. Two-sided tape. Should you have to remove a fixture that is attached with two-sided tape, the best way is to start at one end of the fixture and use something like a kitchen spatula to work between the fixture and the surface it is attached to. Wiggle the spatula from side to side as you work it in. Once you have one end loosening up, you will need to keep it from reattaching. So use something like a screw driver slipped between the surfaces to keep a space.

Hopefully this hasn't totally confused you.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkattkg2 View Post
Thanks, will I ruin them trying to remove? If they have water in them I guess I need new ones right?also I will need to see if blows fuse with the lights unplugged, before buy new one? Thanks for help will update after get lights off for inspection,
Heat may help, but I would use a hair dryer and not risk damage from a heat gun
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, led, light

« Steps | New mod »