Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #1

LED lights interfere with TV

I know I have read previous posts about this problem. Just cannot remember where or how to solve the problem. 2014 Windjammer 2809W. Getting ready to take our first trip in it this weekend. Noticed when we turn on lights over bathroom sink and ceiling lights by sink in kitchen, it causes horrible interference with our TV. Any advise or suggestions? Also, I'm assuming this happens whether the TV is connected to antenna, satellite or cable?

2Barnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #2

Will be interested in what your learn. We have a 2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS with LED's, and when bedroom or bathroom light goes on, flat screen TV in main area, and the one in bedroom, will both go black. Turn off the lights, and all is well.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #3

I hate to hear your having problems as well; though not surprised. It seems to be very common. Hope we get some suggestions!
2Barnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #4

Either gotta leave the lights off, or I believe a few users have gotten manufacturers to pay for better LED lamps. Guessing that doesn't happen much, and when I've discussed with my dealer (RV wholesalers) they say turret haven't heard of this problem and didn't offer a fix.

Interested myself if others have found a cure
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #5

ours only affects the radio. we have the Starbrite LEDs. pricy but work.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

I have the same problem...

Suggestion: if it's a romantic movie you're watching, turn the lights off
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
What the? Lights making a TV go black? What? We dont have a tv but do have sirrius radio... havent tried it yet. will keep y'all posted to what happens.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #8

There is a fix; it requires changing out the LED lights and fixtures; as the current LED lights produce an RF interference with the antenna. Rockwood is aware of the issue and we had ours replaced by the service tech's at the International Rally.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

I've just replaced all of the light bulbs in my 2011 Georgetown with LEDs and suspect I know what's causing this problem. LEDs are sensitive to the voltage that is fed to them which can be a problem in an RV. If you're running on batteries, you should expect anything from just over 13V (fully charged) to 11V, the voltage you get from an almost dead battery. If you're plugged into shore power and have a multi-stage converter, you can easily have 14.1V on your DC wiring. To keep the LEDs at a constant brightness, there's a tiny voltage regulator built into the base of the bulb. These are usually DC-DC switching regulators which, if not designed to prevent RF (radio frequency) interference, can cause interference to TVs and radios.

I used 48 led flat panel replacements for my bulbs and installed a small voltage regulator in each fixture. I checked mine and found that they don't create any interference to the TV. The hardware for each fixture, two bulbs and a voltage regulator, cost me around $6 per fixture. Of course, this doesn't include my time to wire everything up.

Phil Sherman
pmsherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphieAdie View Post
There is a fix; it requires changing out the LED lights and fixtures; as the current LED lights produce an RF interference with the antenna. Rockwood is aware of the issue and we had ours replaced by the service tech's at the International Rally.

And it is only problem when you are on antenna, and only if you are some distance from the transmission tower. We noticed it right after we got our new Windjammer 3008W and were in a COE campground without cable hookup and some distance from any town. When we tried to replicate the problem at the dealer's lot, we were too close to the transmission tower and the lights didn't interfere with the signal.

FR techs replaced all of our LED fixtures at Goshen, too.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
ďIt's not how old you are, it's how you are old.ĒJules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote