Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #1

Led switch on only On when Interior on also...

When our led light switch is on, the lights do not come on until the interior light switch is also turned ON.
Also this affects the yellow outdoor light by the door, it too will not work without the interior light swtich in the ON position.
Is this some kind of wiring issue I can fix myself?
Thanks!

2015 FR XLR 27HFS
Haulintoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Team

When you say interior light switch, are you talking about the switch on the fixtures themselves? If so, that's normal operation. the on-fixture switches are wired in series with the external to the fixture switches. Or maybe I didn't understand the problem?
Old 06-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #3

This is the way I read the OP: The outside LED lights will not come on when their switch is ON unless you also turn ON the lighting inside the XLR. The yellow outside lamp, some may call this the porch lamp, also will not come on unless the switch for the interior lamps is ON. I would consider this to be wired wrong. It sounds, to me at least, that the factory ran the "HOT" wire(s) for the LED lamps and the porch lamp from the wrong side of the interior lamp switch. They may have attached the LED wiring and the porch wiring from the side of the interior lighting switch that is HOT only the interior lighting is turned ON. Confirm whether the interior lighting is either 120vAC or 12vDC, probably 12vDC, and assure that power to the switch is OFF. Remove the switch to look at the wiring to confirm whether that may be other wiring attached to either side of the switch. I'm still betting that the wires for the LED lighting and the porch light are on the wrong side of the interior lighting switch

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #4

YES! Thanks.
We will try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
This is the way I read the OP: The outside LED lights will not come on when their switch is ON unless you also turn ON the lighting inside the XLR. The yellow outside lamp, some may call this the porch lamp, also will not come on unless the switch for the interior lamps is ON. I would consider this to be wired wrong. It sounds, to me at least, that the factory ran the "HOT" wire(s) for the LED lamps and the porch lamp from the wrong side of the interior lamp switch. They may have attached the LED wiring and the porch wiring from the side of the interior lighting switch that is HOT only the interior lighting is turned ON. Confirm whether the interior lighting is either 120vAC or 12vDC, probably 12vDC, and assure that power to the switch is OFF. Remove the switch to look at the wiring to confirm whether that may be other wiring attached to either side of the switch. I'm still betting that the wires for the LED lighting and the porch light are on the wrong side of the interior lighting switch

Tags
led, switch