Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

LED Taillights

I need help! I recently changed my taillights to LEDs. I have a 2012 Sandpiper 365SAQ. My brake lights work, both blinkers, an hazards. When we turn on the day running lights, only the far left driver side lights up and the brakes, blinkers and hazards still work. I have tried everything and just can't figure it out. My electrical wire colors are black, red, white, green, blue, and a white/green wire. I have the solid green wire on the driver side and the solid blue on the right side. Any thoughts on this? Thank you for any advice!
mindyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #2

Your post is a bit confusing to me. If by "far left drivers side" you mean the front clearance light on your trailer, then somethings definitely wrong.

A number of TV's (tow vehicles) have "daytime running lights" or "DRL's." When your DRL's are on they should only light up something at the front of your TV. On older TV's, it was usually the headlights, but on newer ones, they are using white LED light bars. The rear red lights (tail lights) of the TV should NOT be on with the TV's lights on in the DLR mode, nor should any lights on the Sandpiper.

So the trailers clearance lights (aka "running lights", i.e., the yellow and red lights around the front, sides and rear of the Sandpiper) should not be on unless you fully turn on the TV's headlights (NOT just the DRL mode) as if you were traveling at night OR unless you turn on just the parking lights.

If all you did was change the two tail lights to LED's, I'm guessing you messed up the wiring somehow. Note: I'm assuming you changed the Sandpiper's tail lights, not the TV's.

Without some more info, it's hard to help.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindyb View Post
I need help! I recently changed my taillights to LEDs. I have a 2012 Sandpiper 365SAQ. My brake lights work, both blinkers, an hazards. When we turn on the day running lights, only the far left driver side lights up and the brakes, blinkers and hazards still work. I have tried everything and just can't figure it out. My electrical wire colors are black, red, white, green, blue, and a white/green wire. I have the solid green wire on the driver side and the solid blue on the right side. Any thoughts on this? Thank you for any advice!

Sorry let me clear this up. My lights have nothing to do with my TV. On my Sandpiper there is 4 taillights. 2 on the right and 2 on the left. 2 inner lights and 2 outer lights. 4" round. When we turn on the day running lights on the 2011 Chevy Silverado only the far outer left taillight works. I believe it is a wiring issue but cannot figure out the right combination ! The only difference from one side to the other is a blue wire. No blue wires on the left side. Any thoughts? I hope this is easier to understand.
mindyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #4

Just had the same problem. I switched the wires I thought were running lights and stop lights. The wires were backwards for mine. Works great now.
ksignoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

So I'm still confused. You say, "When we turn on the day running lights on the 2011 Chevy Silverado only the far outer left taillight works."

All the vehicles I've had that had day running lights, when the DRLs were on, no vehicle tail lights lit up, and neither did any of the trailer lights. So if your Silverado's DLR's are lighting up one of your trailers tail lights, then the first problem is with your Silverado as it should not be sending any power to the trailer. Once you fix that, you may have another problem, because if power is going to one of the trailers tail lights, it ought to be going to the other one as well.

Good luck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light