Old 05-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

LED vs. 12V Inverter issue

I swapped out all my bulbs to LED. I use a CPAP machine and in the past have been able to power it up through a simple inverter plugged into the 12V socket by my TV. After changing the bulbs the CPAP will try to start up, then stop. Then it will start going but when the heater blower kicks on it shuts off again. Is it possible that the LED bulbs have messed up the original circuit? I also noticed when the water pump kicked on that the lights dimmed slightly so I know there is a power draw somewhere. TT is a 21RBS Salem. 2013.

rtrindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Sounds like you probably only one battery and the inverter usage is draining it fast.
You need to have at least two batteries to allow some inverter usage.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #3

Need a little more info. Are you on shore power or running off of the battery? Does your CPAP have trouble with lights on, off, or it doesn't matter? Before switching bulbs did the CPAP run normally whether lights were on or off?

Relating to light change when the pump comes on: All LED bulbs are not built the same. Some have internal voltage regulators and are not sensitive to voltage swings like a pump turning on. Others are not so well regulated and will change output with voltage changes. Maybe research your bulbs to see how they are built and how they react to changes.

General point: With the old bulbs running, the power convertor was working pretty good to put out more power to power up the lights. The CPAP turning on then was a small percentage change in power demand and the convertor just kept going at the rate it was before. With LED lights on, there is very little demand on the power convertor. When the CPAP machine comes on there is a much bigger power percentage change and the power convertor swings the power up. The CPAP may be reacting to that bigger power swing.

This could all be exaggerated by weak wires or weak connection going to the 12 volt socket.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I am assuming a "boondocking" scenario. (running on battery).

My guess is the heater is a new variable in your situation. Your battery is most likely fine without the furnace, but throw in the heat and the amp draw demanded of your battery exceeds the capacity of your battery to deliver.

Remember, due to the Peukert Effect, the more amps you demand the less available capacity (thus the quicker the voltage drop). Your battery is dying not so much from "not enough capacity", but the inability to deliver the higher concurrent amps. Sharing that demand across 2 or more batteries will reduce the Peukert penalty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve vs Discharge Rate.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	76349  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #5

Yes Herk. After I was going on about convertor cycling and such I realized that if he is on battery power nothing much of what I said applies.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #6

Unlikely that the LEDS affect the inverter or cpap. Sounds like inverter problem or battery starting out NOT FULLY CHARGED. On another level, my cpap power supply takes 120 in and makes 12 v out. I just got a 12 volt power cord from the manufacturer of my cpap. Power problem resolved. Eliminated the power loss of inverter and plug in power supply.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

on second thought

I missed the part about lights dimming. I had that problem, even after replacing bulbs with LEDs and discovered that my ground connection from the battery was corroded. Cleaned and reconnected the ground and lots of little problems got better.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

Yes, agree it could be just plain old bad connections.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #9

Rapid responses!!

Man I had no idea I would get so many responses to this question. I just de winterized not too long ago so battery was fully charged. I'll check the connections again. This was a boondock scenario and CPAP has worked fine before on just the battery......with the heater kicking on. Thanks for all the feedback.
rtrindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
TGR

One other thing to consider is the status of your battery. Perhaps it aged poorly over the winter and needs replacing. High internal resistance in the battery can act somewhat similar to a poor battery connection. Of course, if it worked well and changed right after the LED mod, then my thoughts wouldn't apply. If it was a before and just after comparison, I would check all battery connections first and twist the inverter's plug in the 12 V socket to clean the contacts there.

Tags
inverter, led