Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Cadiz Couple

Light switch turns off TV

In my Rockwood 8310, whenever the bedroom light is turned on, it causes the TV in the living room to turn off. As soon as the light is turned back off, the TV immediately comes back on?????
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My radio shuts down when I turn on the living room lights. I was told the LED lights block the signals.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Site Team

This is strange. Is the bedroom light 12VDC ( most are)? Is the TV 120VAC (Most are)? If so there should be no connection. Did you convert the 12V light in the bedroom to LED? Does the TV actually shut off or just lose reception. Inexpensive LEDs generate a lot fo radio Freq noise that will impact radio and TV reception.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
Site Team

In both cases it sounds like a wiring problem. Wiring being routed to the wrong fuse, or switch, is not uncommon. One the folks with a new rig like mine had his bedroom TV wired to the bathroom light switch... Since most everything is 12VDC, and FR does not always use color coded wiring, it is easy to wire it wrong...and hard to find the issue! If you want to chase this yourself the easiest way is with a tone tracer set like this one at Home Depot.

Some inexpensive LED's do generate signal interference but they will not turn off a radio or TV. They just screw up the reception. Unplug the LED lights, controlled by that switch, and I suspect the radio will still go on and off with the switch...
Old 11-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadiz Couple View Post
In my Rockwood 8310, whenever the bedroom light is turned on, it causes the TV in the living room to turn off. As soon as the light is turned back off, the TV immediately comes back on?????
When you say "turn off", do you mean the television actually turns the power off...or just loses signal?

Just losing signal is a known issue with some LED lights and Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). We have many threads here on this subject. I'll try to find you some and edit this post.

EDIT: Try this post, which has several previous discussion links:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post870113

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
Cadiz Couple

TV goes off when light is turned on

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, my living room TV is 110 and the bedroom lights are 12 volt. The TV doesn't just lose a signal....the screen instantly goes completely black when the light is switched on, and then instantly comes back on just as soon as the light switch is turned back off. An electrician friend just asked me if I also lose sound when this happens. I "think" so but I can't definitely say so until Thanksgiving when we pull it to Austin TX where I can again receive TV receptiol....which I can't receive here in the woods at Cadiz KY. He tells me that if I also lose the sound, along with the picture, that it is probably caused by a mis-wired bedroom light switch, which he says is easy to fix. I'll update the problem if/after I get it solved.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #7

When newer tv's loose reception they do go black instead of "snow" like the old tv's did. As others have posted your led bulbs are emitting radio noise in the air that is blocking the already weak tv reception causing your tv to turn off the screen.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #8

I should add, electric motors also emit radio noise that can black the screen on the tv. A hood vent fan motor, a bathroom vent fan motor, a water pump, a furnace blower motor and an ac unit.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplewon View Post
When newer tv's loose reception they do go black instead of "snow" like the old tv's did. As others have posted your led bulbs are emitting radio noise in the air that is blocking the already weak tv reception causing your tv to turn off the screen.

If I'm in an area where I am getting "borderline" TV reception OTA, I get the same issue whenever I turn on the bedroom LED lights (can't remember if it happens with other LED lights in the RV). The bedroom LED's just happen to be right under the antenna (and the coax running in the ceiling).

At first, I thought it was the lights taking some voltage away from the antenna booster which would interrupt the signal. But, now after reading this thread, I'm leaning more towards the LED interference.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #10

Are tv was wired to the light switch tv went off when light switch was turned off. Had to have it rewired.
jimmiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #11

Hint....hook up to cable in an RV park and try it. My guess is there will be no effect and your issue is not electrical wiring ...it is the LED's in the lights.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #12

Annother possibility

This is a mystery - 12V switch affecting a 120V appliance.
I have another possible answer to consider. Most (all?) RV's have an antenna signal amplifier, which IS 12V, integrated into the TV antenna circuit. There is a little on off switch at the antenna connection with a green LED indicator light. TV won't pick up an antenna signal if this isn't on. ( I BELIEVE a cable signal will work without the amplifier). MAYBE the amplifier got accidentally wired into the light circuit. You can easily tell by observing if the green indicator light goes on and off with the light switch..
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #13

tv goes out.

I think every one of my flat panel tv's has a message like "no signal" when it loses the signal. They also have a small led light that indicates if there is power.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
Cadiz Couple

I lean toward believing that my TV has been wrongly wired through the bedroom light switch. Mainly because no other led lights throughout the trailer being turned on causes the TV to go black. Again...in a couple of weeks I will take my trailer to where I will have TV reception so that I can give my electrician buddy a definite answer as to whether the sound also goes silent when the TV screen goes black. He tells me that if I lose both the picture AND the sound when the light switch is turned on, that the problem will be in the switch. I'll provide feedback on the forum when and if the problem gets solved.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #15
Site Team

Lots of opinions here but my vote is--
The light is 12v dc and the TV is 120v ac so the switch actually removing
power from the TV is VERY slim.

I agree with others- the LED light is interfering with the TV signal or the switch is
killing the antenna booster and dropping the signal.

My bedroom ceiling LED mess up my TV also but it doesn't go blank just lots of "noise" in the picture.

Good luck figuring it out!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch