Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Lights/Furnace Going On and Off Constantly

I have a 2007 Forest River Wildwood LE. I leave it hooked up year round due to having visitors very regularly. This past weekend was the first hard freeze of the year (here in Texas, anyway). I had visitors coming so on Friday morning I turned up the furnace to make it nice and warm for them. Everything turned on good and seemed to be working fine. However, later that evening, the lights started flickering and the furnace was fading in and out. No breakers were tripped and all fuses looked good so I took out the battery and had it tested. The battery had a bad cell. So, I bought a new one. Hooked it up and everything seemed to be back to good. But, the same thing started happening again after a few hours. It is plugged in to shore power this whole time. With the warmer weather now, the furnace has been working fine however, I disconnected the battery to see if it would do the same thing and it did. Lights flickering and the furnace fading in and out. Any help on fixing the issue?

yamini76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
RV furnaces draw heavily on the batteries of any RV. If in fact your previous battery was marginal (you mention a bad cell) that could have been your culprit.

However, now with a new battery, you describe the same troubles......flickering lights and intermittent furnace operation. It is possible the new battery was pushed into service too quickly and not brought into this world properly to perform at it's best. If the new battery was purchased dry (meaning no electrolyte) at the store, and they added it just before selling it to you, it was NOT conditioned properly to be at it's optimum performance.

It would be best to have the battery placed on a slow charge and brought to approximately 13+ volts for a period of time before being asked to perform.

Just my opinion.........others may chime in.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
It sounds to me like your Converter has failed (you indicated no breakers were tripped). When you are on "shore power" and with the battery connected into the circuit (eg, no "battery disconnect" in use) you should read at least 13.2 volts at the battery (assuming you are not under a heavy load situation)

Here is a link to a Converter troubleshooting guide from the FRF Library:
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
@BarryD0706, I'm thinking that you are on to something. It's a little too technical for me to pull it out and check it myself but I'm going to have someone take a look. Thanks!
yamini76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
I think it's the convertor too. My old trailer battery had the rotten egg smell, it turned out to be a bad convertor.
2014 XLR 27 HFS
2010 F250 4x4 Crewcab Turbo Diesel
10x is offline   Reply With Quote

furnace, light