Old 09-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #1

Lithium Battery Conversion

When the time comes for battery replacement on my 2019 Sunseeker 2500TS, I am wondering if my power converter will accept the lithium batteries. I have a Progressive Dynamics PD4060k power converter. The owners guide for the converter says "only designed for lithiun iron phosphate LiFePO4 batteries", but our brand new RV came with lead acid batteries I think, because I have to add water to them, and they have no brand name on them. I would like to go to Battle Born batteries either way when the time comes.

nvallerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:45 AM   #2

Are you sure that model of converter says its only for lithium batteries? With that model number, I am not so sure about that.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:50 AM   #3

I purchased and installed PD's conversion module for my PD4060 when I converted to LiFePo. The 4060 was not compatible. Simple swap, 10 minute job, under $200. It's basically the left 1/3 as shown in photo. It's their
PD4060LICSV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pd4060licsv.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	215014  
Riverbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #4

Battery Conversion

Hello, I'm interested in this thread as well. I have a 2013 3010DS with dead lead acids. I've purchased two valance LI 12V cells and was wondering about the need to update my converter as well. Comments?
bmstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #5

I've had discussions with both the Tech Support people at Progressive Dynamics and at Battleborn.

The Converter you have (OP) will charge the LiFePo batteries although max output voltage (in Boost Mode) will be 14.4 volt. May not charge LiFePo batteries as "full" as a designated "Lithium" model that puts out a constant 14.6 volts.

If you read the charger requirements from Battleborn the parameters of the PD4060 fit their parameters.

14.4 volts will bring the batteries up to ~95%-98% SOC but with the ability to discharge the LiFePo batteries much deeper you probably won't miss that small amount if you stick with the OEM converter. LiFePo batteries don't care if they are ever fully charged and as long as they have enough stored energy to meet your needs the lower SOC/Voltage will make them last longer (or so the experts say).

Biggest thing you will notice is that if your Converter is any distance at all from your batteries the charge times will be slow and you may see the converter switch to Absorbtion mode which will limit voltate to 13.6-13.8 volts. THAT will limit SOC more noticeably. Solution is to replace converter section of power panel with a floor mount converter (Like PD 9160AL) and mount it as close as possible to the batteries. An alternative is to run much larger wires from Converter to Batteries but to maximize charge current (minimizing voltage drop) you may be looking at running some rather huge wire. Most likely 1/0 or 2/0 gauge depending on actual distance and that's only if you use the chassis ground (like the factory did). If you run both a positive AND negative wire the full distance from battery to converter you're talking wire sizes that won't even fit the lugs on the converter. With the 1/0 and 2/0 you're even going to have to use a lug adapter, if you can find one.

For the best performance (max chargerate, greatest SOC) best route is to invest in a floor mount Converter, mount it next to the batteries, then run a piece of romex from power panel to new converter using the existing breaker for the OE converter. Just remove the converter section from the power center and leave the battery supply line in place.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #6

Thank you for the quick reply! Good info.

bmstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery