Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #1

Location of inverter

Having a 2006 31LRLS Cedar Creek, I haven't had the opportunity with work look for the inverter, where might this be? I too am having the dimming of the lights issue and want to get ahead of this. I was informed when we bought it that we had a used battery and that we should change it however I want to make sure the inverter is checked. Thanks.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor
Having a 2006 31LRLS Cedar Creek, I haven't had the opportunity with work look for the inverter, where might this be? I too am having the dimming of the lights issue and want to get ahead of this. I was informed when we bought it that we had a used battery and that we should change it however I want to make sure the inverter is checked. Thanks.
You shouldn't have a inverter rather you should have a converter.

Your battery has to be in good working condition before converter is checked.
Start at your battery first.
A bad battery will cause your converter to seem faulty.
If you were told the battery was bad I'm not sure why you didn't check or replace?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #3

I do not have a Cedar so I can not guide you on that, hopefully someone here can. But mine is behind a wall in the basement area, the wall closest to the fuse panel as the converter plugs into an AC outlet on the back of the fuse panel.

A little more explanation on what you have happening around dimming lights would also help.
Generally the converter either works 100% or works 0%, so usually you power up the unit and everything looks fine, however when the converter is bad, after 3-5 hours more depending on usage and battery configuration, the lights will begin to dim as the battery losses power. Eventually all the DC powered items shutdown, this is lights, and control planes for the frig and water heater, thermostat, etc.
Sometimes,(most) you never get to the complete loss of power and when you plug the unit into the TV to go home it recharges the batteries and the cycle starts over the next time.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

First things first. Yes, you need good batteries. Notice I said multiple. An inverter is worthless with a single battery installation. If you are interested in how and what I did on my Cedar Creek, send me a pm and I will detail how and where I placed everything.
As for checking your battery, take it out, place it on a good battery charger for 24 hours, and then take it to a battery store for a proper load test. That is the only way to determine how much life it has in it to give. Before replacing it, consider what you want/need and make some determinations of how best to install what you want to fit your needs.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #5

F1 100 turbo, thanks. We were told the battery is used, not bad. That is why we haven't changed it yet. The owner (salesman) of the trailer dealership had initially checked it and always recommends that you change the battery as on used units you get used batteries.

Donn, I'll shoot you a pm tonight.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn
First things first. Yes, you need good batteries. Notice I said multiple. An inverter is worthless with a single battery installation. If you are interested in how and what I did on my Cedar Creek, send me a pm and I will detail how and where I placed everything.
As for checking your battery, take it out, place it on a good battery charger for 24 hours, and then take it to a battery store for a proper load test. That is the only way to determine how much life it has in it to give. Before replacing it, consider what you want/need and make some determinations of how best to install what you want to fit your needs.
Donn he said lights dimming. That would be a 12v issue correct?
If its a 12v issue then it would be a converter/battery issue.

Unless he has 110v lighting then an inverter has nothing to do with his issue.

We all know people get confused between a converter and an inverter.

To the op

Converter = taking 110v and turning it into 12v
Lights
Water pump
Fridge
Furnace
Hw heater

Inverter= taking 12v and turning it into 110v

Microwave
A/c
Tv
Dvd

You get the point
Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #7

yes, I realize that. However I also assumed he wants to install an inverter for some reason? Might be wrong on that, but that was my assumption.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
yes, I realize that. However I also assumed he wants to install an inverter for some reason? Might be wrong on that, but that was my assumption.

I guess we will find out more tonight !
Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #9

Well, I guess we all learn something. The last time I camped was in my parents 1971 Aristocrat Lowliner. It's been a day or two...

Converter it is. The lights in the trailer are 12 volt. After being on for a while, on shore power they will dim slightly for some time usually for an hour or so and then return to full brightness.

Additionally, I would like to add a second battery to the equation but Cedar Creek informed me that the system was only setup for a single battery on my 31LRLS. If this is possible let me know.

Additionally, it appears that the previous owner "rigged" a second battery on the unit as there are two each positive and negative cables that...run to a home style junction box bolted to the tongue. This brings me to the need for a schematic of the unit which I understand is not available.

With that being said, with the exception of the dimming lights, the unit appears that it was never used by the previous owner. Everything on the unit does work correctly.

...and thank you for the assistance.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #10

CC is giving you the party line. Personally I had 4-12Volt batteries for 7 years, now I have 46V golf cart batteries. It is easy to do, just takes a little ingenuity.

As for the light dimming issue, that is the sign of a bad battery. Your converter is only capable of supplying XX amount of amps. With a lot of lights on the battery being dead is not able to assist. Actually that is back words. Battery first converter second is the way it is suppose to be. But with a dead battery converter becomes primary.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You can infact add more batterys.
Most experienced rv users install 2 or more.
Only one is needed tho if you always use shore power.
Additionals are only need if dry camping or camping without shore power.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #12

Fantastic. Thanks for the input guys. Don't want any issues on the maiden voyage so I think I will just start with a clean slate and get a new battery.

My next question, as this I don't completely follow... Standard or deep cycle battery with the converter? I know that the current battery is a standard car battery.

Lastly, as far as installing two batteries, does anyone have a schematic for this?

Again, thanks for the assistance.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor
Fantastic. Thanks for the input guys. Don't want any issues on the maiden voyage so I think I will just start with a clean slate and get a new battery.

My next question, as this I don't completely follow... Standard or deep cycle battery with the converter? I know that the current battery is a standard car battery.

Lastly, as far as installing two batteries, does anyone have a schematic for this?

Again, thanks for the assistance.
Deep cycle for sure.
Group 24 or 27 if u have room.

Positive to positive
Negative to negative