Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Locking Ring on Power cable?

On my 2011 8285WS power cable (30 AMP) locking ring, it seems to be defective or worn threads. At time it will not lock down when screwed up tight. Has anyone ever replaced the locking ring? It so how is it done except cutting off the and replacing the plug. There has to be a way to separate the plug somehow to replace the ring. I do see the black locking rings in Camping World for sale.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN
On my 2011 8285WS power cable (30 AMP) locking ring, it seems to be defective or worn threads. At time it will not lock down when screwed up tight. Has anyone ever replaced the locking ring? It so how is it done except cutting off the and replacing the plug. There has to be a way to separate the plug somehow to replace the ring. I do see the black locking rings in Camping World for sale.
I think the ring has to be slid to the other end of cable to remove.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #3

Ours didn't work either. Just more cheap Chinese plastic junk.
Maybe a different manufacturer might be better, if it fit the camper threads. Otherwise, trying to replace it would probably be a waste of money. Frustrating.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My 2011 Lacrosse has the same problem with the shoreline. If I push it real hard into the socket I could get the ring to thread into the socket and tighten up . While removing the cord all I need to do is twist it and it comes off. It seems that the ring needs to have a few more turns onto the TT socket to secure it. I wish I could thin down the space between the plug and the socket. I worry that if leave it for a period of time I will come back a dead TT with spoiled food.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

As for the locking rings, they are very easy to cross thread. As for spoiled food, since you probably have propane on anyway, leave the fridge in auto., that way if the power went out, it would switch to propane and you wouldn't loose your food, or have a smelly fridge to clean up.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
As for the locking rings, they are very easy to cross thread. As for spoiled food, since you probably have propane on anyway, leave the fridge in auto., that way if the power went out, it would switch to propane and you wouldn't loose your food, or have a smelly fridge to clean up.
Until the 12V system runs out. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We've already had the smelly food a couple of times. We keep our TT at our family cottage for weeks in between trips. Our Jayco smelled so-o-o bad it took over a month to air out. Now with the computer controls on the new frig of our Lacrosse, any power brown outs or spikes it goes out. I just bought a good surge protector to help that part of it. If the power is out of control it will shut down for 2 minutes and 16 seconds then reset itself. But if the power disconnects I'm in trouble.
I think my best bet for the shoreline is to get a new locking ring that will tread further on the TT power socket. Now to find one.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote