Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Looking for Confirmation on My Thought

Got back from a great camping trip last weekend and parked the TT back at the storage facility. After unhooking everything, we put down the electronic stabilizers. The front one worked fine, but the back one would not go down. I pressed the toggle switch to raise the stabilizers and the motor turned, however when pressing it to lower the stabilizers the motor does not attempt to do anything. My wires look connected. I'm thinking I may have a bad switch.

I don't have a electrical meter only because I simply do not understand how to use them. (need an image of me wearing a dunce cap).

If someone could give me simple instructions on how to check using a multimeter, I can run out and get one. Otherwise, I'm thinking I just need to buy a new switch... your thoughts???

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrye5853
Got back from a great camping trip last weekend and parked the TT back at the storage facility. After unhooking everything, we put down the electronic stabilizers. The front one worked fine, but the back one would not go down. I pressed the toggle switch to raise the stabilizers and the motor turned, however when pressing it to lower the stabilizers the motor does not attempt to do anything. My wires look connected. I'm thinking I may have a bad switch.

I don't have a electrical meter only because I simply do not understand how to use them. (need an image of me wearing a dunce cap).

If someone could give me simple instructions on how to check using a multimeter, I can run out and get one. Otherwise, I'm thinking I just need to buy a new switch... your thoughts???

Thanks!
Set your multimeter to dc volts then touch any good clean ground with the black lead.
Take your red lead and probe all wires at the switch.
Most likely one will be hot and two will not.
When up hit the switch to go up one of the 2 dad wires should become hot.

Push down on the switch and the last wire then should be hot.

If not you have a bad switch.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Turbs!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrye5853 View Post
exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Turbs!!!
your welcome !

keep us updated on what you find !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #5

You can do the same test with a test light, would be cheaper than a multimeter, unless you want or need the meter. Connect the clamp end to a ground and probe with the pointed end, light will come on when current is at that point.

Good luck
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #6

OK, finally got to test my switch... It was as expected a bad switch. So, now the next stage, I know I've seen a few links on here for places you folks buy accessories. Would you all be kind enough to share some reliable links where I can purchase a replacement switch?
Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrye5853 View Post
OK, finally got to test my switch... It was as expected a bad switch. So, now the next stage, I know I've seen a few links on here for places you folks buy accessories. Would you all be kind enough to share some reliable links where I can purchase a replacement switch?
Remove leads and tape so you can't see exposed metal. Mark with a number system can put them back later. Remove switch to Camping Wrold, Radio Shack or an industrial electric supply. Someone can match it up for you. Might even see enoough info when you remove or find on line, available in couple days.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #8

Here is a link to a good source for RV parts & accessories. I have ordered from them several times, most of the stuff is in stock and they ship the same day.
12v switch
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

You can buy a direct replacement switch from the manufacturer of the stabilizers. In fact, if you contact their customer support, they may send you one for free as a "good will" gesture.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote