Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #1

Looking for good electrical tech in Colorado Springs?

Was dewinterizing the trailer today and things going well until I started filling the hot water tank. GFI on the house tripped. Now realized that more than likely the HW heating element was gone. Forgot to turn off outside switch for last fall. So set the breaker for HW tank off and for a short time everything seems to be working fine again.

So was running furnace, turned on Hot Water heater for gas and working good. Since it was right at freezing 32, decided to turn the Tank Heater switch on and then immediately lost 110v again. But now can't seem to keep it from tripping the house GFI when somethings turned on connected to the GFI circuit in the trailer. Like our space heater which was working fine until the tank heater switch was flipped. About the only thing that we can run without the house GFI tripping (20a) is a table lamp. 60W. Something is not good now.

I'm going to be calling the local dealer (Sun City Trailers) tomorrow to discuss the problem. Any recommendations for a good electrical tech in the area would be appreciated.

Totally bummed! Had plans for the weekend.

cobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobiker View Post
Was dewinterizing the trailer today and things going well until I started filling the hot water tank. GFI on the house tripped. Now realized that more than likely the HW heating element was gone. Forgot to turn off outside switch for last fall. So set the breaker for HW tank off and for a short time everything seems to be working fine again.

So was running furnace, turned on Hot Water heater for gas and working good. Since it was right at freezing 32, decided to turn the Tank Heater switch on and then immediately lost 110v again. But now can't seem to keep it from tripping the house GFI when somethings turned on connected to the GFI circuit in the trailer. Like our space heater which was working fine until the tank heater switch was flipped. About the only thing that we can run without the house GFI tripping (20a) is a table lamp. 60W. Something is not good now.

I'm going to be calling the local dealer (Sun City Trailers) tomorrow to discuss the problem. Any recommendations for a good electrical tech in the area would be appreciated.

It's probably not as bad as you think. You may have fried the electric heating element, but can just run it on propane until that part is fixed.

As far as the house gfci tripping, this is common when plugging an RV into that kind of circuit. It doesn't take much for a gfci to trip.......and the RV's gfci and the house's gfci will fight each other too.

Are you using any kind of extension cord from the RV to the houses GFCI? Also what kind of adapter are you using to convert from the RV to be able to plug into your house gfci?

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobiker View Post

Also make sure you are using a good quality extension cord. If you don't get a good ground connection GFCI breakers will trip. Try plugging in to another receptacle that is not GFCI protected.

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

GREAT ideas.

1) ARE you using an extension cord? The voltage drop in an extension cord not rated for 30 amps can be considerable and the low voltage available at the camper can cause a lot of damage. Measure the AC voltage at an outlet; anything less than 105 volts AC is very bad.

2) Is the house outlet GFCI protected? Plugging a camper's GFCI into a house GFCI causes the GFCI protection to become unreliable.

3) What is your battery voltage? If your battery is low or dead, you can easily exceed your "20 amp" rated breaker. Also most of these house outlets are actually 15 amp and not 20 amp. The outlets are (supposed to be) different on 20 amp circuits (one blade is "T" shaped; not vertical).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	171842-ProductImageURL.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	52470  
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It's probably not as bad as you think. You may have fried the electric heating element, but can just run it on propane until that part is fixed.

As far as the house gfci tripping, this is common when plugging an RV into that kind of circuit. It doesn't take much for a gfci to trip.......and the RV's gfci and the house's gfci will fight each other too.

Are you using any kind of extension cord from the RV to the houses GFCI? Also what kind of adapter are you using to convert from the RV to be able to plug into your house gfci?

Thanks for the reply. Is replacing the electric heating element a DIY type of job?

I am using a good quality extension cord. I believe its 50ft 14 gauge, from the work shop GFI which is a 20amp circuit. Goes through a 15a to 30a converter to our 30 amp yellow cable.

So reset the GFCI in the trailer bath, but really didn't help.

Hooking up the heater, a Fahrenheat LFP6152 Portable Electric Hydronic Heater, 750 to 1500-watt , to the extension cord feeding the trailer by itself, Voltage right at 124v +/- .2v. with no load, full load drops the voltage to 117v, but the house GFCI does not trip.

But putting the heater in the trailer, Voltage is about 123v +/- and I can only turn the load to about to 1/2 power, voltage drops to 118v before the house GFCI trips.

Seems to me that we've got something drawing more current somewhere else in the trailer than before I flipped the switch for the Tank Heaters. Before that I had the heater full power and was working fine.

I'll be calling around this AM talking with the service folks at the local dealerships.

Thanks for the help.
cobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #6

Have you unplugged the 110 vac side of the water heater to be sure that's not drawing any current?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forest River Forums mobile app
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #7

A 14awg 50' cord will only be rated for about 10-12 amps max. If that is feeding your RV cord then that is even less desirable.

As was pointed out above, plug into a NON GFCI outlet with at least a 12 awg cord, preferably a 10 awg cord.

Heating elements and AC units will wreak havoc on GFCI circuits.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
Have you unplugged the 110 vac side of the water heater to be sure that's not drawing any current?

Sorry, didn't notice you disconnected at the breaker

Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #9

Also the more connections you make (adapters and extension cords) the more of a voltage drop you will get as well which really means more resistance and less power at the final connection point.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Shane is correct. A 14 gauge cord might be OK for a hedge trimmer, but will wreak havoc on your camper.

Buy two 25 foot 30 amp RV extension cords (cheaper than a custom 50 foot one - and if you need one while traveling you will only need a 25 footer normally) and plug directly into the garage socket with an adapter. Running the microwave or air conditioner is a bad idea on an extension cord.

You should not run your microwave or air conditioner on an extension cord (even a 30 amp one) due to voltage drop which can destroy your air conditioner's compressor and your microwave's magnetron without an auto transformer (like a Franks Unit) to boost the voltage back to normal at the camper.

See the review in the Review Forum

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical