Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

Looking surge protector to pole?

Hi folks, i just bought a surge protector. It has two pretty heavy duty looking rings on it.
Am I to assume that is to run a cable lock through to lock it to the electrical box?
Thanks in advance!
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #2

I have had my portable surge protector since 2010. I do lock the power cord to the portable unit but I do not lock the surge protector to the power pedestal. Why? The surge protector offered a plastic lock box when I purchased the unit for free so, I use this.

I have walk around campgrounds and I would say that about 90% of the portable units are not secured to the power pedestal that I have observed using a portable unit.

I always felt if a thief really wants anything they can figure out a simple solution to get what they want.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Mine doesn't have a place to lock it, but I do wrap a cable lock tight around the pedestal and the cord of the surge protector to make it harder to just snatch and grab it.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #4

you guys know there is a differance between a Surge Protector and an EMS Right?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
Hi folks, i just bought a surge protector. It has two pretty heavy duty looking rings on it.
Am I to assume that is to run a cable lock through to lock it to the electrical box?
Thanks in advance!
Can you post a picture of your surge protector or a link to the website.

Cavie, whether it's a surge protector or an EMS, the method for locking it to the power pedestal is all that matters to the OP. Progressive Industries' portable units all use the same double ring for locking to the pedestal (if it has one - some don't). I don't know about other manufacturers' models.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #6

surge protector ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
Thanks in advance!
That is what the ring is for. I use a bike cable to wrap around the post and thru the ring. At least if someone wants to steal it let them work for it.
Ken Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies folks! I really appreciate it!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You mean like this one?
Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X

Every EMS that Progressive sells is also a surge protector.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #9

lock it up

Skip the factory hasp. The padlock below fits well around the 30 amp cord, with cable attached the thing will not sprout legs and walk off.

Also if you check the code on the back and match them up you can get multi packs keyed alike at a big box store for no extra cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37396-albums2177-picture15270.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	193468  
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #10

This is easy to solve. Put in a hardwired one.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You mean like this one?
Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X

Every EMS that Progressive sells is also a surge protector.

You are 100% correct. BUT every Surge Protector is NOT an EMS. Surge Protector and EMS are two intirely different deveices

There is a big differace between the two but most people don't know it and end up with something other than what they thought they bought.

A surger Protector protects against High Voltage Spikes and nothing more. It self distructs when hit by hight voltage.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Can you run 3800 fps?

...the Best of People!

...the Best of People!

Early last spring, the wife and I spent three days at West Branch State Park here in Ohio. When packing out, I left my "Dog Bone" style surge protector on top of the power pedestal. Never thought about it, and didn't even notice it until we got home and had a voice mail from one of the park "Camper Host's".
She left her name and number and told me she took it to the camp office where they would hold it for me. We picked it up the following weekend. One of the reasons we use State Parks, and an RV, is you find the Best of People. We all have a lot invested. Work hard for what we have, and are really there to have fun, and relax. I've asked if I could take pictures of how a guy put up a flag pole, or what brand of gear someone had. I could never imaging stealing from a fellow camper. I could never think of keeping silent if I saw something suspicious either. Your all Friends we haven't met yet. I won't let that get screwed up... but I won't let someone else screw it up either.
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Easy way to not leave the dog bone style surge protector at a campground...

Always leave it attached to the power cord!

Or, if you have a power cord that you have to push into a hole in the camper for storage, don't unplug the surge protector until the cord is stuffed into the storage hole.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Really I did not know that!!!

I have only own my equipment for 10 years and I as a retired engineer I do know the difference. I tend to use the generic term that the poster uses and try not to correct them. For they may know more than ME.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #15

First I would recommend the EMS-PT30X, we have the earlier version in use for five years. The suggested padlocks fit the cord. And the 15 on the package is the lock inventory number for key distribution, ya Im that guy.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Where did the OP even remotely suggest wanting to know the difference between a surge protector and an EMS?

Their question was about LOCKING (yes they spelled it looking) their surge protector to the pole.

Threads on this forum jump sideways so quick lately it isn't any wonder most posters don't come back.

To the OP... yes the rings are for locking.
I have never locked mine nor been parked in a place I felt it necessary.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #17

I have the EMS-PT30X and it cost me $254. You bet I lock it to the pole. I use a chain and lock....just keeping folks honest.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:09 PM   #18

Newb here,

EMS vs surge protector......

It was suggested to get a digital multimeter and a Non contact voltage tester for polarity as useful tools to trouble shoot the electric systems in our Rv, and to test the shore power hook ups.

Would buying a less costly common surge protector that is one time protector, and then the above tools be a acceptable strategy for saving money/ more uses, or am I way off here?
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanm View Post
Newb here,

EMS vs surge protector......

It was suggested to get a digital multimeter and a Non contact voltage tester for polarity as useful tools to trouble shoot the electric systems in our Rv, and to test the shore power hook ups.

Would buying a less costly common surge protector that is one time protector, and then the above tools be a acceptable strategy for saving money/ more uses, or am I way off here?
The Surge Protector is a good tool for home protection. Your chances of running into a Voltage pike in a campground are very minimal as compared to finding LOW Voltage. Low voltage is a killer for an A/C trying to start or running on 102 volts. A/C compressor is a sealed motor. Motors do not like low voltage. EMS is not a diagnostic tool. EMS is a safety device. My professional opinion of 45 years is a Surge Protector is a waste of money for a camper. I have a surge protector on my house. Same one for 28 years. An EMS is a good device to have on a camper service. I do not have an EMS on my house and don't fell a need to have one on my house. Power Company Electric is very consistent.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Really I did not know that!!!

I have only own my equipment for 10 years and I as a retired engineer I do know the difference. I tend to use the generic term that the poster uses and try not to correct them. For they may know more than ME.
If the newbie is not corrected how are they supposed to learn?? They go thru life thinking a Surge Prorector is keeping their equipment safe when in fact it is doing very little for them.

Surge Protector is NOT a generic term. It is the industry name for a specific protection device. It is a specific device designed to do one thing. It is designed to clamp down excessive voltage from entering your system and destroying expensive equipment. It is a one time use device that self-destructs by design. EMS is a very different piece of equipment that provides much information and provides multiple layers of protection. It does not self distruct. Yes it cost more $$$$$