Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

Loose nuetral?

The kids and I are camping this weekend at Yellow jacket resort on the Suwannee river this weekend (beautiful place if you are ever in Fl's Big Bend area). Anyhoo, when any type of load is placed on the campers system e.g. A/C, fridge, the lights get bright. My limited spark-trician electrical knowledge tells me it's a neutral problem. First time it's happened, so I don't think it's my camper. Is my assumption correct? I hate to go bother the maintenance guy if something is off off with my rig.

John

Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #2

maybe if u have 50 amps. i would check the battery connections. then i would check the ac voltage and see if it is changing with the light change. it's a little easier seeing that happen on a 50 amp plugged into a 50 amp rescptical. would be interested in what u find.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMac View Post
The kids and I are camping this weekend at Yellow jacket resort on the Suwannee river this weekend (beautiful place if you are ever in Fl's Big Bend area). Anyhoo, when any type of load is placed on the campers system e.g. A/C, fridge, the lights get bright. My limited spark-trician electrical knowledge tells me it's a neutral problem. First time it's happened, so I don't think it's my camper. Is my assumption correct? I hate to go bother the maintenance guy if something is off off with my rig.

John
I would try to duplicate the situ at home or storage if possible. A "neutral" problem can exist in tons of joints and connections. Somewhat unusual condition. I'd look for how much were you operating in amps. AC + elec water heater you are approaching you AC capacity with much else on. Also unusual for the lights to get brighter with increasing load, esp since they are DC not AC. Takes a lot of drop to converter to affect output. Remember its a 10 to 1 ratio AC in to DC out. A good plug in AC meter would help your troubleshooting keep in view and check if lights dim. My out of the gate guess is your converter is electronically causing it. Its a voltage regulator built in and they do drift output with age. Gotta a DC gauge as well? I suspect the meter will deflect when lights change meaning it could be close to failure or an annoyance for a long time to come.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU

I would try to duplicate the situ at home or storage if possible. A "neutral" problem can exist in tons of joints and connections. Somewhat unusual condition. I'd look for how much were you operating in amps. AC + elec water heater you are approaching you AC capacity with much else on. Also unusual for the lights to get brighter with increasing load, esp since they are DC not AC. Takes a lot of drop to converter to affect output. Remember its a 10 to 1 ratio AC in to DC out. A good plug in AC meter would help your troubleshooting keep in view and check if lights dim. My out of the gate guess is your converter is electronically causing it. Its a voltage regulator built in and they do drift output with age. Gotta a DC gauge as well? I suspect the meter will deflect when lights change meaning it could be close to failure or an annoyance for a long time to come.
It did not even dawn on me that it was indeed the 12v system! My previous experience with this situation was a new home we built. The first time the wife ran the vacuum, the lights got super bright. Electricians helper had mis-wired several outlets (must have done those Friday afternoon after a few beers!) I'm gonna take your advice and hook it to my RV hookup I installed in my pole barn. Let you know what happened.