Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

Lost Power battery power to Coach after 1 week

We are new to RV'ing and can't configure out what happened to our battery power. We had 75 percent power and I turned off the battery disconnect on our sun seeker 2860DS (2016) it is a knob that is turned. A week later I went into to the coach turned the knob to on and went to turn a light on and there was no power - no lights. I turned the switch a few times and no luck. So I turned on the generator and the checked the power level and it was at 75%? I can't figure out how we could be at 75% - if I had no power before turning on generator. we are in New England temperature has been around 45-50 degrees

Thanks,
Steveanddianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #2

You can't check the battery level with the genny on. You have to turn it off and wait a bit. Otherwise it's just reading the power coming off the genny.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #3

Using a voltmeter or circuit tester is the best way to test 12 volt systems. If you can access both sides of the disconnect and make a connection (carefully to avoid a short to ground if the switch is on the positive side), you can jump the disconnect to see if it is not working properly.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanddianne View Post
We are new to RV'ing and can't configure out what happened to our battery power. We had 75 percent power and I turned off the battery disconnect on our sun seeker 2860DS (2016) it is a knob that is turned. A week later I went into to the coach turned the knob to on and went to turn a light on and there was no power - no lights. I turned the switch a few times and no luck. So I turned on the generator and the checked the power level and it was at 75%? I can't figure out how we could be at 75% - if I had no power before turning on generator. we are in New England temperature has been around 45-50 degrees

Thanks,

First 75% is most of the effective usable energy stored in the battery. By disconnecting the iso switch, you have still left some parasitic loads that draw small current but 24/7. 1 week can be common in this situ. Better way is fully charge the battery then place on a trickle charger constant. If not possible, disconnect the battery one side, all connections. Generator takes hours to recharge, make sure breaker(s) are closed. Never use provided led voltmeter to estimate battery state of charge. Get a battery hydrometer at auto supply store.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanddianne View Post

Thanks,
Did you ever fix your problem. Always nice to get back on and let the forum know how you resolved the issue.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

My batteries will not charge plugged in to house power or running gen but will charge when I start the engine. I believe I have a bad inverter ln my 2016 2860DS Sunseeker. I have not been able to locate the inverter. Any ideas on location?
LyleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleS View Post
My batteries will not charge plugged in to house power or running gen but will charge when I start the engine. I believe I have a bad inverter ln my 2016 2860DS Sunseeker. I have not been able to locate the inverter. Any ideas on location?
You have a bad power converter. It is probably in the bay where the shore power cord comes in, or it is built into your breaker and DC panel (WFCO.) Either that or the breaker for the converter is flipped off! Check that first.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleS View Post

Look for a black box at floor level down near the kitchen to control panel (gauges and such) area. It's a push and pop door on ours in with the AC power fuses.

It might be a bad unit but don't jump to conclusions. Check all fuses and also the wiring for any loose or corroded connections. Some connections might be solid while others are loose.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Tags
battery, power