Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
New RV'er

low voltage

I have a wildcat 5th wheel 2004 27RL and have a problem that I have nevr seen before so I'm hoping someone else has. When hooked to a land power I have 110 volts power everywhere needed in the RV. The power in the two outlets in the sleeping area are reading 79 volts. I pulled the plugs and found all is correct. I cannot trace the wiring since it gos up into the ceiling. I checked the fuses they are all good. All other plugs read 110 volts.
Anybody with an idea?
Thanks
Ken
Kenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenl View Post
I have a wildcat 5th wheel 2004 27RL and have a problem that I have nevr seen before so I'm hoping someone else has. When hooked to a land power I have 110 volts power everywhere needed in the RV. The power in the two outlets in the sleeping area are reading 79 volts. I pulled the plugs and found all is correct. I cannot trace the wiring since it gos up into the ceiling. I checked the fuses they are all good. All other plugs read 110 volts.
Anybody with an idea?
Thanks
Ken
where did you measure the voltage at? in the socket or at the terminals attached to the socket? Also do you have GFI in line?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
New RV'er

I checked the socket not the wires. There is no GFI inline.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I checked the socket not the wires. There is no GFI inline.
I think all plug ins are required to be gfci protected in a camper.

My 2005 flagstaff had 8 plug ins with two gfci's to protect 4 and 4.

In other words one gfci protected 4 outlets.
The other gfci protected the othe four.

"Daisey chained together"

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #5

If I were you I pull it out and check the voltage at the wire. You might just have 2 bad sockets or lose wires. I know on my unit which is not the same I have 7 outlets on 1 15 amp breaker. Also check the GFI as Turbo said. That is a weird problem.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

Check voltage to ground. If possible, use an extension cord plugged into shore/house as the ground reference. Then put black meter lead into that ground, and red into camper outlet. If still 97 volts, its a hot wire problem. If you get 110-120 volts, then neutral problem or ground-neutral could be reversed somewhere.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #7

I am trying to remember, but I believe I saw a problem similar when the GFI neutral and line were reversed.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If I were you I pull it out and check the voltage at the wire. You might just have 2 bad sockets or lose wires. I know on my unit which is not the same I have 7 outlets on 1 15 amp breaker. Also check the GFI as Turbo said. That is a weird problem.
This sounds like a loose wire to me as well. A loose wire will arc causing carbon between the wire and the socket contacts (screw or Press Knife). That carbon will cause high resistance (voltage drop and heat).

Feel the socket when something is plugged in.
A hot outlet is VERY dangerous.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
This sounds like a loose wire to me as well. A loose wire will arc causing carbon between the wire and the socket contacts (screw or Press Knife). That carbon will cause high resistance (voltage drop and heat).

Feel the socket when something is plugged in.
A hot outlet is VERY dangerous.
You're right of course, but only when the outlet is under load. The open circuit voltage will be full voltage. I got my money on a neutral problem.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
You're right of course, but only when the outlet is under load. The open circuit voltage will be full voltage. I got my money on a neutral problem.

I been waiting to see what the OP found, You got to remember the unit is 10 years old, I'm sure they worked at 1 time. Unless something was added that's a good question.......

Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
New RV'er

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will work on them one at a time. Even though the rig is 10 yrs old nothing electrical has been added. I bought the rig from a family that was only able to us it twice because of health. The 5er and truck only had 2000 miles put on them since 2005. I went through both completly to get ready for full time use. We are now in out 3rd week of traveling and having a blast. So far this is the only issue that I haven't been able to figure out. So thanks for the help. I'll post the findings.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will work on them one at a time. Even though the rig is 10 yrs old nothing electrical has been added. I bought the rig from a family that was only able to us it twice because of health. The 5er and truck only had 2000 miles put on them since 2005. I went through both completly to get ready for full time use. We are now in out 3rd week of traveling and having a blast. So far this is the only issue that I haven't been able to figure out. So thanks for the help. I'll post the findings.
It sounds like you found quite a fine, I met another person when camping bought the truck and 5th wheel for the same reason. You got lucky but feel sorry for the other people that couldn't use it. Sometimes you just can't control everything, I'm sure you will find the problem, and be set to go...... Thanks for keeping us posted, will wait to hear from you again, stay safe and happy travels.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #13
New RV'er

I finally tracked down the problem. It turned out to be a neutral white wire that came out of a wire nut. It took me a while to find the connection. It turned out to be in the plug box that the DVD player plugged into. No where near the bedroom plugs. Reconnected the white wire into a larger wire nut and everything is back to 110V. It just so happens that the bathroom Create-A-Breeze fan stopped working a month ago so I thought I needed a new fan motor. Once I found the wire nut issue with the 110V I took the vent fan frame off and behold a wire nut fell out. The hot wire connection came apart. I put it back together and everything works fine.
I guess the traveling vibration will shake wires loose if their not put together right in the first place.
Just thought this might help someone with similar problems.
On the road 58 days and loving it.

Tags
voltage