Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 12:08 AM   #1

Magnum Inverter issue

Hi Folks,

I picked up a Berk 390BH about a month ago and just started having an issue with our 1200w Magnum Inverter. I am wondering if I'm missing something obvious, but after searching the forum, I can't figure out what could be happening.

Issue: when connected to shore power or generator, the inverter works as it should (shows AC in and inverts), but the instant the external power is disconnected, the inverter shuts off and I cannot turn it on (per the remote mounted panel in the rig). I can't turn the inverter on without external power supply. Furthermore, once external power source is connected, the remote display shows Absorb for a while and then Float, but the house batteries are NOT being charged when I check the levels.

I am admittedly a newbie to RVs in general, so I don't yet fully understand the set up of the battery bank and inverter, but it appears the connection between the two is to blame.

Thoughts??
andrew_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #2

AG, based on your statements, the remote is also Magnum; your inverter is also your charger. So, when connected to shore or genset, it should show AC but be charging not inverting. Inverter is to produce AC from your batteries when not on shore or genset. Based on the battery voltage, it enters Bulk or Absorb... or Float if Bulk or Absorb isn't needed. I set mine to stay in Absorb for 60 minutes after going to Float. I would begin by looking at battery fluid levels, connections and measuring battery voltage and specific gravity if you can.... if you have removable caps. You don't mention your battery type or quantity or if anything has been touched lately. Tell me how you know, by what method , your batteries are not being charged? In the meantime look at your batteries and connections.

Another point... the inverter needs a load to start inverting... again. without shore or genset.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Arrow

...check if your Inverter is in 'Search' mode... in which case it will NOT start inverting until a load of at least that amount, such as 5amp, is required(in other words, 12v items, or 120v items, that don't exceed 5amps will NOT require the inverter and it will not need to come on)...

also, if you have to, you can RESET your Magnum inverter by pressing and holding the button on the unit itself(mine is in the rear right bay, next to the battery bay)...

for your Charging question - you can check the ChargeRate setting, which should be around 80% for BULK charging, then it changes to ABSORB, then FLOAT(trickle as needed)...

here's some Magnum REMOTE instructions:
http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...ev-D-ME-RC.pdf
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #4

Thanks WW and FR. I have 4 6V Interstate GC2 Deep Cycles that were brand new about a month ago. This issue just started in the past week. Lights and fans and pumps all are working normally when running on house batteries.

Levels in the batteries are all good, and connections all appear/feel secure.

I've noticed on my remote information center (see photo) that the batteries are depleting while on shore power or genset. The remote Magnum panel shows Float, though (see second photo). Nothing technical beyond that, but all I know is the batteries don't appear to be charging.

Previously (before issue started), when not on genset or shore power, I could press the on/off button on the Magnum remote panel and the Invert light would turn green, so on full time, not the "search" mode, but now, the instant I disconnect from external AC power, I can't even turn on the Invert function. It appears the inverter is "shutting off" completely when I disconnect from AC power because when I reconnect to AC power, the Magnum remote panel runs through it's start up "light show" ceremony (all 6 lights light up for a split second individually). Previously, when I connected to AC power, the AC IN light would simply illuminate along with the respective charge mode.

I'll try a hard reset of the Inverter tomorrow when light out. If anyone has any further thoughts please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	130374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	130375  
andrew_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags