Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #21

Very good point Herk! I should add that we always use the breaker and never hot plug. But we just don't check voltage and grounding. That is where the PI unit comes into play.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #22
Wanna Be Camper

I shut the breaker off when disconnecting but not during connection simply because of the PI unit being off during the connection phase. When we break camp the power in on on the trailer and the PI cannot be used to shut it off hence killing the breaker.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
I shut the breaker off when disconnecting but not during connection simply because of the PI unit.
Plugging into the pedestal with the PI "hot" will ruin your PI's cord sooner rather than later. While there is low load on the PI when you initially connect as it checks for proper wiring and voltage, there is still enough initial current to damage the plug on your cable.

You, of course, can do what you want, but those babies aren't cheap to replace because the plug got ruined.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Always make sure the breaker on the post is off before plugging in and be sure to use a good serg protector at the post. Then turn on the power at the post and let the surge protector verify the power at the post. Then turn off the power again and connect your rig power cord to the surge protector and to your unit (if you have a removable cord as on a trailer) then turn the power back on at the post and you should be good and be protected from any surge problems.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcarp View Post
Just wondering thoughts on the Main breaker position,On or Off during plug in to the electrical box? On my motorhome it was easy to get to and use to have it in the off position. Now I have a WindJammer 3025 and with the slides in you can't easily get to the Panel. Hate to leave it on during hook up.
Always have it off at the post!!!!!
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Plugging into the pedestal with the PI "hot" will ruin your PI's cord sooner rather than later. While there is low load on the PI when you initially connect as it checks for proper wiring and voltage, there is still enough initial current to damage the plug on your cable.

You, of course, can do what you want, but those babies aren't cheap to replace because the plug got ruined.
Here is another reason not to hot plug and this hasn't been brought up yet. When you put the plug in the socket at the power pole you take the very real chance of not getting all 3 or 4 pins in the socket to connect at EXACTLY the same time. This will cause a possible high voltage surge or a micro-burst of power as you fiddle with the plug to get it in. At the very least it will take out the little blue power light on the socket cover and or the light on your power cord. (don't ask my wife why we know this)
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #27

I have had to happen just what Herk7769 shows and i believe it is because so many before did not turn off power. Could not get the park to check it out but what happen was the receptical side of plug in was burnt. From many times use and caused the plug on my cord to melt. Since the park would not check i pulled off the cover and saw the 2 blades black from arching. Used my handy little file with a wooden handle and electrical gloves and fixed that one.

Rockwood 2608WS
Paul
Old 04-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Come on Turbs,Thats like saying (I Never look Both ways before I walk across the Street,I let the Blinking Hand Tell Me)! Youroo!!
do you stop at railroad crossing with just lights? or do you trust the lights?
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
do you stop at railroad crossing with just lights? or do you trust the lights?
In regards to the (LAW) it says (Stop/Look/Listen) that is one reason School buses MUST STOP at ALL RR Xing! The (Train) has the ROW! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I just plug in and let the ems do its thing!
x2.5. I don't check the voltage at the panel, but I do shut off the breaker when connecting to avoid arcs. Once connected at both ends I flip the breaker and let the EMS analyze the connection. That's one of the things I paid for.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #31

Breaker

Always turn source off before connecting even if your hardware can handle it why subject anything that may cost you money to chance.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #32

Surge protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
That's the beauty of a progressive industries ems surge guard !
Plug in the camper, ems delays to check voltage and correct wiring then either turns on "voltage good" or it doesnt.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
Unless they put them in when they leave the factory we must not have a surge protector . Turbs is the one you guys are talking about you put on post or in your unit .
emptynest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptynest View Post
Unless they put them in when they leave the factory we must not have a surge protector . Turbs is the one you guys are talking about you put on post or in your unit .
I'm not Turbs, but...

The Progressive EMS is available in either form. They come with a plug and a socket to plug directly into the power source. You plug your cable into it. That eliminates installation hassles but puts the information display outside and creates the potential for theft.

The "permanent" installation requires wiring skills or having someone else do it. You wire it between the main power line coming into the trailer and its connection on the power panel.

If you get the optional remote display you can locate it in a convenient location. It's about the size of a deck of cards and comes with a long wire that connects the display to the EMS.

I said "permanent" in quotes because many users describe installation methods that permit non-destructive removal should you sell your trailer. That allows moving it to the one.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #34

x7 TURBS
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker