Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I have had one the the trunk of my hot rod for 18 years and never in a box,or vented outside. Guess I'm lucky.
I've got one under the mat in the back of my Volt with no vent. It's the 12 v battery used to start the engine when the main battery (a 17kwh Lion 360 volt battery) is discharged, extra power is needed, or the computer just decides it's time to bun some gas to keep the stuff in the tank from going stale.

Car's a hatchback so that puts the battery in an "occupied space".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #22

Smile Battery University Information

This web site has excellent information about a variety of batteries.

https://batteryuniversity.com/about/

Select the learn about batteries tab near the top of the site.

I am taking some printouts to Batteries and Bulbs to discuss what is best for my heavy use trailer battery running a electric only refrigerator.
rayham7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #23

Lithium Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Beg to differ. I have lithiums.
This thread has some interesting conversations on maintenance free batteries VS standard lead-acid batteries.

However, I would love to learn more about lithium coach batteries. Are there many being used in the RV community and how are they performing?
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
This thread has some interesting conversations on maintenance free batteries VS standard lead-acid batteries.

However, I would love to learn more about lithium coach batteries. Are there many being used in the RV community and how are they performing?

The answer is YES and yes. But, rather than taking this thread in another direction, search for lithium or LiFePh or LFP on this site or on IRV2.com. There are many many threads covering the use of LFP in RVs. It's a growing trend so you will find plenty of info.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
There is really no such think as a maintenance free battery. They still have caps. They are just harder to get at. If you look carefully, you can get the caps off.

Except they aren't caps (except maybe for the acid fill at the factory). They are vents. And they don't remove easily for a reason -- they aren't meant to be removed (they are just vents). Removing them will destroy the battery and surely void any warranty.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Except they aren't caps (except maybe for the acid fill at the factory). They are vents. And they don't remove easily for a reason -- they aren't meant to be removed (they are just vents). Removing them will destroy the battery and surely void any warranty.
Actually, you are wrong. They are caps.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:54 PM   #27

AGM

The biggest advantage I have had w/ the AGM batteries are where there is a lot of vibration, EX- ATVs. I have gotten better service out of premium deep cycle.s, Interstates. My experience w/ any of the AGMs has been worse than the deep cycles if they are discharged past the 50% rate. Maybe I had come lemons, but this was true w/ both marine and ATV batteries.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #28
RwWildcat327re

I just put a VMAX agm battery in a toy hauler I'm building because the location of the battery is in a place that will be hard to get to when maintaining water levels. I can't comment on service yet but I can tell you its extremely heavy. (Achey back)
rickndebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #29

Can anyone tell me if the Deep Cycle batteries need a special charger, or can you charge them with the convertor already on board my RV. I have seen it mentioned for certain types you need a special charger but when I have looked at batteries the literature does not specify the need for anything different. I am thinking of a maintenance free battery for my fifth wheel, only use one 12v battery because it came with it. I always hook up at campgrounds no need for anything special. AGM was a thought but not sure if that is one that needs a better charger. I am so confused by the amount of info I have looked at when I just want a battery that will hold a charge longer than 30 days without having to bring it home from the rv lot just to plug it in at home.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
Can anyone tell me if the Deep Cycle batteries need a special charger, or can you charge them with the convertor already on board my RV.
RV converters are designed for deep cycle batteries.
So no, you don't need a special charger.
I don't think adding a separate charger will speed things up that much.
If you always have hookups and never dry camp, any dual purpose marine battery will be fine.
No need to spend a lot of money on fancier batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #31

Bear in mind that if you don't disconnect the battery the parasitic battery drains will deplete most batteries in less than 30 days. Are you totally disconnecting the battery?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Bear in mind that if you don't disconnect the battery the parasitic battery drains will deplete most batteries in less than 30 days. Are you totally disconnecting the battery?
CCWoody, yes I'm sure with the disconnect off everything in the RV is off. I have to turn on the disconnect to operate the landing gear and light up front. My biggest problem I had with this battery is my own fault. I left the disconnect on and left the RV till the battery drained completely. Not once but twice. Might be a senior moment but I have always been anal about turning off the switch. But one gets in a hurry after doing a mouse and bug check where I park my rig, and there you go, left it on. Now I am looking at a battery that may not discharge as quickly, AGM possibly. Deep Cycle battery but one that I don't need to buy an additional or different charger. Then again, I just might go buy another Interstate battery and call it a day. I just was thinking that I did not like having to lift the battery out of its cubby hole under the overhang of the fiver. It bothers my back and to check the water I have to take it out to see the water. Bottom line is I hate to take the battery out to check the water.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
RV converters are designed for deep cycle batteries.
So no, you don't need a special charger.
I don't think adding a separate charger will speed things up that much.
If you always have hookups and never dry camp, any dual purpose marine battery will be fine.
No need to spend a lot of money on fancier batteries.
bikendan, Your the first person who has made any mention about convertors. Let alone whether or not they are designed for deep cycle batteries. I have been looking everywhere online trying to find just that information. You would think it would be readily available, but there is more talk about the invertors and not convertors. I guess with the high end stuff there is more need for an invertor.
As far as not needing to spend a lot of money on a battery, I agree and it might come down to that. But as I said in another post my physical problems with back pain, I would like to keep from having to take the battery out to check the water level. Having a maintenance free battery I would only then have to worry about keeping it charged properly.
Thanks for the reply
Old 12-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #34
Site Team

Floridela, all RVs come with CONverters, few come with INverters.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Floridela, all RVs come with CONverters, few come with INverters.
I will agree that most RV'S come with converters. But if your rig has an electric fridge it will have a INvertor. Buddy has a double wide house type fridge runs on electric. Lots of newer rv's have them, that's all I'm sayin.

Now I need to know if a CONvertor will supply juice to a deep cycle AGM battery and I can put this to rest.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
I will agree that most RV'S come with converters. But if your rig has an electric fridge it will have a INvertor. Buddy has a double wide house type fridge runs on electric. Lots of newer rv's have them, that's all I'm sayin.

Now I need to know if a CONvertor will supply juice to a deep cycle AGM battery and I can put this to rest.
Simple answer-----Yes.

If you don't want to check water just purchase a good Deep Cycle AGM battery, clean battery cable terminals, install, and relax. Buy the largest AGM battery that will fit your battery box/compartment and your budget.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #37

get a marine / rv maintenance free 'deep cycle' battery. there are many brands. our trailer came with a couple of centenial MF27DC batteries. no adding water.

don't trust the factory installed cut-off switch to switch off all loads. install you own cut-off switch to truly disconnect all loads from the batteries. this can be as simple as a disconnect installed on the battery post. i had problems with the batteries holding a charge for 30 days until i installed my own disconnect switch. now when i disconnect the batteries for 30 days at most they only drop 1/10th of a volt if even that. i exercise the generator each month and check the batteries before i start the generator. no problem.

Tags
batteries, maintenance