Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

Manually operating slideout

Does anyone k ow how to operate the slideouts manually on an SP285. For some reason the right one works, the left does not. The fuse is ok but I fear an electrical problem. You are supposed to be able to do it manually but where?
SteveShapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #2

It would help to know the year. Typically you are looking for a hole located either under the slide our, on the opposite side. Depending on the year though, your manual connection may be located either next to, or at the read of the slide motor. Either way, you are looking for a "lug" to connect to.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #3

Manual slide out

Year? Not sure. Probably 2012 or so.

The book shows a place to insert a power drill. Where is that spot located? We've been all over the bottom. We have a hand crank but can't see where it connects unless we are missing a piece.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Infractee

Normally there will be a round hole, usually on the lower metal flashing or "skirt" that you insert the crank into. On all of our campers the hole is on the opposite side of the slide you need to operate.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It helps to know the type of slide that you have. Looking on line, it appears that the dining/sofa slide is a 'through the frame' electric and the kitchen slide is a Schwintek slide. A Schwintek slide will have drive track at all 4 corner of the slide like this...

The two type are very different in their operation. Which slide is not working?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

It's the dining side, not the kitchen side. I can see gears but no where to attach either the crank or a drill.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If that's the case look for an access hole in the frame on the opposite side of the camper...under the kitchen slide. Should be a shaft extending from the drive gearbox that one of your crank handles should fit.

There should be a auto-resetting or manual resetting 12 V circuit breaker on the power feed to the slide drive. Should be in a junction box near the battery. They look like this...the manual reset has a button on the end...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Site Team

My slide motor has a sticker covering the little hex head slot where you insert the bit. Have yo pull sticker off.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #9

Dave, no switches near the battery. And everything but that one vi it works fine. No access through the frame on the other side at all. We ought to be able to call tech support tomorrow.

Dcheatwwod, I can not find any sticker or access at all. I can see the gears. No hex anything.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #10

here is a link for a lippert type slide yours maybe different.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #11

My sp220 is also a 2012. On mine you have to access the motor by removing the kickplate along the dinette. Removing the cushion then the two screws at the corners. The entire kickplate can then be slip up and out of the way to access the slide motor. My manual also shows the supposed drill location, however that is not actually the case.

The steel lug with the cotter pin through it is the actual connection point for manual operation.

It may not be identical to yours, but if you have had no luck finding the exterior hole, then more than likely you will need access to the actual drive motor.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #12

Manual operation of Slide Outs

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. We have found no evidence of anywhere to put a crank or hand drill to do this.

We just put up with having to keep one of them closed.

1.) We tried to call the "tech support" line. We were past the first free year and they would not help me. Since it was a holiday, they still have 24/7 tech support, but you could not sign up in a holiday.

2.) Another person on the phone told us that they could be retracted manually, but not extended manually.

3.) The dealer told us to look for fuses that were not in the fuse box. Great design. I am supposed to crawl under the body tracing wires and looking for more fuses? Terrible design.

We are going back to the dealer to have this fixed. At that time I will ask how to do it manually, if it's even possible.

Amazing how much you learn when you buy your first "RV". There are many things I now know to look for next time.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #13

Steve, I just sent a private message with contact info for the Surveyor department head. He's been very helpful in the past.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #14

ThaNks

Tags
manual, slide, slide out