Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #1

Master Light Switch Problem

I have a 2017 Forest River VIBE. Full disclosure: I should begin this post by stating that my electrical knowledge has come by trial and error over the years … small shocks with each step along the way.

Towards the end of our first ‘long’ trip (5,000 miles - 6 weeks) the master light switch stopped working. Normally when the switch is turned on a group of about 8 interior lights all turn on. Now, the lights do not turn on at the master switch. However, each of the individual lights turn on manually. I am currently plugged into the house 120v with an extension cord. I have done the following:

1. Checked all the breakers and fuses. All ok.

2. Put the volt meter on the two lines going into the back of the switch. It showed power.

3. My thoughts at this point is that possibly the switch has gone bad. So, I uninstalled the switch. I assumed that if I directly connected the wires (bypassing the switch) all the lights would go on. Bad assumption? … they still do not all go on. However, they do still go on individually. New assumption … maybe the switch is not bad.

At this point I’m wondering if the trailer bouncing loosened a wire is loose at some point in the series (maybe at the first point, where ever that is) causing the lights not to turn on.

Before I begin dismantling lights I am hoping for suggestions. All I know to do is look for a loose wire. I have attached a picture of the panel in case that would be of any help. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
TxPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #2

I also have this problem with my 2017 vibe. It appears that I have 12 volts on both sides of the master switch. Which tells me that the switch will not do anything. I can't figure out how I am getting 12 volts on both sides of the switch. It does not matter if I am using just the 12v battery or if I have just the 110v power connected. The switch checked to be working. It looks like the orange/white wire should be hot. but my red/white red/white wire is also hot. everything works as it should except that one main switch will not turn on the inside lights all together. I should state that this switch did work for the 1st year or use. Until this years 1st trip did it not work.
philbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #3

Thank you for the feedback. I still haven't figured out how to correct the problem. Sorry that you are experiencing the same. Yours has been the only response to my post. Yes, mine also worked for about a year and a half then "mysteriously" quit.

For now I will just leave the hall light on when we leave and then turn the lights on and off individually. When I have to take it into the dealership for some other work I will have them look at it. It is not worth parking it at the dealership for a month or so for only that problem. I thought it would be simple to fix. Haa! I should know better.
TxPet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch