Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #1

Melted 30 amp power cord

Last time camping (our first time in the trailer), when we were leaving and I unplugged the power from the pole one of the flat prongs on the end of my cord had melted a little at the base of the prong where it meets the rubber . I have since learned here on this forum that it is usually a problem with the post, not the trailer. I also went and bought a surge protector for the trailer. Had it at the dealer this week to fix some minor issues with the new TT and he did'nt have the parts to replace the power cord. He said they have been ordered but have not come in yet. We are going camping this weekend and I do have a nice surge protector now but am still nervous abt. using my plug thats a little melted. Dealer said he thought it would be fine because he used it there and had no issues. The surge guard I bought was a TRC with the LCD display. My reservations are paid for this weekend and I would hate to cancell the trip . What do you guys think? Thanks
Jim
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #2

The campground post probably had corroded terminals, which heated up as you drew power, which in turn got your cord prong hot enough to melt it a bit.
As long as your cord prongs are clean, I don't really see much issue using it until you can make a permanent fix. The worst that can happen is that it melts a bit more, so maybe just keep an eye on it.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandj1026 View Post
Last time camping (our first time in the trailer), when we were leaving and I unplugged the power from the pole one of the flat prongs on the end of my cord had melted a little at the base of the prong where it meets the rubber . I have since learned here on this forum that it is usually a problem with the post, not the trailer. I also went and bought a surge protector for the trailer. Had it at the dealer this week to fix some minor issues with the new TT and he did'nt have the parts to replace the power cord. He said they have been ordered but have not come in yet. We are going camping this weekend and I do have a nice surge protector now but am still nervous abt. using my plug thats a little melted. Dealer said he thought it would be fine because he used it there and had no issues. The surge guard I bought was a TRC with the LCD display. My reservations are paid for this weekend and I would hate to cancell the trip . What do you guys think? Thanks
Jim
Go to lowes or home depot and get a new end and put it on .
Or have someone do it for you.

Simple as that.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply, I have purchased a toothbrush size wire brush to clean my terminals from now on. I read on here that that was a good idea. Love this forum because I have had so many questions and have found all the answers here. Great place for advice! This is our first camper so it is definately a learning experience.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Go to lowes or home depot and get a new end and put it on .
Or have someone do it for you.

Simple as that.

Turbs

Do they carry RV plugs? I have never checked.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #6

Wrong... worst thing would be a fire.... But it is un likely... As Bakken said make sure to keep the prongs clean... I actually carry a can of electrical terminal cleaner with me... When I get to the site I shut off power to the outlets and spray a bit in each prong of the outlet then I will plug mine in!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post

For sure my friend !
I bought one and it sits in my trailer "just in case"
Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

For sure my friend !
I bought one and it sits in my trailer "just in case"
Ps the carry the power pole "male" end not the trailer twist lock with ring end.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
I've seen that at WalMart as well if there's not a Lowes close by.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post

I've seen that at WalMart as well if there's not a Lowes close by.
Yep
Old 07-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #11

So you don't have an issue this nwxt trip, keep your a/c loads down. Run one big load at a time ie air cond., microwave etc. Small things lighting,TV's etc can continue, you'll have no problem till the plug is repaired.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #12

Buy two to get the free shipping and store the spare in your Rv as a back up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002OU...dir_mdp_mobile

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #13

Jim,

This thread may be of interest to you.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lem-25339.html

In hot weather(like now), I use the fridge, and the water heater on the gas cycle. That saves your amps for the AC. If I run a hair dryer, coffee pot, waffle iron; anything that has a high amp draw; I'll at least turn the tv off and maybe turn the AC up until the item is finished running. Shining the plug pins up with emery cloth/fine sandpaper and using Noalox will help but to be sure/safe, if your plug end is melted, you need to replace the whole cord. I've tried the replacing the end route, and most "experts" will tell you to keep the cord as a whole complete strand of wire. Splicing a new end will work, for a while. The biggest problem is worn out pedestal receptacles.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Jim,

This thread may be of interest to you.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lem-25339.html

In hot weather(like now), I use the fridge, and the water heater on the gas cycle. That saves your amps for the AC. If I run a hair dryer, coffee pot, waffle iron; anything that has a high amp draw; I'll at least turn the tv off and maybe turn the AC up until the item is finished running. Shining the plug pins up with emery cloth/fine sandpaper and using Noalox will help but to be sure/safe, if your plug end is melted, you need to replace the whole cord. I've tried the replacing the end route, and most "experts" will tell you to keep the cord as a whole complete strand of wire. Splicing a new end will work, for a while. The biggest problem is worn out pedestal receptacles.
It is not being suggested that he "splice" a new Plug on the cord.

It is being suggested that he REPLACE the Plug on the Power Cord.

There is no need to replace the entire Power Cord

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #15

The worst thing for any electrical connection is dirty or loose connections. The more power [amps or watts] you use, the more heat produced. Hence the word FIRE... This is the second post I've read about about heating and tripping breakers. Going camping tomorrow for a week. First thing I'm doing is checking all my connections B4 I plug in starting w/the power cord. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #16

Depending how bad it's burnt is the question. I use a product call diyelecric, buy it at napa or some auto parts store put in on the connectors it makes a better connection and easy to pull apart. I think that's what it is called but just tell them you want the lube for electrical connections. use it on all connectors including your TV socket.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #17

Thanks for all the advice, looks like I may get some terminal cleaner and plug my power cord into my surge guard and plug that into the box. I informed the campground of the box once I learned that it was most likely the culprit and reserved a different site there for this weekend. Me and the wife are making a few learning runs close to home before we take our first long trip with the camper. I bought a new 2013 silverado 1500 4x4 with the 5.3 crew cab with 3.42 gears and the towing package to pull this with and it seems to do pretty well. rear end squats a little with the trailer but thats abt. it.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandj1026 View Post
...I bought a new 2013 silverado 1500 4x4 with the 5.3 crew cab with 3.42 gears and the towing package to pull this with and it seems to do pretty well. rear end squats a little with the trailer but thats abt. it.
You should get the squat out with the WDH adjustment. TV & trailer should both tow level.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Ps the carry the power pole "male" end not the trailer twist lock with ring end.
I now carry the Camper end as well. Finding the male end is a heck of a lot easier apparently than the female end. I had to drive an hour to buy the entire cord (100 bucks) because there was not a female end available in the Southern NJ.

Marinco-AFI - Plugs & Connectors - Female Connector

I must not have twisted it far enough to get a positive lock and the hanging wire caused some arcing in the plug.
THESE ARE NOT MY PHOTOS.
But they sure could have been. (except for the corrosion on the ground plug.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-1-12008.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	35145   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-1-12007.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	35146  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not to mention the twist lock plug alone is expensive.
At worse I carry an rv 50' cord "two 25' ers connected in the middle with for mention male and female twist lock"
Several emergencies can be fixed with this cord.
Length.
Female twist lock.