Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
MI Camperz

melted plug, receiver

We are seasonal and unplugged for the winter last October 2013. When we did, we noticed the plug that goes into the camper was melting, along with the receiving end. I forgot about posting that, but did get nice responses about it needing to be tightened or cleaned.
DH says the plug pushes in and then you turn it to lock it in place.
My next question is: do you think it could have melted or fried the rest of the electrical wiring inside and throughout camper? Everything was working, so we didn't notice anything.
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #2

A dirty male or female connector or the connection being loose could cause resistance and cause the plug to get hot. Clean as best as you can and try a a little dielectric grease on the plug and see if that helps.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
MI Camperz

Thanks. I'm sure we'll be replacing the parts. I just hope it didn't cause any melting or problems beyond the plug.
Something new to learn every day.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #4

Unlikely you were pulling enough power to melt the plug.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
MI Camperz

Well, the metal wasn't melted, but plastic/rubber was and there was black on the prong inlet. I'm not exactly using technical terminology, but trying to describe it best I can. To me, it looked like we were on the verge of a fire.
Funny thing too, we had a new surge protector.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Well, the metal wasn't melted, but plastic/rubber was and there was black on the prong inlet. I'm not exactly using technical terminology, but trying to describe it best I can. To me, it looked like we were on the verge of a fire.
Unplug both ends of the shoreline, clean the male end of the plug (end that plugs into the trailer) so it is free of all black, etc. Taking a small straight screwdriver, bend the two spades together on the plug. Clean the prongs on the male end of the receptacle(Trailer receptacle). Put dielectric salve on the terminals and if you can, put some in the female end of the plug. Hook the shoreline back up to the trailer and tighten the threaded cap to hold the plug securely to the trailer. Finish by plugging into pedestal and flip the breaker back to the on position. Doubtful the wiring is damaged inside the trailer as the resistance was at the plug.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #7

Was this just at the camper end? If so, the contact on one leg could have been weak causing high resistance which manifests itself as heat which causes higher resistance. It's a self perpetuating system.

That weak contact could have been where the plug attaches to the house wiring inside or where the cable connections are made outside.

You're right with replacing both sides. Odds are everything inside is fine, if the connection was solid then breakers would pop before the connection would start heating up.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
MI Camperz

Thanks everyone for replying. DH and I are reading and learning.
Just want you to know that we really appreciate it.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers
Its clear what you are saying, the plug could have over heated at the shore post or the connection at the camper side.
Either way most likely cause is the camper load was right up to or slightly above the plug current (amp) rating. The plug and receptacles are the weak points of the chain and any cause of poor connection will cause overheat. Surge is excess voltage, some trip on low voltage but don't guard against high current and heat.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #10

I had the same problem. Caused by poor connection between cord and TT. Cleaned blade on TT and purchased a new cord. No problems in 2 years. The aftermarket cord seems to make better contact then the cord that came with the TT. If the blade on the trailer looks damaged after cleaning black off I would replace it also. If not damaged no need to replace.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #11
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I had the same problem. Caused by poor connection between cord and TT. Cleaned blade on TT and purchased a new cord. No problems in 2 years. The aftermarket cord seems to make better contact then the cord that came with the TT. If the blade on the trailer looks damaged after cleaning black off I would replace it also. If not damaged no need to replace.
Thanks Caper and everyone. Seems to be unanimous that it is poor connection. We will definitely be buying a new chord and inlet.
How does one judge these things before hand? I mean, nothing seemed dirty or loose.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Thanks Caper and everyone. Seems to be unanimous that it is poor connection. We will definitely be buying a new chord and inlet.
How does one judge these things before hand? I mean, nothing seemed dirty or loose.
Just buy a new plug and install it on your old cord if you're worried. I doubt very much if you need the receptacle on the trailer.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
MI Camperz

Thanks again OC. Can't thank you enough for your generosity in talking through this. You and everyone.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers
Thanks again OC. Can't thank you enough for your generosity in talking through this. You and everyone.
As for early warning, the plug should never feel more than warm to the touch.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #15

If everything is not seated snug, there is a chance of arching that will cause heat build up. Have you also thought about getting a surge protector? Some campgrounds/boxes may have voltage control issues.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
If everything is not seated snug, there is a chance of arching that will cause heat build up. Have you also thought about getting a surge protector? Some campgrounds/boxes may have voltage control issues.
Post #5 "... we had a new surge protector."
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote