Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
MI Camperz

melted power plug

Unplugged for the year yesterday and found the plug and receiver were melting. We still had power. We have a portable surge protector too. Whats the deal?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Unplugged for the year yesterday and found the plug and receiver were melting. We still had power. We have a portable surge protector too. Whats the deal?
You have loose receptacles. Kill the power and take the receptacle apart and bend the lugs so they make better contact. Clean them also.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

not knowing how your RV is wired and not knowing where your portable surge protector is in the circuit, this is for certain, plug is melting because of heat, heat is created because of high resistance. Short term high power usage with high resistance creates heat almost instantly but might not trip a breaker or be sensed by surge protector! could be dirty or loose connection plug/receptacle or a bunch of other things?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
not knowing how your RV is wired and not knowing where your portable surge protector is in the circuit, this is for certain, plug is melting because of heat, heat is created because of high resistance. Short term high power usage with high resistance creates heat almost instantly but might not trip a breaker or be sensed by surge protector! could be dirty or loose connection plug/receptacle or a bunch of other things?
Totally agree with above statement, would go further and say you are always running on the edge, and drawing 31-33 amps "just under the radar" of camper or shore breakers. I've had it happen to me where drawing just over the line= damaged plug. Remember the cord is rated to 30 amps, the intent is to stay just under that cause it is not a 100% efficient connection.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Totally agree with above statement, would go further and say you are always running on the edge, and drawing 31-33 amps "just under the radar" of camper or shore breakers. I've had it happen to me where drawing just over the line= damaged plug. Remember the cord is rated to 30 amps, the intent is to stay just under that cause it is not a 100% efficient connection.
Don't forget there is a safety factor in the cord and plugs. My 30a cords are 8 ga which is more than capable of carrying 30 amp.

IMO, the OP's problem is either dirty or loose connections or both.

Tags
power