Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
When the state park guy and I were talking about electrical things in general, he stated that one of the biggest things he get's called out on, is people overloading their 30 amp RV's and thus tripping the breakers.

He says he get's argued with a bunch, especially with newer RV'ers who don't understand the limited power they have. He was laughing, when he said there sure must be a lot of lying RV salesmen somewhere, cause of the sheer amount of people who argue with him that the salesman said they could use everything at the same time.

He said he wished he had some kind of handout to explain it all. I told him that when I came back up there, the first of October, I would have him something gleaned from these forums to fit the bill.

Like I said this is my favorite park, and they really go out of there way to always accommodate our camping/geocaching groups. Many of the employees, including this one, will come eat with us at the cookouts...as we always invite them.
This would be very handy for him.

normal appliance amp draws

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:44 AM   #12
MCTroy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Troy.Ohio
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
This would be very handy for him.

normal appliance amp draws

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Thank you Turbs! We have struggled with limited electrical service this summer. Your AMP guide is very useful. We have gone to one appliance at a time with the ac on. That seems to be working. Thankfully, we can use the coffee pot with the ac on!
__________________

__________________
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Thank you Turbs! We have struggled with limited electrical service this summer. Your AMP guide is very useful. We have gone to one appliance at a time with the ac on. That seems to be working. Thankfully, we can use the coffee pot with the ac on!
Your welcome!
It's not exact but a great guideline.
Have fun!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
He said he wished he had some kind of handout to explain it all. I told him that when I came back up there, the first of October, I would have him something gleaned from these forums to fit the bill.
This is a great idea... which is why for the last several years I've offered to create an official No~Shock~Zone handout to numerous RV manufacturers, RV parks, and state campgrounds, but with no traction as of yet. I've been pitching the idea of a one-page, waterproof handout that would cover pedestal outlet measurement, calculating power needed for your RV, hot skin testing, etc...

Of course, I can do this legally since I create my own graphics and own the copyrights. But please remember that compiling a handout for duplication using graphics from my No~Shock~Zone site would be a copyright violation. Of course, you all can copy and compile anything from my articles for your own use. But these parks really should be contacting me directly about creating this sort of handout for the public. Can you please put me in contact with them? Maybe this time they'll be interested.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
__________________
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
This is a great idea... which is why for the last several years I've offered to create an official No~Shock~Zone handout to numerous RV manufacturers, RV parks, and state campgrounds, but with no traction as of yet. I've been pitching the idea of a one-page, waterproof handout that would cover pedestal outlet measurement, calculating power needed for your RV, hot skin testing, etc...

Of course, I can do this legally since I create my own graphics and own the copyrights. But please remember that compiling a handout for duplication using graphics from my No~Shock~Zone site would be a copyright violation. Of course, you all can copy and compile anything from my articles for your own use. But these parks really should be contacting me directly about creating this sort of handout for the public. Can you please put me in contact with them? Maybe this time they'll be interested.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
No worries, Mike. What I was referring to was more like the amp draw chart that Turbs posted and overloading 30 amp power supplies.

However, your idea is even better and would be more beneficial.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:06 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
wanderer69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
I'm Mike Sokol from The No~Shock~Zone. Thanks for posting links to my RV Electrical Safety articles above. FYI: I'm beginning a series of new videos about RV electrical hookups and safety. Here's one I just made about testing portable generators for a floating neutral and an easy way to correct it so a Progressive Industries EMS Surge Protector will operate properly. This has been vetted by the engineering staff at Progressive, and they now sell a pre-wired G-N bonding plug if you don't want to wire your own.



Mike Sokol
The No~Shock~Zone
Mike, If you could clarify for me. If I am running two Yamaha's in parallel, will it require a separate bonding plug for each generator? I'm doing my research before purchasing and installing a Progressive Industries EMS and have only just now become aware of this issue.
__________________

__________________
Tom
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 CC DRW Diesel
2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.