Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #1

Moving the battery bank

I have found myself dry camping for longer and longer periods the last couple seasons and decided to up my amp hours with 4 6v Trojans. The bank of batteries increases the tongue weight too much for my taste, so I am looking into alternate locations. There is a perfectly sized storage compartment under the dinett seating that they will all fit comfortably in their storage box.

Now, if I plumb a 2" pipe to the exterior of the tailer and seal the interior compartment access with weather stripping, should that be sufficient ventilation for the battery off gassing?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

If your dinette is in a slide; watch out.
Don't overload your slide because you may not be able to open or closed it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tony,

Two concerns I would have in storing the batteries inside an RV interior compartment is the venting, which you are addressing, and also resisting the effects of corrosive battery acid fumes to your storage compartment (even if you seal the compartment).

Maybe a vented battery box within the compartment would work better to solve both of those issues.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hi Tony,

Two concerns I would have in storing the batteries inside an RV interior compartment is the venting, which you are addressing, and also resisting the effects of corrosive battery acid fumes to your storage compartment (even if you seal the compartment).

Maybe a vented battery box within the compartment would work better to solve both of those issues.
X2
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

I guess I would be a little concerned with that kind additional weight on one side of your trailer. Not sure if this would be an issue. I suppose it depends on the 'layout of the land' of your TT. You could take your TT to a scale and find out the weight on both sides of your axels to see if it is viable.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #6

Seat in question is not on a slide out and sits directly over the axles, pretty well centered. I can easily seal off the large plastic golf cart style battery box I have and attach a vent hose to the outside much like the picture provided by Triguy.

I read a bit into this topic on a luxury boating forum, most folks had their battery bank right in the bedroom cabin and vented into the room, which seemed weird but they had not much concern, I'd rather go the rout of caution and seal/vent to the exterior, call me odd.