Old 08-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

Mower ate my power cord!

I have a 2010 coachmen freedom express 291qbs and my mower ate the power cord. Is this something the everyday guy can replace or do I need 'more than basic' skills to replace this? Also, I would like to put a longer cord in, could I use a 50' cord as a replacement?

Thanks! Dave

Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaboston View Post
I have a 2010 coachmen freedom express 291qbs and my mower ate the power cord. Is this something the everyday guy can replace or do I need 'more than basic' skills to replace this? Also, I would like to put a longer cord in, could I use a 50' cord as a replacement?

Thanks! Dave
Not being familiar with your particular RV, is the cord the detachable type? Is it also a 30 amp or 50 amp.

If you are just going to replace the cord, it is pretty straightforward, especially if the detachable type. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14354-.../dp/B00269815E

If you do decide to get a longer cord, you just want to make the sure the wire gauge is of the proper size for the length and amps you will pull.

Was you going to replace or try to repair the cord?

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #3

Don't know what unit you have but most are pretty easy to replace. May have to slide out converter to get to wire connections. I'm not an electrician, but I think I would stay with the shorter cord and use an extension when necessary. Power is terrible at a lot of CG and having extra length will decrease your available power at the end of the run. Only add length when you have to, plus it will be hard to shove that much cord in the hole.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

"more than basic skills" is a relative term one persons basic to another could be a mile apart. They really are not difficult, just follow the cord into the power center inside and pull the cover off and note what color wire goes where before unhooking everything.
You can find replacement cords all over the place on the net or from your local rv dealer. I would not waste the money on a 50 amp cord when your camper is 30 amp. Sure it could be done but there would be NO benefit from it. In fact there would be draw backs. More expensive cord, have to buy a 50->30 amp adapter to use the cord and probably have to make larger holes in the power center box to fit the new cord, all to gain zip.

To get a longer cord you would probably have to get the next bigger gauge wire.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #5

Its a 30A and I am looking to replace. I don't believe it is a quick disconnect. It is of the type that you pull out of the side of the trailer and feed back in. I assumed that it was hard wired, 3 wires but wanted to make sure there wasn't any 'hidden' issues that I needed to be aware of. My over plan was to disconnect, tie a rope to the end, pull it out, tie the rope to the new cord and pull it back in and hook it up.

Also, all the replacement power cords I have found have the quick connect end on it. Is there a special cord to use when it is hardwired or do I just cut the end off?
Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Walmart has this--
Road Power 30 Amp Extension Cord - Walmart.com

It's a 30 foot 30Amp RV extension cord.
Buy 2. Cut the end off one and install it in your trailer.
Use the 2nd if you need more reach.

You'll have your 50' and it's $20 cheaper than the 50 footer from Amazon.
And you don't have to fool with so much cord unless you need it.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acableguy06 View Post
I would not waste the money on a 50 amp cord when your camper is 30 amp. wire.
I misread your post, I for some reason read it as you asking about using a 50 amp cord. My apologies.

KYDAN has a very good solution posted for replacement cords, that is what I would do.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #8

Bob213 correctly points out about useing only the length that is required. It is much better to have two that plug in to each other for more length ONLY when you need it. Good Luck
Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Anacortesians

My rig has a generator, so the shore power cord is hard-wired inside the transfer relay box. Since I'm such a twit, I had to replace the power cord twice and the transfer relay box once in the first month we had the RV.

The first time, I lowered the jacks and the left rear jack foot chopped through the cord. A week or two later, I started to back off the driveway with shore power still hooked up. The left side rear wheels ripped the power cord out of the transfer relay box, bringing part of the relay's innards with it and burning up part of the box.

I now have a big placard on a Velcro dot on the instrument panel with "WARNING - Shore Power Cord Connected" on it. It's part of my post-docking checklist to stick it on there once I've hooked up.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #10

One down, one to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Walmart has this--
Road Power 30 Amp Extension Cord - Walmart.com

It's a 30 foot 30Amp RV extension cord.
Buy 2. Cut the end off one and install it in your trailer.
Use the 2nd if you need more reach.

You'll have your 50' and it's $20 cheaper than the 50 footer from Amazon.
And you don't have to fool with so much cord unless you need it.
Cord replaced. Easy peasy!!!

Ordered a replacement jack for the electric POS that came on it. It will be here tomorrow. I ordered the husky 5000lb with remote. I am hoping it will be as easy as hooking the trailer to the truck, removing the wire, 3 bolts and put the new one on and hook it up!

Tags
power