Old 11-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #41
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Sorry, it was a response to Still Kickin's post.

Cool beans. I assume it's impossible to know if this battery will support us for a night of furnace use... ?

Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Cool beans. I assume it's impossible to know if this battery will support us for a night of furnace use... ?
It all depends on the voltage before you go to sleep and how long the furnace runs that night.

The 30,000 BTU furnace pulls 4.5 amps when running at 12 volts. Suburban NT-30SP Furnace 30000 BTU 4.5 Amp Draw Trailer Camper RV

If the battery is at full capacity and ONLY the furnace is running (BS; I know but for example) the DP24 (at 75AH) will last for 75/4.5 (16) hours.

So if the battery is 50% depleted when you go to bed (battery voltage 12.1 or "G" light just goes out on the idiot panel), you will have 37.5 AH remaining. At 4.5 amps continuous, you will get 8 hours of furnace remaining till dead as a doornail.

If the battery is in poor overall health (less than 75AH Capacity - when new out of the box - Available when charged), low temperatures at the battery, actual "ON" time, and state of charge at the beginning of the evening, your actual run time will vary greatly.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Display.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	66789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charge Chart.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	66790   Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroMonitor.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	66791  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #43

Quote:
The kid yesterday when I dropped it off said it was reading 12.0volts when he put a voltmeter on it and told me to not have high hopes.
Unfortunately today, he was with a different customer as the kid I got today wasn't extremely helpful- he plugged in a portable machine, it did it's thing and he said it was showing good.

So that's where I'm at.

I did measure the compartment/battery box. Strangely, there's a huge amount of storage space down there, but only a small inset for a battery (12"x7" and maybe 10" tall).
12.0V is about a 20% state of charge... bad and damaging to let any 12V battery get that low. Did you charge it fully overnite and THEN let it rest for at least 24 hours before that measurement was taken???
If so...replace it. If not..DO THAT first then just check your own voltage with a multimeter...DO NOT MEASURE UNLESS THE BATTERY has been off charge and disconnected for 24 hours.
12.6-12.7V ....fine and dandy
12.4-12.5V....lost some capacity and aging.
12.3....or less...time to get a new one.

NOW...note that you have DP dual purpose marine max group24 battery. This is capable off storing around 75-80 amp hours of which you can USE half while out camping and without "shore power". That is NOT much. I would want at least double that to do overnite camping as 35-40 amp hours won't support much electrical use.
Note also that marine max makes a DC24 (deepcycle) which is a true deep cycle. You won't get more amp hours but you will get more cycles before death!
To get more amp hours you need to add another group 24, or replace the existing with a larger pair of 12V or 6V batteries...more if you want to boondock a lot.
Hope this helps a bit and lets you play more movies!
Edit...Herk just beat me to the punch & he has it all right. I just note that while a single group 24 in great shape COULD power your furnace all nite...it would not do that and your lights or TV etc. without getting below the 50% threshold where damage gets done to battery life.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #44
Fulltime family RVer

Thanks guys. The battery was charged for a good 18 hours or so but it was unplugged right away and tested with their tester magic machine.

I need to have my father-in-law show me how to use my voltmeter. I'll do what you recommend- recharge it and let it sit for a bit before testing it.

Thanks again. If anyone has tips, I'm all ears!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:51 AM   #45
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks guys. The battery was charged for a good 18 hours or so but it was unplugged right away and tested with their tester magic machine.

I need to have my father-in-law show me how to use my voltmeter. I'll do what you recommend- recharge it and let it sit for a bit before testing it.

Thanks again. If anyone has tips, I'm all ears!
My pair are 5 years old now and still going strong. There is a downside to taking care of your batteries; that is not getting that pair of awesome deep discharge 155AH gel batteries that have been in my Amazon wish list for 4 years.

Amazon.com: QTY 2 Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr155 AGM Deep Cycle 12v 310ah total at 12V (155ah ea) SLA rechargeable Battery for Use with Pv Solar Panels,Smart chargers wind Turbine and Inverters: Electronics

These are a few pounds lighter:

http://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vmax.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #46
Mod free 5er

I use a pair of the cheapest Walmart deep charge sealed batteries of which water level cannot be checked as the covers are glued down. So far no problems, but they're only 2+ yrs old. When they go bad, I will just replace them with the same kind. We don't boondock so we don't worry how long they will last without shore power. Just use them to power the lights, jacks and emergency break away brakes.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #47
Fulltime family RVer

OldCoot, I generally don't boondock either. Unfortunately I'm trying to get to Florida with as little time off of work as possible which means doing it with just one overnight stop. We'll be stopping very late the first night and I'd hate to be "that guy" arriving around midnight. We'll see...
Old 11-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #48
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OldCoot, I generally don't boondock either. Unfortunately I'm trying to get to Florida with as little time off of work as possible which means doing it with just one overnight stop. We'll be stopping very late the first night and I'd hate to be "that guy" arriving around midnight. We'll see...
If your batteries are good, they will be charging all time you are towing provided your truck is wired properly, so a 5 or 6 hr stop should not deplete them using just lights and the jacks if you stop in a Walmart, etc. If you're worried, leave the truck running while you run the jacks.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #49
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If your batteries are good, they will be charging all time you are towing provided your truck is wired properly, so a 5 or 6 hr stop should not deplete them using just lights and the jacks if you stop in a Walmart, etc. If you're worried, leave the truck running while you run the jacks.

Battery (single) is questionable. And it's more overnight furnace use in December that I'm concerned about. We'll see.

Worst case, we do just what you say: run slides and jacks while the truck is running. If the furnace makes it, great. If not, well, we'll just sleep cold.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #50
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Speaking of charging and wired properly- how do I test that?

Tags
battery, water