Old 11-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #51

Here's a you-tube of how to check voltage...same on a big battery as a little one!

As to charging and wired properly...while charging and with the battery connected... do the same test...touch the two leads from the voltmeter to the battery terminals. You should read a MINIMUM of 13.2 volts OR a maxiimum of around 14.5V if you are charging. And the meter should not show a minus (-) sign if you are touching black to negative and red to positive terminals.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #52
Site Team

As a general rule, the 12V aux wiring in most tow vehicles is not sufficient to add a significant charge to the battery while being towed if there is any reasonable 12V draw by the TT . The problem is that the wire gauge in the standard vehicle wiring harness and the length of the wire run results in the voltage at the battery being too low to add a significant charge to the battery. This is especially true if the battery is not fully charged and trying to add a significant amount of charge. If you have the need to have your TV recharge your battery during towing, I recommend replacing the 12V aux wire in your harness with a much larger gauge wire.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #53
Fulltime family RVer

I think I'm going to just replace the battery. I did some Googling and found that a fairly local battery shop has the Trojan 27TMH in stock for about $145. That's a lot cheaper than what I'm seeing them go for online and the only "shipping" is me running up there (or more likely sending my pretty lady).

From measurements, the battery will fit where my Group 24 was previously. It'll be snug length-wise, but it should just make it (space is 13").

My luck, I'll spring for the battery and we won't end up parking lot-docking it.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #54
Fulltime family RVer

I bought an analog voltmeter and decided to try it out on the new battery. I'll be honest, I've had to watch a video on how to read this thing (linked below)!

Since I have it on DC250, am I reading this scale correctly that the battery is showing7v? It's new and I haven't put it on a charger yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417900418.871436.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	67200

The video:
http://youtu.be/9rGDx92McTY
Old 12-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's new and I haven't put it on a charger yet.
Just to clarify.. this is a new battery.. was it already filled when you bought it, or you just filled it yourself and are testing your meter?

You are reading it fine.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #56

Can't really see the selection on your meter. Put it down to a lower scale, on the selector switch it will read easier. Try it on it looks like 10 v dc. and see if it stills reads 7 volts. The link will really do you no good being they are using a simpson meter. Why would you buy a analog instead of digital meter? Just a question? If it is new battery it should read 12.8 or so if not take it back, you don't know how long it sat at the state.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #57
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Just to clarify.. this is a new battery.. was it already filled when you bought it, or you just filled it yourself and are testing your meter?

You are reading it fine.
I just bought it. I don't know that they did or didn't fill it- do you mean charge it or with water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Can't really see the selection on your meter. Put it down to a lower scale, on the selector switch it will read easier. Try it on it looks like 10 v dc. and see if it stills reads 7 volts. The link will really do you no good being they are using a simpson meter. Why would you buy a analog instead of digital meter? Just a question?
Glenn, see if this larger picture of the selector dial helps. I'll try lowering it to 10v DC and see how it changes.

If the link is for a different kind of multimeter, what do I have to do searches against?

As for why analog? Because everyone on the forum said I needed one and I bought what WalMart had without really knowing what I was buying. You'd be amazed at how confusing this stuff is for me - even the "simple" stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417902039.811773.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	67201
Old 12-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #58

I'm not criticizing you at all. Just wanted to point out that digital is lot easier to read. If your reading 7 volts, it's a lot easier to see it @ 10v then at 250 DC. I had a simpson, so I understand the video. As far a reading 7 volts brand new I would take it back. All batteries come full charged or they where not maintained during it being kept in stock. The battery could be damaged even being new. It would be the same as if you took your battery out and left it in garage all winter without charging it. I would be leary of it myself. Your manual will probably give you more help then y-tube. Please don't misunderstand my statement. Analog meters are hard to read unless you are use to them. I use to use analog but when they came out with digital I jumped for joy. I'm really more concerned if your battery is reading 7 volts out of the box. I new battery with electrolyte should not drop to 7 volts. Just trying to help you. If I were you and being a great IT person and not a electrician you would be better off with a digital. If you can take it back I would. Look up Amazon they have a digital UNI-T, it will read ac and dc voltage plus it has a clamp to read current. What I mean by that is you open the clamp and put it around your hot wire and it will show the exact amps your pulling it will also allow you to do that on the DC side. It cost I think 65.00. Surly didn't mean any harm or insult....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 12-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #59
Fulltime family RVer

No insult taken. We're all good! I'm ordering a digital one and am going to borrow my father-in-laws. I'll re-test it and see what it says. If it's that low, I know that they have another that I should be able to swap it out for.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
No insult taken. We're all good! I'm ordering a digital one and am going to borrow my father-in-laws. I'll re-test it and see what it says. If it's that low, I know that they have another that I should be able to swap it out for.
I would order the one from amazon, it is the only multi meter that I have seen that can read dc current in a circuit. You will find that very helpful if you put it around the charge wire to the battery and it will show you how many amps your really putting into it and what your charger is doing. Good luck Doug if you need any help just ask, I'll be glad to do what I can for you.....And when my computer breaks or something you can help me. I think a new battery will last you over night if your conservative. Just think a NEW ADVENTURE.....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k

Tags
battery, water