Old 06-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Mystery Alarm

Good evening,

I had a mysterious alarm going off in my Micro Lite 18RK today. The shore power cord was not connected so there was no power going into the converter, assuming I still had battery power though. I heard a continuous alarm going off and it wasn't the smoke detector or CO detector, this was a continuous tone. The only way to silence it was to push the switch for the slide-out, which didn't work. The alarm silenced for a while, but then it came back on. It sounded like it could have been coming from the converter. Do the slide-outs only work with 120V power connected? Is the alarm normal? Sorry to ask so many questions, we've only had this camper a few weeks now.

David
Port Orange
2011 Flagstaff Micro Lite XLT RK18

Old 06-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Feel free to ask all/any questions. That's the main purpose of these forums, as to share knowledge.

Many times, the alarm you are hearing, is the 12 volt low power alarm on your CO and/or propane leak detector.

When your battery gets low, these detectors will start alarming/beeping to let you know. The detectors (if not together in a combo unit) also have an end of life alarm sometimes, and you have to replace them if this is the case.

I have a feeling that when you are attempting to operate the slide, it tried to pull power from the battery (which is discharged and the reason the slide is not working) and may have briefly interrupted power to the alarming detector.

These detectors are also what we call phantom draws. When you are not connected to shore power, you battery supplies constant 12 volt DC power to these detectors. They will usually drain your battery also due to these phantom draws that many people do not realize. It'll pull my battery down in a week, if I don't disconnect the batteries negative cable or plug into shore power so my converter can charge the battery.

Here are some good articles I always suggest for those starting...and as stated, feel free to ask anything. Someone will always help.

This one touches on all the RV's electrical systems, including the battery.

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

and converter info

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

I know in another thread, you discussed having a 2011 model RV you just recently purchased. You may want to check the battery out, as it may not be operating correct (or could be bad and not hold a proper charge)

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

David,

Your slides motors are 12volt and do not require you to have 120 connected to operate providing of course your batteries are charged.
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Site Team

David, I know in another thread we have been conversing in, your shore power cord is currently out of action. If you have a regular battery charger handy, you can just use it to recharge your RV battery in place on the RV. Just make sure to look at the battery(not the cable colors of the RV wires) and connect positive to positive and negative to negative.

Recharging the battery should also alleviate the alarm if it is coming from a detector.

The reason I said to look at the battery and not the cable colors, is that many RV's use wire cable colors similar to house wiring. You need to realize this also in case you ever pull your RV battery out. The black wire could be the positive + wire. Something to pay attention to in your ever expanding RV education. LOL

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
If you have a regular battery charger handy, you can just use it to recharge your RV battery in place on the RV. Just make sure to look at the battery(not the cable colors of the RV wires) and connect positive to positive and negative to negative.
I do the same thing. I've had really good luck with the CTEK chargers. Plug it in and forget it. It won't let you hook it up backwards, you don't have to worry about the converter deciding to overcharge if something goes wrong with it, and it comes with a set of ring terminals and a quick connect so you don't have to mess with the alligator clips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ctek_battery_charger2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	111644  
Old 06-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #6

Well, it sounds like the next thing I will be purchasing is a new battery because it should not have drained in 4 hours. That's about how long it was from the time I disconnected the shore power, until I tried the slide-out and it wouldn't open. That's also when that alarm was going off. I didn't even realize I had those detectors and certainly don't have a clue where they are. I know there's a ceiling mounted CO detector not far from the smoke detector, but they are both battery powered of course. I don't recall reading anywhere in my owner's manual about the propane leak detector or another CO detector, but my manual appears to be written for just about every travel trailer that Forest River makes! Much of it isn't applicable to my little 18 footer. Would those detectors also be on a fuse? I can take a look at the fuse panel and see if anything labeled like that.

By the way, I was able to get the old shore power cord plugged in just to run the A/C and charge the battery, plus open the slide-out, new cord is being delivered by Amazon tomorrow.