Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

You really can't go wrong with Trojan brand although there are some good Interstate ones.

When mine go bad I will be buying a pair of 12 volts Trojan SCS 115AH Group 27s. http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/dee...-cycle-battery

Lots of power for boondocking at a reasonable price (WATCH OUT FOR SHIPPING as the charges from this company are high).

If you want to go Gel Cell I bought 3 of these 80AH units for my sump pump backup pumps.

Amazon.com: PowerStar--12V 80AH Replacement Battery UB12750 Group 24, Marine Sealed Lead Acid Battery: Automotive

(Can't beat 6 dollar shipping!)

Just found these (NEW) http://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-VMAX...+Cycle+Battery

FREE shipping! I think I found my new favorite battery!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #12

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

Trojan makes true deep cycle 12v batteries, i think.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #14

When I bought my Trojans, I called a local floor cleaning machine company and asked the salesman what batteries they used. When they said Trojan, I asked if I could "piggy back" a order of batteries on one of their orders. I was able to pick up the batteries locally, save a lot on shipping, and they could make a little $ on markup and I still saved $. Win-win.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Do not purchase "Marine/RV battery". Only deep cycle battery will go the distance you want. A 27 is somewhat larger than 24 series and much more capacity. Go online and get specs including height. Check your box/space and see what will fit before you decide.
DEAD wrong. A marine RV battery can be either TRUE deep cycle OR dual use.
Example DEKA Marine master line has BOTH a DP27 and a DC27...dualpurpose v. deepcycle. http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0194.pdf
The DC series is an EXCELLENT and WELL BUILT choice in a deep cycle battery.

To the OP...as a practical matter ANY group 27 is going to perform longer to a 50% charge than any similar group 24. Most have around 90 amphours vs. the typical 70-75 on a group24.
I do think that even with your low daily use you are going to be using more than 45amp hours over 3 days so regardless of what group size you get...the cycling below a 50% charge will kill your battery quite a bit earlier than stickint to the 50% rule.
I assume you can't swing another battery in place so I will simply suggest that you get the one battery I know which is a bit more impervious to cycling below 50% and that is the Odyssey TPPL battery (thin plate pure lead) which is a special type of AGM battery rather than a wet cell. They can be discharged down 80% and still deliver 400 cycles! They also have MUCH greater current inrush and outrush capability to you are not limited to a 20% charging rate per hour. All at a price of course!
ODYSSEY Batteries

The good news is that SEARS carries these batteries (some of them) under the Diehard PLATINUM label at about a 33% discount. You may have to do some measuring to see what will fit in your coach but the largest that will fit is what you should get. Figure between $200 and $250 for one of these if you go this route.
Otherwise would recommend the Marine Master DC24 or DC27 or the Trojan 24 or 27 TMX series in a premium wet cell.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Interstate battery also has a "dual use"

TURBS

Think spring!
The last man standing also has a sharpie
Old 02-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

I think what Vince was referring to concerns the verbal interchangeability of Marine Storage Battery and Marine dual use battery.

As you said, they are now the same. A battery that needs to start a motor AND have capacity to deliver power over a long period is going to have compromises that a "storage only" battery should not have.

You want battery designed to provide a reasonable amount of current (20 amps) over a LONG period of time (amp hours). The fact that it can also provide 800 Cold Cranking Amps in 10 minutes is NOT a plus in a storage battery. Those thin waffled plates will not be available for deep storage which require flat thick plates.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I think what Vince was referring to concerns the verbal interchangeability of Marine Storage Battery and Marine dual use battery.

As you said, they are now the same. A battery that needs to start a motor AND have capacity to deliver power over a long period is going to have compromises that a "storage only" battery should not have.

You want battery designed to provide a reasonable amount of current (20 amps) over a LONG period of time (amp hours). The fact that it can also provide 800 Cold Cranking Amps in 10 minutes is NOT a plus in a storage battery. Those thin waffled plates will not be available for deep storage which require flat thick plates.

I understand what he might have been trying to say...but the way he said it was wrong and might have discouraged people from buying TRUE deep cycle marine batteries by implying that ALL marine batteries are NOT deep cycle.
As to your comments on the Odyssey...those too are wrong since this is NEW technology that performs VERY will in true deep cycle mode ...outperforming true deep cycles in depth of discharge...amount of current available all at once..."chargeability" (they can be charged at SEVERAL TIMES their amphour rating without any danger.....allowing a 100amp charger to fully recharge a 100amp battery from 80% discharge in 1 hour! )
Now I know also that your thin plate comments are true for the other 99% of the batteries on the market... but they simply don't apply to the Odysseys. You might be interested in hearing what the leading battery & electrical system researcher and designer for boats has to say about this technology. Nigel Calder ... "Itís the new generation of high-CAR batteries that are opening all these doors. Instead of being a roadblock to progress, batteries are now a dynamic enabling technology. It will take some time for the boating world to understand and fully exploit the potential, but one way or another we are on the cusp of substantially more powerful and radically more efficient electrical systems.
I have been tracking and writing about marine systems for almost three decades. This is the single most exciting technological development I have seen in all that time.

Battery revolution - Ocean Navigator - March/April 2011

Lithium Ion will be the next revolution...and they are starting to get more reasonable on a "lifetime amp hours provided" basis. Still 1200 bucks for a group 31 is a bit hard on the wallet!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #19

Ok. I am staying clear of any argument with batteries. I will say.. Read the differences in battery types. Read carefully. Deep cycle batteries are made for deep discharge and slow recovery. Starting batteries are made for bursts of power and minor discharges. Dual?? I dunno. You get nothing for free. Something will be sacrificed for both and the battery construction is different for different services. READ and form your own opinion.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Ok. I am staying clear of any argument with batteries. I will say.. Read the differences in battery types. Read carefully. Deep cycle batteries are made for deep discharge and slow recovery. Starting batteries are made for bursts of power and minor discharges. Dual?? I dunno. You get nothing for free. Something will be sacrificed for both and the battery construction is different for different services. READ and form your own opinion.
As long as you are talking about conventionally mfr. batteries using composite plates (lead/antimony/calcium paste) your statements are absolutely true. They are not true when considering new technologies like thin plate PURE LEAD batts or lithium ion batts.
  • Both of which are capable of VERY deep discharge and thus able to deliver WAY more amp hours per charge than a conventional battery.
  • Both of which may be discharged to those levels hundreds of times (TPPL) or thousands of times (LiON) far exceeding the life of conventional batteries similarly deep cycled.
  • Both of which are capable of being Fully recharged at virtually any amperage the user can supply...rather than merely 20%.
  • Both of which are capable of delivering high current on demand making them suitable for both starting and deep cycle house duties in a SUPERIOR manner to standard batteries.
No need to argue...you're right as far as you go... people DO need to realize that there is new technology out there that MIGHT be a better solution..as is the case where there is limited space and more amp hours are needed. The trade off is not in any kind of performance...it is in price!

Tags
battery