Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

Need AC for cpap

Hello, this is a first time post so please forgive my mistakes. We are going to a campground that does not have AC and you can not run generators after 10:00 PM, but I need AC to run my cpap machine. So here is my idea, I have dual batteries on my trailer. Option 1 is to disconnect one of my batteries from the trailer and leave one connected to supply 12 vdc to the trailer. I would connect a 1000 watt AC inverter to the to the battery I had previously disconnected and take the output of the inverter to my trailer's AC input. I would rechsrge the batteries the next day with my generator. The other option is to disconnect both batteries from the trailer and connect them to the AC inverter and connect the output of the inverter to the trailer AC input and charge with the generator the next day. Let me know what you think about these ideas.
Willyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

Does your CPAP run directly off of AC or does it use an AC adapter that converts it to DC?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #3

I would recommend an additional AGM deep cycle battery (Lifeline makes a decent one), so as to not use up your coach batteries, just in case you need to hook up and leave in a hurry and might need the batteries to bring in slides or leveling system. Skip the inverter, if you can, and buy an DC power supply that is available for most CPAP/BiPAP machines. You can also use the battery at home as back up in case you have a lot of brown outs in your area. This solution cost around $250.

Also see post:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-103767.html
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #4

I do a lot of tent camping as well and had used a deep cycle battery with a 400w inverter first. I could get two days out of it and then took all day to charge it back so you could do that. This was a better solution for me. It lasted 2 nights with a small fan and charging my cell phone. It is about the same price as a battery and inverter but more compact.

Webetop Portable Generator Power Inverter Battery 100W 42000mAh Camping CPAP Emergency Home Use UPS Power Source Charged by Solar Panel/ Wall Outlet/ Car with 110V AC Outlet,3 DC 12V,3 USB Port https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073J61T3Y..._Kn8YzbYZPR22P
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
Site Team

As eluded to above, a lot of CPAP's run off 12 volts or at least offer a DC-DC converter so that you can run them off a battery. I'd look at that route as they're more efficient than running an inverter, so your battery will last a little longer. Also, if you use a humidifier turn it off unless you absolutely need it, and the machine will use less power.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

I have an 1100 watt inverter permanently hard wired to two parallel Exide size 31MDC (marine deep cycle) coach batteries. It will run my wife's CPAP (plus computer and phone chargers) all night and then make a pot of coffee in the morning before running the generator or vehicle.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #7

DC/DC converter

As mentioned above many CPAPs can use a DC/DC converter. It works well and is the most efficient way to go. Check with the manufacturer of your CPAP to see what they recommend.
OboeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #8

I might have a much easier solution. I use and APAP (upgraded version of CPAP) There is an inline cooler where I place blocked Ice in the event of power loss. It is a 6x8 inch inline cooler. It allows cool air to flow and keeps me cool also. It only lasts 6.5 hours.

If you would like I can check with the VA to see who makes it. Picture your air tube out from CPAP through a cooler, then a line out other side. The APAP has moisture filters and I cannot speak for a CPAP but it may be an option.

For both CPAP/APAP they sell for campers (off grid folks/Amazon) Lithium ION batteries with the 120V converter.

Hope that helps if not I tried.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

It is really quite easy

First off, I have a CPAP and we do a lot of dry camping and this is something that can be worked out inexpensively. A deep cycle 12V battery is the start, and you can get one at Advance for like $100. Next is a 12V to 110 inverter (actually it is more like a converter but it is called an inverter). You can get one of these, inexpensively at Northern Tool ($10-12 when on sale). I prefer the alligator clip ones. This is all you basically need.

CAUTION! These are not forgiving. Hook it up wrong to the battery kills it.

Advice- make sure the battery is fully charged before you leave. Get the highest CCA battery you can (800+ or better). Get a solar charger if you are looking at an extended stay and put it out to charge every day.

I have never had a problem with mine over a weekend, if doing for a week, I might try to generator charge it at mid week (if allowed where you are camping). Some campgrounds have electricity in the bathrooms and you could also charge there (I've seen plenty of phone charging at these).

It should not prevent camping in any way!
YoBobH42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

Check to make sure you can get a cigarette lighter adapter for your CPAP. Most do. Install a deep cycle battery from Costco under your bed by putting it in a battery box and use the strap to hold it in place. Wire a cigarette light adapter to the battery with a fuse. Recharge the battery when back on the grid. The longest I've run mine is 4 nights so i do not know how long it can run before recharging. The inverter has a loss in efficiency when converting DC to AC.
hilfikerkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #11

I was fortunate that Rockwood installed a 12V (cigarette lighter type adapter) connection alongside my bed - with the optional adapter & AC/DC converter for my cpap I can plug into that and draw off my camper battery. I shut off the heated hose and humidifier to lesson the drain on my battery unless connected to shore power.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyt View Post
Hello, this is a first time post so please forgive my mistakes. We are going to a campground that does not have AC and you can not run generators after 10:00 PM, but I need AC to run my cpap machine. So here is my idea, I have dual batteries on my trailer. Option 1 is to disconnect one of my batteries from the trailer and leave one connected to supply 12 vdc to the trailer. I would connect a 1000 watt AC inverter to the to the battery I had previously disconnected and take the output of the inverter to my trailer's AC input. I would rechsrge the batteries the next day with my generator. The other option is to disconnect both batteries from the trailer and connect them to the AC inverter and connect the output of the inverter to the trailer AC input and charge with the generator the next day. Let me know what you think about these ideas.
Both of your options say that you are going to plug into your trailer's AC input. Don't do that. You are trying to power your entire AC system and will drain your batteries and/or overload your inverter when the converter tries to start charging the batteries off of the AC power. We dry camp a lot. I have a 400W inverter that I connect to the batteries and then run an extension cord to my CPAP. This makes it so that I am only powering the CPAP, not everything else in the trailer. I have 2 batteries and run the generator for a bit every morning to make coffee. Never had a power issue.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #13

Thanks for all the advice. My cpap runs on 24 volt so I am checking to see if the manufacturer has a converter for 12 to 24 vdc. I am going to try the spare battery and inverter method and see how it works.
Willyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
As eluded to above, a lot of CPAP's run off 12 volts or at least offer a DC-DC converter so that you can run them off a battery. I'd look at that route as they're more efficient than running an inverter, so your battery will last a little longer. Also, if you use a humidifier turn it off unless you absolutely need it, and the machine will use less power.
I am Here! Youroo!!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #15
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. My cpap runs on 24 volt so I am checking to see if the manufacturer has a converter for 12 to 24 vdc. I am going to try the spare battery and inverter method and see how it works.
24 volts is just two twelve volt batteries in series. The wiring is not to hard to put together, lots of info on the internet. I've slept with a cpap while tent camping for nearly 15 years, using a small 125 watt inverter and a "group 24" deep cycle battery. The lash up is fine for a week-end.

Folks have mentioned a number of solutions; it's a matter of time, ability, and money and how much "stuff" and how much weight you can or are willing to carry. I'm an engineer, fairly cheap, and carrying a heavy lead-acid battery 100 yards to my campsite is not a problem

A 24 volt CPAP is a little surprising to me. Any 12 to 24 volt converter the manufacturer sells will be as inefficient as any small inverter (12 volt DC to 120 V AC) and likely much more expensive. At that point, I'd stay with the inverter.

Someone gave you a link to a portable all in one box that contains lightweight lithium batteries, a charger and an inverter with the in and out plugs and a display. There are many of these on Amazon now and for ~ $220 may be the simplest and lightest solution. It depends on how much power in Watts you CPAP needs. That should be in the manual, on the back of the device or their customer service group may be able to tell you. Be wary because they will often list the CPAP and humidifier and as someone mentioned, the humidifier can draw a fair amount of power. I've never used one, but I guess some folks do. Once you know how much power you need, you can select the "box" with the appropriate power capabilities. Don't expect to get more than a week-end of use without some level of charging; washrooms can be an option but you are plugging in a portable and attractive item...

Good Luck!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #16

You have a lot of good advice. I use the 12V lighter outlet on the side of the bed, run it into a 150 Watt inverter and plug the CPAP into that. My unit pulls about 90 Watts with the heated tubing and humidifier on so that works out to about 60 AH per night (8 hours). My solar panel system or generator can put this back in about 4 hours time, about 1.5 hours off the Honda generator.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #17

I have been thinking of getting an adapter to use mine with on shore power, here is the RESMED site with the power cord options. I hope this helps.
https://www.easybreathe.com/Other-Su...r-Cords-c1001/

https://www.easybreathe.com/Other-Su...T-A-p3710.html
Old 09-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #18

Quote:
My CPAP is 24v also. 12v to 24v adapters are available, but the cheapest I have found is $85 plus shipping. My current setup is free, since I already had the 400w inverter. I don't even carry a spare battery. I have 2 in my camper. They stay hooked up to the camper, I just connect the clips to one of the batteries and then run an extension cord to the bedroom. I fully intend to wire in a dedicated outlet for the inverter to power the CPAP, just haven't gotten to that yet.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #19

I don't understand disconnecting anything or completely separate batteries that have to be taken care of. Use a DC plug or worse a small inverter. Know ahead of time how long it'll run the machine. Increase coach battery bank as required.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #20
Ambassador

Way to close to medical advice for me sorry. I would say find an electric site until you figure this out an it will reliably work for you. To much of your explanation sounds like it's made up, untried, or pulling out of your butt. I know other people are sharing what sounds like a similar idea and experience, but your betting your health on this so you better make sure what your rigging together will work. You know I'm right.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote