Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Turbs---I saw that you edited your post. When I first read it I saw "was" instead of "wasn't"- lol

Lol auto correct almost got me lashed

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #42

Now, that's funny. Apologies, it's Monday AGAIN this week here.
jboot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #43

Just the normal TV and microwave. We get hit with wicked thunderstorms occasionally and once in a while lightning hits a power line and we get a surge. I haven't had problems in a campground.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #44

Lightning hit the campground maybe 50 yards from out trailer last year. It damaged 4 or 5 campers and even a car. We suffered no damage. I don't know if the Progressive saved us or we were far enough away.
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:07 PM   #45

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Baldicon.....I've been an AC/Heating/Appliance/Electrician for 40 years. I can pretty much assure you that if lightning hit that close, your surge protector did its job. I've been in the San Juan Mountains where 102 volts was threatening my full time home,,,,and in Hemitt, California where 96 volts tried the same thing. I'm telling you,,,,,it's an investment, but you'll be glad you have it. That long list of appliances in that previous post can happen to you. It did to a friend of ours. the surge protector will sometimes fry,,,,but the 3 or $400 dollars is a heck of a lot cheaper than all the electronics it's sacrificing itself for. Kinda like a sacrificial anode in a water heater.....$20 for the anode or oodles of $$ for a new water heater and the time inconvenience. It is everybody's personal decision,,,,,but my career path has taught me a lot of wisdom through experience and pushing the envelope and tempting the gods. It's not so much that "if" it happens as to "when" it happens. Kinda like using bungees to assure your awning doesn't decide to unfurl on IH 40 at 65 MPH,,,,,and I saw that happen.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #46

Grampa Jim, I'm thinking you are probably correct. I won't own an RV without one.
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #47
Who Dares, Wins

I've been lucky, never NEEDED mine, Been camping for 10+ years now and never had a SP for about half the time. I count myself as lucky as to not burned something up at some of theses CG's. Now I just look at it as cheep insurance.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #48
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Low voltage is what I see the most of.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 02-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #49

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Ya, Turbs,,,,,low voltage is a killer,,,,brown-outs happen and you don't even know it when the coils on your AC compressor, for example, are melting the field windings on the wiring,,,,,,,I've NEVER needed my surge protector,,,,,,,but,,,it's like car insurance.....you better have it when you need it.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #50
Who Dares, Wins

I have not had my SP shut off but I have seen many a time of having low voltage. A few times I've switched to the 50amp side to prevent a shut down and a few times even ran my geni instead... Like you said, Jim, cheap insurance.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #51

I was advised to get the EMS over the SSP for more thorough protection, which I did. Although it cost more I decided I rather cry only once. Yes, I borrowed that last phrase off someone else. ....but isn't it true?
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #52
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A/c unit alone is roughly $700.00 minimum!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 02-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #53

Since you are a newbie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn cyn View Post
Last Saturday, my husband and I bought a new Salem 241QBXL. However,
we have absolutely NO experience with an RV. So, I'd appreciate advice.
Our salesman says that we do NOT need to buy a surge protector, but our RV friends recommend that we have one to protect our electrical system.
I doubt that we will go to the best and newest private RV parks but will prefer state and national parks that are older. Please join in with your advice.
Many thanks,
Cyn Cyn
I think today anyone getting into anything new to them is great and i say this because of where we are at this moment (the internet) in no time in the past has there been such a great tool for any kind of newbie!
But with that being said also the newbies do need in anything there are going to touch a great sense of "Common Sense!" and as you go through this steps of growing from newbie to experienced rver you will come to fully understand why i said this, as to many folks today (and here is the huge down side of my mention earlier) they think the internet is going to save them from themselves!
So with all this being said here are some tips you can use going forward;
Join some rving clubs (besides this one) Goodsam/ camping world as you are able to see and read reviews on items you will need to rv with.
and here are some others;
https://www.escapees.com/
iRV2 Forums
RV Open Road | MODX Revolution
Good Sam Blog – News and Tips from the leading RV Camping Authority
Tips for New RVers: Catchin' the Dream
RV Travel - News, information & advice for RV enthusiasts

and i can on and on, you need to just let your mind and fingers let loose in your search box and you will find out how much you are not alone nor the first at most anything. So i hope this helps good luck in your travels and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #54
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
Wow , I have been RVing 30 some years and never had the need for one . Do you have one on your house ? Is your RV cluttered up with sensitive equipment ?
Yes and Yes...

I do maintenance on a friends beach house in exchange for use of it a couple of weeks a year. Local power company had a neutral "go bad" and fried all the GFCI breakers and the electronics in the house. They paid to fix them, but what a PITA to file all the claims and receipts. I do have a whole house surge protector on my home. I have seen what lightning does to a house when you get a direct strike. I also have a lightning rod system too.

Campgrounds can be a crap shoot when it comes to proper maintenance. I consider the EMS cheap insurance.

My RV cost more than my first two houses together. Less then $300 to protect it from electrical mayhem is a good deal in my book. FWIW I have 3 televisions, 3 DVD players, a fridge, an A/C unit, a couple of tablets, a couple of laptops and 3 smart phones, not to mention whatever else has a control board in the RV. All are plugged in at some point.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #55
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
Wow , I have been RVing 30 some years and never had the need for one . Do you have one on your house ? Is your RV cluttered up with sensitive equipment ?
As a matter of fact, yes, our entire house is protected at the incoming power, for surge. As for the RV,
A surge or wrongly wired shore power could take out a fridge, microwave, TV's, DVD players, computer, etc, not to mention causing a fire or electric shock. Glad you've been lucky but it only takes one thunderstorm or a tired maintenance guy wiring a shore power outlet wrong to end that string of luck in disaster.
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
Absolutely Progressive Industries. Saves my circuit boards at a CoE camp ground. Just bought a 50 amp for my 5er. Will sell my 30 amp hard wire for $175 frt included. In box complete like new.
If you still have it, please confirm the model number, I will take it. Will have it shipped to our cottage in Monte Rio, CA
Old 02-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #57

[QUOTE=miatared;1115967]If you still have it, please confirm the model number, I will take it. Will have it shipped to
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #58

I bought one on line from Campers World on sale for about $90.00 and it served me well for the last year on 13 end of the month trips.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #59
Novice

Many thanks for all of the excellent advice. My husband ordered a Progressive Industries surge protector after reading your informative stories and generous guidance.
WOW ! What a fabulous forum !
Cyn
Dallas, Texas
Dallas,Texas
cyn cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #60
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn cyn View Post
Many thanks for all of the excellent advice. My husband ordered a Progressive Industries surge protector after reading your informative stories and generous guidance.
WOW ! What a fabulous forum !
Cyn
Dallas, Texas

Good luck and have fun!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"