Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Just wondering, can those output leads be doubled to allow for the high current? IE: if the AWG is small but doubled to carry all the ampacity the batteries can deliver vs single heavy cables each polarity?
Vince,
I am not sure what you are driving at. His issue is not with the current out of the stack, but the unbalanced resistance of the batteries.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The electrical resistance between the Positive and Negative end points is not "negligible" when you are charging or discharging the batteries when you consider that one battery (set in your case) will work harder than the other at all times. That will lead to early failure of one battery set (could be why you are having problems).

This is how 2 12 volt batteries should be connected to balance the current into and out of a bank.

After reading your PDF file I could only say to myself "Well, I'll be damned".

I never would have thought that it could make that much difference. Maybe that IS my problem, although I'm not sure what I could do to get them more balanced. I'll think about it.

Thanks for sharing.

Boowho??
__________________

__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
That's why I started "just wondering"
That said seems the coach is three years old already and Boohoo is a full timer. If the batteries have been "on charge" most of that time, regardless of the wiring its not unusual for a battery to sulfate and eventually short out.
Still don't know where the four leads go, if all to the same power control center for solenoid control as most coach designs do, it would seem to me the wiring is goofy but perhaps two each pole was necessary to carry the current. Gotta believe the coach batteries are switched from the chassis batteries via the Intellic or SDC control panels.
Most of all the system survived for 3 years, they must have done something right?
Must admit that is some strange wiring, anybody with a Berkshire see the same?
__________________
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
That's why I started "just wondering"
That said seems the coach is three years old already and Boohoo is a full timer. If the batteries have been "on charge" most of that time, regardless of the wiring its not unusual for a battery to sulfate and eventually short out.
Still don't know where the four leads go, if all to the same power control center for solenoid control as most coach designs do, it would seem to me the wiring is goofy but perhaps two each pole was necessary to carry the current. Gotta believe the coach batteries are switched from the chassis batteries via the Intellic or SDC control panels.
Most of all the system survived for 3 years, they must have done something right?
Must admit that is some strange wiring, anybody with a Berkshire see the same?
I bought the coach last November. It was "used" (titled) but never taken out. Original owner bought it August of 2011.

He did charge the batteries off the generator periodically; I don't know how often. Knowing him, it was probably at least twice a month. With only 3072 miles on the chassis but 49 hours on the genset, I'd say fairly often.

Manufactured date late 2010 or early 2011. Chassis came off FL line in Oct 2010.

In reading Herk's PDF file (I'm still stunned to learn what was in there), maybe I should just move the two pos inputs to the coach to one end of the stack (same pos post) and then move the two neg inputs to the same post on the other end of the stack (same neg post).

That way I'd be about as balanced as I can get. Still I'd be a little worried about by FR did it that way (as shown in my original pic) in the first place.

Boowho??
__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
I bought the coach last November. It was "used" (titled) but never taken out. Original owner bought it August of 2011.

He did charge the batteries off the generator periodically; I don't know how often. Knowing him, it was probably at least twice a month. With only 3072 miles on the chassis but 49 hours on the genset, I'd say fairly often.

Manufactured date late 2010 or early 2011. Chassis came off FL line in Oct 2010.

In reading Herk's PDF file (I'm still stunned to learn what was in there), maybe I should just move the two pos inputs to the coach to one end of the stack (same pos post) and then move the two neg inputs to the same post on the other end of the stack (same neg post).

That way I'd be about as balanced as I can get. Still I'd be a little worried about by FR did it that way (as shown in my original pic) in the first place.

Boowho??
Do motor homes come stock with 4 six volt house batteries?
Maybe the original owner had them installed by a local shop.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Do motor homes come stock with 4 six volt house batteries?
Maybe the original owner had them installed by a local shop.
I don't they were installed after delivery. The tray EXACTLY fits four batteries, and I believe that bigger coaches like this (DP) probably have 4x6 as standard equipment.

Plus if he had them installed later, the paperwork would have been in the stuff he gave me. He was extremely fastidious about such things; to the point of being a nit picker

Boowoh??
__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Do motor homes come stock with 4 six volt house batteries?
Maybe the original owner had them installed by a local shop.
I've seen it advertised in DP chassis, someone else in the forum with a 10 or 11 Berk commented on changing them. From memory they are on a slideout tray, nice setup. Anyway Boohoo has confirmed they are at least 3 years old, and we all know 30 minute charges a few times may not enough. Maybe change the cables and see what happens, that one battery is probably gone, I've had it happen over the years but only had to change one at a time.
__________________
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
I've seen it advertised in DP chassis, someone else in the forum with a 10 or 11 Berk commented on changing them. From memory they are on a slideout tray, nice setup. Anyway Boohoo has confirmed they are at least 3 years old, and we all know 30 minute charges a few times may not enough. Maybe change the cables and see what happens, that one battery is probably gone, I've had it happen over the years but only had to change one at a time.
Well, if I only have to buy ONE that will be good news. I thought I read once before that the entire array (all bats) needed to swapped out at the same time.

Boowho??
__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Well, if I only have to buy ONE that will be good news. I thought I read once before that the entire array (all bats) needed to swapped out at the same time.

Boowho??
That is my understanding as well.
As I understand it having a new battery and a older battery in the same cell will lead to a reduction in combined capacity due to a variance in the number of cycles between them. The stronger battery will self discharge into the older battery.

Here is an article that shows the reduction in capacity due to charge/discharge cycles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery Life as a function of charge discharge cycles.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	27997  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Life.pdf (467.7 KB, 22 views)
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Well, if I only have to buy ONE that will be good news. I thought I read once before that the entire array (all bats) needed to swapped out at the same time.

Boowho??
Sorry, what I meant was heretofore that's all I had, one Group 24 battery for coach, one chassis start battery. By the way, the start batteries always far outlast the coach batteries. That's in both Class A and C motorhomes. This present one has two large coach batteries size 27 I think and one standard Ford chassis start battery.
__________________

__________________
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.