Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #31

Boo's diagram is factory stock

I have a 2008 Berkshire. The diagram Boo first posted is how the Berkshire comes from the factory. You probably just have a battery gone bad. I have lost two. One last year and one this year. Same thing, one cell boils off. They are cheep batteries from the factory.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #32

I just checked and the inverter is on one of the cable pairs, the rest of the coach is on the other the other cable pair.

I could remove two longer jumpers and have two separate 12V systems, I guess. But then the inverter bats couldn't "help" the house bats when needed, nor the other way around.

Boowho??

Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
I just checked and the inverter is on one of the cable pairs, the rest of the coach is on the other the other cable pair.

I could remove two longer jumpers and have two separate 12V systems, I guess. But then the inverter bats couldn't "help" the house bats when needed, nor the other way around.

Boowho??
That is correct.
Also, since the second set are "Load only" it is not a big deal and should not impact the charge/discharge issue (I think - depends on whether they are cross battery connected).

The X wires go to the inverter.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #34

I had the same problem with my 6 volt batteries on my golf cart recently, hooked up my charger and could hear something boiling. Disconnected and checked all my connections and water in each cell. Checked output of my charger also. Everything was perfect. Hooked charger back up and did the same thing. Removed that battery, which was fun.... and had it load tested. Battery tested bad. Replaced battery, just keeping my fingers crossed that I can a little more life out of the other batteries.

2013 Chevy 2500, 6.6 Duramax
2013 Lacrosse 318
Gulfrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

Boowho??
Would you install a small charger for the inverter batteries?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Would you install a small charger for the inverter batteries?
I do not recommend separating them. Either replace just the bad one or (recommended) all four.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I have a 2008 Berkshire. The diagram Boo first posted is how the Berkshire comes from the factory. You probably just have a battery gone bad. I have lost two. One last year and one this year. Same thing, one cell boils off. They are cheep batteries from the factory.
Silver, nest time you're back there, could you verify that your coach is wired the same as this drawing with regard to the feed wires going to the inverter and the coach circuit??

I'm wanting to make sure I put the green wires back in the same place. I'm good to go with the blue wires.

Boowho??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bats3.png
Views:	62
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	28047  
Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #38

i'm picking my new 390bh up tomorrow. i'll take a pic of the battery bay and trace those down for you if Silver doesn't get a chance to before then...

i'm not an electrical engineer but to me, it seems either lead pair is not pulling a balanced load based on your diagram. each lead pair is pulling from half the bank first instead of from across the entire bank of batteries. based on what i have learned, to get a balanced pull you would want to have the positive and negative leads connected at the furthest ends of the bank from each other. so in your diagram, go diagonal corners for your connect points to get the draw balanced acrossed all 4 batteries instead of just two...

i'm sure an electrical engineer can clear this up better than me...

the diagrams posted before in this thread do show a balanced draw across the entire bank..
Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou

To balance the bank, the lower two connections should be swapped.

The inverter positive should go on the other batteries positive and the "Camper's" positive should go where the inverter's is now.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #40

Boowho

I have been away thus the reason for no response. Yes as I stated in my first post your drawing is correct. I like it so much I have taken a copy for my files. Saves me the trouble of sketching one. As for the loading and balance issue I see discused. The battery cables on my coach are all 1 AWG wire. With wire that thick it will make little difference which post the wire is attached as for loading. It should be transparent for all intents and purposes.

When I had a lot of acid I had a bad battery. I replaced the battery and most of the outgassing and acid formation has gone away. I still have some. I believe that the battery compartment could be better vented but it is not. What I plan to try next is to remove the battery tray and rails and spray the bottom of the compartment, rails, and battery with truck bed liner. Perhaps that will seal up the metal and prevent the acid from forming. Have to treat with baking soda first to netrulize any acid.

Hopes the info helps