Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

Need help with A/C???

I have a 2017 Forester 3270 and i curently have it plugged into house power. The issue i ha e is i went into the RV today expecting to be cooled off, but instead it was like walking into a brick wall. I turned the thermostat down to 66 degrees and it didnt seem to even be blowing cool air. It was warm at best. What could be the issue. This is a new rv with less than 2k miles. Any help is appreciated. Thx
Raz6200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

If “house power” is defined as a 15amp circuit through an extension cord, you will be lucky if you did not burn the compressor up. Want to cool the unit down, try the genset.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
If “house power” is defined as a 15amp circuit through an extension cord, you will be lucky if you did not burn the compressor up. Want to cool the unit down, try the genset.
I have the RV plugged into a 30 amp box. Not sure what Genset means?
Old 07-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz6200 View Post
I have the RV plugged into a 30 amp box. Not sure what Genset means?
The Generator.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The Generator.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forest River Forums mobile app
Thx
Old 07-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Did you turn the fan on and forget to put it in Cool mode? I can run mine on fan alone.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

30 Amp is good. If your compressor is running and you have no cooling, it is possible that you have a “leaker” and there is little to no freon left. I had that 3x with a Dometic BriskAir II. Easy way to tell is the amp draw. It will be very low if there is no freon to compress.
If your compressor is not running, I suggest you start with the thermostat settings then check connections.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #8

Who wired the 30 amp box? It should have one hot one neutral and ground. Lots of posts lately that their 30 amp outlet was wired like an old dryer outlet, two hots and a ground.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #9

AC probably iced up while you were gone. Shut it off and let it thaw for a couple of hours. Don't set the thermostat so high that the compressor runs all the time as it will ice up and can even stop the compressor fan from running. My Dometic used to be a pain for icing up. (Old Trailer). Not as big a problem where it's dry, but if it's humid it will happen all the time.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
Coach

Can you offer us some more info? Is this a first time issue? Is it extraordinarily hot from what your normal camping conditions are? Any additional info can help.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:07 AM   #11

Make sure the fan is set to AU automatic rather than hi or low. Sounds like only the fan was working which might mean someone put it on hi or low.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Make sure the fan is set to AU automatic rather than hi or low. Sounds like only the fan was working which might mean someone put it on hi or low.
I’ve never seen AU, only Hi or low
Old 07-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
30 Amp is good. If your compressor is running and you have no cooling, it is possible that you have a “leaker” and there is little to no freon left. I had that 3x with a Dometic BriskAir II. Easy way to tell is the amp draw. It will be very low if there is no freon to compress.
If your compressor is not running, I suggest you start with the thermostat settings then check connections.
You actually hit the nail on the head. I had It checked out last night and the amp draw was very low. It was determined that I now Need a new A/C. Luckily it’s still under warranty. Unlucky that I need To wait for a week or 2 to get the unit in. Thx for the suggestion
Old 07-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
AC probably iced up while you were gone. Shut it off and let it thaw for a couple of hours. Don't set the thermostat so high that the compressor runs all the time as it will ice up and can even stop the compressor fan from running. My Dometic used to be a pain for icing up. (Old Trailer). Not as big a problem where it's dry, but if it's humid it will happen all the time.
Good to know. Once the new one is in I will Make note not to set the thermostat too low. Thx