Old 04-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Head Rambler

Keep in mind that Dometic breaks the negative (ground) wire for controlling the relays, so that's why the wiring is funky. That's why the ground wire goes to "RC" instead of the hot wire.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Keep in mind that Dometic breaks the negative (ground) wire for controlling the relays, so that's why the wiring is funky. That's why the ground wire goes to "RC" instead of the hot wire.
You could be correct with the new Dometic stats, but the stat that he showed is the old style dometic stat. I would be looking at the control board in the A/C and see if the green ground is connected to it....Dometic made a change so it is almost impossible to wire in another stat but there's, but that was done after 2006....The picture shown is the old dometic stat. interesting problem. I wish the OP luck....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #13

Mine was 2008 park model made with left over parts and sawdust prior to golden falcon folding. I wish I could get there and figure out the wiring for you but the park is not open till May 15th. I did leave the 12 v wire used I do remember. I didn't care and only used hi speed for the fan.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #14

Thank you all for the help. I've been pretty busy with work the last few days and haven't had a chance to look at things. The weather is getting pretty hot during the day now and I'll be needing to start running the AC soon. I'm really not sure which direction to go with trying to fix this. I'm confused as to where and try the wires at now. Really hoping I don't have to go back to the old thermostat. Hoping I can look at things tomorrow after work
Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrain1 View Post
Thank you all for the help. I've been pretty busy with work the last few days and haven't had a chance to look at things. The weather is getting pretty hot during the day now and I'll be needing to start running the AC soon. I'm really not sure which direction to go with trying to fix this. I'm confused as to where and try the wires at now. Really hoping I don't have to go back to the old thermostat. Hoping I can look at things tomorrow after work
You might want to buy one of those fuse holders and attach it to the power 12v wire. That way the worst can happen you will blow the fuse. About a month ago someone tired to wire a stat in on this forum and it worked for awhile if I remember right then it caught fire, I couldn't find the thread for you I looked. The way your pictures showed the only thing that will cause that is a dead short. Please let us know how you progress. You can do it...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #16

jdrain:

Looking at your pic of the original installation, I believe your power (red), A/C (yellow) and furnace (white) wires are OK and should be attached to R-RC, W and Y respectively, as you've stated. I think only your fan and ground wires are messed up.

Compare my Honeywell wiring on the right side of the attached PDF with your original wiring. I believe your tan wire is the slow fan speed and is analogous to my gray wire and thus should connect to the slow fan side of your fan rocker switch. Your blue wire is the high fan speed and analogous to my green wire and thus should connect to the fast fan side of your fan rocker switch. The common lead from your fan rocker switch (whatever color you've used) is analogous to my tan wire and should run to the G connection on the thermostat.

That leaves your green ground wire (analogous to my blue wire). Your old thermostat needed a ground because the red power wire not only supplied power to the furnace, A/C and fan, but also powered the brain in the old thermostat, thus a ground was necessary (the furnace, A/C and fan don't need a ground from the thermostat because they are grounded at their respective locations). Since the new thermostat is battery powered it doesn't need the ground anymore. So tape off the green wire as previously suggested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thermostsat wiring.pdf (117.4 KB, 30 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #17

Alright I've got some time to look at this thing now. The power wire is not hooked up to my new thermostat. It is taped off and unused. The only wire I had was with me was red, which is why it looks like there is a power wire ran to the new t stat. That red wire is hooked to my switch for high fan speed (blue wire). My switch is only a spst so the blue wire goes to one terminal and then I ran my new red wire to the G terminal on new t stat. I initially ran the low speed fan to that terminal as well but no matter what the AC fan ran. Hi lo switch worked great though. The new Tstat wiring pic I posted is after I moved the low fan speed wire to the AC terminal but left high speed switched wire on the g fan terminal. The fan would run even with the high fan wire unhooked and only low speed wire on the g terminal. Even when heating and cooling was switched off on t stat. It's very hot today so I have been running the AC with the wiring still as pictured on my first post. I have been running it for about an hour now and keeping a close eye on it. Nothing is heating up or acting strange as of yet. I'm still not really sure which wires I should try switching around yet. There's been a lot of different ideas thrown around from everyone. I'm so glad there's so many helpful people on this site 👍🏻👍🏻
Old 04-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #18
Pickin' & Campin'

I've not done this mod but have followed along on those that have. I can't help you on your wiring but I do question your using a SPST for your fan switch.

A SPST is just an on/off switch so it won't switch between speeds. The mods I've seen suggested a SPDT center off switch.

Just thinking out loud.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I've not done this mod but have followed along on those that have. I can't help you on your wiring but I do question your using a SPST for your fan switch.

A SPST is just an on/off switch so it won't switch between speeds. The mods I've seen suggested a SPDT center off switch.

Just thinking out loud.
You DON'T want a center off switch. You want an ON/ON switch. Reason: If you have an "OFF" position, you just KNOW someone (and it will probably be YOU - ) will fire up the A/C with the fan in the OFF position and freeze up the A/C. Or you have the thermostat to run the A/C, but the temp is cool, so it's shut down, but someone bumps the switch to the OFF position, then when the TT warms up and the thermostat turns the A/C on again, there's no fan.

(This is based on my belief that I don't think there's any kind of interlock to prevent the A/C from running if the fan isn't running, although I could be wrong. Even if I'm wrong, it's better to be safe than sorry.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #20
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You DON'T want a center off switch. You want an ON/ON switch. Reason: If you have an "OFF" position, you just KNOW someone (and it will probably be YOU - ) will fire up the A/C with the fan in the OFF position and freeze up the A/C. Or you have the thermostat to run the A/C, but the temp is cool, so it's shut down, but someone bumps the switch to the OFF position, then when the TT warms up and the thermostat turns the A/C on again, there's no fan.

(This is based on my belief that I don't think there's any kind of interlock to prevent the A/C from running if the fan isn't running, although I could be wrong. Even if I'm wrong, it's better to be safe than sorry.)
Makes sense.
Still needs to be SPDT and not the SPST the OP's using.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat