Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 03:21 AM   #1

Exclamation Need help with Honeywell programmable thermostat

Hey everyone! New to the forum here. Hope this is posted in the right section. I've searched a bunch and haven't found my specific problem. I've got a 2006 Sandpiper 325RGT fifth wheel. Been in it for about 4.5 months now full time for work. After reading several posts on the digital thermostat upgrade I decided to take the plunge. I went with a honeywell 5-2 programmable thermostat. Wired everything up exactly like described in the threads for my specific ac and furnace combo (Dometic AC and suburban furnace) Purchased a spst switch for high speed fan. I left the red power wire taped up. The yellow (cool) wire to Y. the white (furnace) to W. The blue (high fan) to one side of the switch, the other side of the switch I ran to G. Ran the orange (fan) to G also. Ran the green (ground) to a jumpered R and RC. As soon as I put the faceplate on my AC fan started running. The hi/lo switch worked like it should as well. Just no way to turn the fan off. I have tried changing all the settings with no luck. Finally had to unhook the fan wire from the terminal to make it turn off. I then tried hooking the fan wire to the AC terminal and left the switched hi speed wire on the fan terminal of the honeywell. Everything seemed to work fine when testing it, except for no fan without ac running, which was fine with me. Since it's been cold I haven't used the AC and everything has been working flawless the last month or two with the furnace. It finally got hot a week or so ago and I had to run the AC for a few hours. Everything seemed to work perfect. I happened to fall asleep sometime later that evening and woke up a few hours after the AC had already been off. Noticed the screen was blank on my thermostat and pulled the faceplate off. The batteries had exploded open and leaked battery juice everywhere. Cleaned it back up and put new batteries back in and everything still works fine. I've been too afraid to run the AC again though. What could be going wrong? I really don't want to go back to the old thermostat due to being spoiled by the accuracy and ability to program a daily schedule.

The thermostat I bought

Old thermostat

Old thermostat wiring

New thermostat with switch

New thermostat wiring (The red wire is the hi fan wire coming from switch, fan wire hooked into cool terminal)

After running the AC one day

jdrain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

It took me a while to respond.

Need to make sure the equipment in use is known.

Is there a heat strip in the AC Unit?

Here is how I would wire this thermostat with AC amd Standard Furnace.

Your Wire Colors

Green to GR - Function Ground
White to R- Function Heat/Furnace
Yellow to RC- Function Cool
(Remove Jumper on the R and RC)

Blue and Orange as you have for Hi/Lo fan The wire from this switch goes to Y on the new Thermostat
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #3

There is no heating strip in the AC. And just so I'm sure..I need to move my green ground wire from the jumpered r and rc to the g terminal on the thermostat? I thought that was the slot for fan? I'm away from the RV for the night so I'll have to look into it more tomorrow
Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #4

R is Heat RC is cool You had voltage somewhere where is not suppose to be causing the batteries to expire and leak.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Site Team

I may be reading all the mods I've seen wrong, but I think you need to move the Fan and Hi Fan (from Sw) to "G", remove the "R" to "RC" jumper and hook the Green to "RC". Yellow to "Y" and White to "W".

Then set the system type to 0 (Heating & Cooling)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #6

Thank you all for the help. I'll be back to the RV in a few hours and I'll try those ways out.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

The Green is ground on the old thermostat. This is not a match the color type connection. Need to check the function of the wire on the original thermostat and match the function on the new thermostat.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

I have to disagree with the above. It shows on the old stat that green is ground do not use that wire.
R-RC install red wire leave jumper in
y- to compressor
W- to the furnace
new green terminal pick the speed you want high or low, (orange or Blue)

new stat terminal marking
R-RC power 12 v
y- compressor
w- furnace
green- ac blower only

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

When I installed a Honeywell in my Golden Falcon I had to separate the R-Heat and RC-Cool for furnace and AC. I have a Dometic AC and Suburban Furnace (it has two leads like all). I did use the stop program in the thermostat and it works like a charm compared to the original duotherm stat. To date I have been happy with the Coleman thermostat in my Rockwood.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #10

Jdrain1, what I think happened is you created a dead short for that to happen, You might have also damaged your subase, being your subase is what is doing the switching. R is for heating and R/C is for cooling. If you had separate power supplies for both heating and cooling then you would remove the jumper and hook the the wires up accordingly. Your old subase doesn't show that. Honeywell will use the same subase for many stats. a digital stat uses the batteries only to hold the program and display, but it will also supply 12v to the stat and that is what caused your problem, it went to ground. I'm surprised that the furnace even worked. There are some wiring diagrams on this site, but I couldn't find them. Hope this helps you a little, let us know how it go's....

Old 04-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Keep in mind that Dometic breaks the negative (ground) wire for controlling the relays, so that's why the wiring is funky. That's why the ground wire goes to "RC" instead of the hot wire.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Keep in mind that Dometic breaks the negative (ground) wire for controlling the relays, so that's why the wiring is funky. That's why the ground wire goes to "RC" instead of the hot wire.
You could be correct with the new Dometic stats, but the stat that he showed is the old style dometic stat. I would be looking at the control board in the A/C and see if the green ground is connected to it....Dometic made a change so it is almost impossible to wire in another stat but there's, but that was done after 2006....The picture shown is the old dometic stat. interesting problem. I wish the OP luck....

Old 04-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #13

Mine was 2008 park model made with left over parts and sawdust prior to golden falcon folding. I wish I could get there and figure out the wiring for you but the park is not open till May 15th. I did leave the 12 v wire used I do remember. I didn't care and only used hi speed for the fan.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #14

Thank you all for the help. I've been pretty busy with work the last few days and haven't had a chance to look at things. The weather is getting pretty hot during the day now and I'll be needing to start running the AC soon. I'm really not sure which direction to go with trying to fix this. I'm confused as to where and try the wires at now. Really hoping I don't have to go back to the old thermostat. Hoping I can look at things tomorrow after work
Old 04-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrain1 View Post
Thank you all for the help. I've been pretty busy with work the last few days and haven't had a chance to look at things. The weather is getting pretty hot during the day now and I'll be needing to start running the AC soon. I'm really not sure which direction to go with trying to fix this. I'm confused as to where and try the wires at now. Really hoping I don't have to go back to the old thermostat. Hoping I can look at things tomorrow after work
You might want to buy one of those fuse holders and attach it to the power 12v wire. That way the worst can happen you will blow the fuse. About a month ago someone tired to wire a stat in on this forum and it worked for awhile if I remember right then it caught fire, I couldn't find the thread for you I looked. The way your pictures showed the only thing that will cause that is a dead short. Please let us know how you progress. You can do it...

Old 04-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #16

jdrain:

Looking at your pic of the original installation, I believe your power (red), A/C (yellow) and furnace (white) wires are OK and should be attached to R-RC, W and Y respectively, as you've stated. I think only your fan and ground wires are messed up.

Compare my Honeywell wiring on the right side of the attached PDF with your original wiring. I believe your tan wire is the slow fan speed and is analogous to my gray wire and thus should connect to the slow fan side of your fan rocker switch. Your blue wire is the high fan speed and analogous to my green wire and thus should connect to the fast fan side of your fan rocker switch. The common lead from your fan rocker switch (whatever color you've used) is analogous to my tan wire and should run to the G connection on the thermostat.

That leaves your green ground wire (analogous to my blue wire). Your old thermostat needed a ground because the red power wire not only supplied power to the furnace, A/C and fan, but also powered the brain in the old thermostat, thus a ground was necessary (the furnace, A/C and fan don't need a ground from the thermostat because they are grounded at their respective locations). Since the new thermostat is battery powered it doesn't need the ground anymore. So tape off the green wire as previously suggested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thermostsat wiring.pdf (117.4 KB, 54 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #17

Alright I've got some time to look at this thing now. The power wire is not hooked up to my new thermostat. It is taped off and unused. The only wire I had was with me was red, which is why it looks like there is a power wire ran to the new t stat. That red wire is hooked to my switch for high fan speed (blue wire). My switch is only a spst so the blue wire goes to one terminal and then I ran my new red wire to the G terminal on new t stat. I initially ran the low speed fan to that terminal as well but no matter what the AC fan ran. Hi lo switch worked great though. The new Tstat wiring pic I posted is after I moved the low fan speed wire to the AC terminal but left high speed switched wire on the g fan terminal. The fan would run even with the high fan wire unhooked and only low speed wire on the g terminal. Even when heating and cooling was switched off on t stat. It's very hot today so I have been running the AC with the wiring still as pictured on my first post. I have been running it for about an hour now and keeping a close eye on it. Nothing is heating up or acting strange as of yet. I'm still not really sure which wires I should try switching around yet. There's been a lot of different ideas thrown around from everyone. I'm so glad there's so many helpful people on this site 👍🏻👍🏻
Old 04-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've not done this mod but have followed along on those that have. I can't help you on your wiring but I do question your using a SPST for your fan switch.

A SPST is just an on/off switch so it won't switch between speeds. The mods I've seen suggested a SPDT center off switch.

Just thinking out loud.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I've not done this mod but have followed along on those that have. I can't help you on your wiring but I do question your using a SPST for your fan switch.

A SPST is just an on/off switch so it won't switch between speeds. The mods I've seen suggested a SPDT center off switch.

Just thinking out loud.
You DON'T want a center off switch. You want an ON/ON switch. Reason: If you have an "OFF" position, you just KNOW someone (and it will probably be YOU - ) will fire up the A/C with the fan in the OFF position and freeze up the A/C. Or you have the thermostat to run the A/C, but the temp is cool, so it's shut down, but someone bumps the switch to the OFF position, then when the TT warms up and the thermostat turns the A/C on again, there's no fan.

(This is based on my belief that I don't think there's any kind of interlock to prevent the A/C from running if the fan isn't running, although I could be wrong. Even if I'm wrong, it's better to be safe than sorry.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You DON'T want a center off switch. You want an ON/ON switch. Reason: If you have an "OFF" position, you just KNOW someone (and it will probably be YOU - ) will fire up the A/C with the fan in the OFF position and freeze up the A/C. Or you have the thermostat to run the A/C, but the temp is cool, so it's shut down, but someone bumps the switch to the OFF position, then when the TT warms up and the thermostat turns the A/C on again, there's no fan.

(This is based on my belief that I don't think there's any kind of interlock to prevent the A/C from running if the fan isn't running, although I could be wrong. Even if I'm wrong, it's better to be safe than sorry.)
Makes sense.
Still needs to be SPDT and not the SPST the OP's using.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat