Old 04-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Need help with toy hauler electrical issue

I'm new to the forum and have a question about my forest river xlr toyhauler. Recently while camping the lights have began to flicker and dim down to where all you can see lit up is the element in the bulbs. Also all other electrics (a/c,microwave,tv,radio,ect) if turned on will either go off or flash on and off. Until I go out and unplug from main power source. Ive notice it does it mostly when I put a load on the electrical system such as using a/c. I'm new to the camping world and my first thought may be the converter but I'm honestly not sure or how to check if it's that or something else. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Head Rambler

It sounds like a problem with the converter/power panel.
Have you checked all the connections in the converter/power panel?

Are you plugging into the same power pedestal every time?
Have you had the power at the pedestal checked?

Is the battery good in the unit?

Old 04-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #3

I've tried several different pedestals and all the connects seem to be fine. The furnace light will come on in the breaker box when the lights dim other than that i haven't been Able to find any issues. I haven't checked the batteries but will now. Tha may be a dumb question but even if it's plugged into a 50 amp service or rear of my truck would the batteries keep it from working properly?
Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
Head Rambler

It really sounds like a bad converter, or loose incoming wire connection.

Did you check and tighten the incoming line terminals in the panel? Even if they look good, it's a good idea to try to tighten them.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Your batteries and/or converter power up only the 12 volt DC things in your RV. The 120 volt AC things like the microwave, television, and electrical outlets aren't affected by the battery an/or converter. The Air conditioner although powered by thr 120 volt AC, also relies on the 12 volt DC thermostat.

If EVERYTHING is being affected, you may have something wrong in the power cord, any adapter you may be using, a surge guard/EMS if equipped, or something in the electrical distribution box of the RV.

How are you plugged into the campground. Are you using the 30 amp (3 prong) or 50 amp (4 prong) outlet...and are you using ANY adapter to connect?

Good electrical 101 articles to peruse also can be found here:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...lectricity.asp

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...d-amp-draw.asp

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #6

Yes checked them first for bad connections. Thanks for the insight I really appreciate the help
Old 04-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Your batteries and/or converter power up only the 12 volt DC things in your RV. The 120 volt AC things like the microwave, television, and electrical outlets aren't affected by the battery an/or converter. The Air conditioner although powered by thr 120 volt AC, also relies on the 12 volt DC thermostat.

If EVERYTHING is being affected, you may have something wrong in the power cord, any adapter you may be using, a surge guard/EMS if equipped, or something in the electrical distribution box of the RV.

How are you plugged into the campground. Are you using the 30 amp (3 prong) or 50 amp (4 prong) outlet...and are you using ANY adapter to connect?

Good electrical 101 articles to peruse also can be found here:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)
I'm using straight 50 akp and how adapter also tried hopking up to my truck and lowering the jack and slide outs and they would loose power as well and barely move if any movement at all
Old 04-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumura72 View Post
I'm using straight 50 akp and how adapter also tried hopking up to my truck and lowering the jack and slide outs and they would loose power as well and barely move if any movement at all
The converters function is to take 120 volt AC electricity and convert it to 12 volt DC to power all your RV items that take 12 volt DC. If your converter is not working (which is also your battery charger), then the 12 volt things run off of the RV battery. However since the converter may not be working (thus no way to recharge your battery), then once the RV battery depletes, all the 12 volt stuff ceases to operate off of the battery.

If the microwave, television and other 120 volt things are also not working, that leads me to believe you have a bad incoming 120 volt problem somewhere.

Plugging into your truck, with a depleted RV battery may take a little bit of recharging before the 12 volt DC things like the jacks or such will work. Do you perhaps have a 120 volt AC battery charger with you by chance?

The links I provided above will give you a brief basic understanding of this and the converter function.

Also have you recently replaced or disconnected/connected the RV's battery? I ask that for another reason.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The converters function is to take 120 volt AC electricity and convert it to 12 volt DC to power all your RV items that take 12 volt DC. If your converter is not working (which is also your battery charger), then the 12 volt things run off of the RV battery. However since the converter may not be working (thus no way to recharge your battery), then once the RV battery depletes, all the 12 volt stuff ceases to operate off of the battery.

If the microwave, television and other 120 volt things are also not working, that leads me to believe you have a bad incoming 120 volt problem somewhere.

Plugging into your truck, with a depleted RV battery may take a little bit of recharging before the 12 volt DC things like the jacks or such will work. Do you perhaps have a 120 volt AC battery charger with you by chance?

The links I provided above will give you a brief basic understanding of this and the converter function.

Also have you recently replaced or disconnected/connected the RV's battery? I ask that for another reason.
No I haven't touch the battery's and they tested 13 volts after I check them about an hour ago.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

Have you tried running the Generator? If so do the lights and other stuff work OK?

Tags
electric, electrical, toy hauler