Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 09:16 PM   #1

Need replacement batteries

We have a 2018 Coachmen Pursuit 30FW with two house batteries under the step. I don't know the size but pictures are attached. They don't hold a charge. Can anyone tell me the size of these? Do I replace with the same size? Is there something better out there? Will a larger battery last longer before needing a charge? Any help will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	205320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	205321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery3.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	205322  
bdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #2

Do you have room for taller batteries under there?

Lots of folks go with dual 6v golf cart batteries in an RV. From what I understand, they can take a little more abuse and will likely last longer.

Wire then up in a series and you have 12v.

Costco has Interstate brand for about $100 ea.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #3

It's a group 24 size battery. That's what the DP24MF stands for. A Centennial marine cranking/deep cycle battery. They can be bought for about $85.

You need to find out a bit more regarding your batteries. What is the fluid level in the cells? What is the specific gravity of the fluid? 1.277 specific gravity is 100% for a 12v battery at 12.7-12.8 volts. A battery hydrometer is a very useful item in your camping toolbox and are pretty inexpensive. The connections appear good, is the ground connect in equally clean shape?

If batteries have been repeatedly pulled down to less than 50% state of charge (12.1 volts) , they will be ruined very quickly. It is very important that you keep an eye on voltage levels and current flow. Know the difference (and importance) of what bulk charge, trickle charge, float charge is.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #4

The first TT item that I added was a voltage meter. I added a meter next to the switches at the front door, and I always know the voltage level of my batteries.
Ram 2500 / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #5

that model number, DP24MF, appears to be a centennial group 24 maintenance free battery. we have their group 27 batteries in our trailer that are going on 5 years now and still seem to be working just fine. at least for us. we do not do a lot of boondocking and i try to keep the batteries fully charged, though there have been a couple of times when they got pretty discharged when i was learning.

before you get any replacement recommendation you need to tell us how you use the batteries. are you always on electrical hookups or do you boondock without electrical hookups? from your info the batteries are only a couple of years old and if they are shot it looks like they are getting discharged and left in that state for awhile. understand why they are failing so soon and what adjustments might be made before you replace them or you will be in the same situation in another couple of years.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #6

We just bought the MH last August and used it twice before winter. Noticed that the batteries did not hold a charge very long. (also they are maintenance free which I understand is not normal for deep cycle). The dealer had the unit on their lot for 14 months before we bought it. Dealer tested batteries this spring and said they were bad. Would not do anything as they said batteries were not warrantied. Talked to Forest River and they said they would not do anything because they didn't know how the dealer had treated them over the previous winter. I'm sure they were left in the MH and not kept charged. We normally will be at full service campgrounds hooked up to 50A. Very little if any boondocking.
bdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #7

My factory battery didn’t last 2 years. I got an American made group 27DC Duracell at Sam’s for $82 and tax. Reviews were good and I never boondock unless the power is out at the CG.

I also bought one of these cheap checkers on amazon so I wouldn’t have to take them in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	205404
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
Senior

Any battery in a RV will gradually discharge when not being used. Also there are some things which are connected even though the battery disconnect switch has been turned off when you are not using your RV. If you do not use your camper in the winter and leave it parked the battery can become damaged by becoming more than 50% discharged. Since 12.1 volts is the 50% mark you may not notice anything unusual. If you only use your RV in the summer the battery will become drained while it's being stored in the winter. The most important thing to remember is that even though you aren't using the RV the batteries will need recharging occasionally.

I have a Motor home with batteries under the steps.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
Senior

Oops!!! My bad. 6 Volt golf cart batteries would not fit because of the height without modification. I did replace my group 27 batteries with group 31 but since you said you would stay at a campgrounds you would not need anything larger than you have. Just keep your batteries charged by either attaching a battery charger, running the engine, or plugging in to shore power at least every other month when your not using it.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, replacement