Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
If you are speaking of my picture the yellow item is the Camco surge protector. See my post #17 for an Amazon link to it. I got mine from Amazon for convience but I’m sure they are available at your local RV store.
A suggestion to save $$ on RV stuff.
Always compare walmart.com pricing to Amazon's. Quite often much cheaper on the same product. Walmart.com is trying to be Amazon-lite. Anymore, I check Amazon, WalMart.com and eBay for most mail order stuff before ordering to get the best price.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
This cheapie Camco is just for home use as I know my power is sound.

I think this may be an innocent assumption. Even good power can be corrupted by both natural and man made events such as auto accidents and weather.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
A suggestion to save $$ on RV stuff.
Always compare walmart.com pricing to Amazon's. Quite often much cheaper on the same product. Walmart.com is trying to be Amazon-lite. Anymore, I check Amazon, WalMart.com and eBay for most mail order stuff before ordering to get the best price.
+1. Then I'll go one step further and google search it under 'shopping' and compare prices from 25 stores. The matrix it spits out is nice, shows final cost after shipping (if it is charged) and taxes. Usually either Walmart or Amazon wins, but sometimes somebody will have it on sale even cheaper and sometimes from a name that isn't sketchy. Always check Camping World too. Usually the stuff is overpriced, but sometimes they have these great clearance sales.

I forgot search Lowes, HD, Tractor Supply too. Found my generator CHEAP on sale at Blain's Farm and Fleet, which I never even heard of before!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I think this may be an innocent assumption. Even good power can be corrupted by both natural and man made events such as auto accidents and weather.
Do you have the 200A (400A?) version for your house? I must have the least "sensitive" electronics anywhere....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

I don't have the money to install whole house protection, but I do use many protection devices throughout the house at the outlet (probably WOULD have been cheaper doing the whole house in the long run, lol). I use protection after watching my parents replace cordless phone base unit after cordless phone base unit that seemed to be dying prematurely from bad power.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdjimmi View Post
Does anyone have a diagram to wire a 30 amp outlet in my pole barn to plug MH into during storage?
As an electrician, my first response when someone asks how to wire something is to reply “if you have to ask, hire an electrician”. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been called out to fix wiring mistakes and in some cases it’s too late. Damage has already been done. Fortunately, no lives lost so far.....not being nasty, but there’s more to it than just following a drawing. With that said, I only hope all goes well.
Oldhserst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I don't have the money to install whole house protection, but I do use many protection devices throughout the house at the outlet (probably WOULD have been cheaper doing the whole house in the long run, lol). I use protection after watching my parents replace cordless phone base unit after cordless phone base unit that seemed to be dying prematurely from bad power.

Really??? Home Despot has a number of choices for between $50 and $110. Coverage for 110 and 220 volt service. I'd consider the Leviton currently listed for $54.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #28

The diagram was perfect to give you the wiring. You also want to have a separate ground for the box you wire it to
dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Whole house protection costs maybe $115 for an excellent surge protector such as the Intermatic PanelGuard IG1240RC3 plus something under $25 for an associated 20 A two pole circuit breaker.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #30
Trailer Park Supervisor

Price must have come down, years ago when I considered it, whole house 200 amp protection was hundreds of dollars just for the unit.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #31

A surge suppressor, sure, for if lightning strikes near the house (though ours came through the phone line 20:1 over the power line).

All the rest.....bah.....your electronics don't care. None of them are "sensitive".
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdjimmi View Post
Does anyone have a diagram to wire a 30 amp outlet in my pole barn to plug MH into during storage?
As others have cautioned. Take care. Even a licensed electrician can miswire a pedestal. Mine did and it smoked my converter and blew the microwave. $1100 in damages, which he paid for. According to my dealer, this is not uncommon.

My surge protector at the time did not have miswire protection. My new one does.
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #33

50amp service

How about a diagram with wire sizes for a 50amp service, thanks
MinerDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #34
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Really??? Home Despot has a number of choices for between $50 and $110. Coverage for 110 and 220 volt service. I'd consider the Leviton currently listed for $54.
But you have to disconnect the main, and have it inspected before power company will turn main back on. I have a PanaMax whole house that we put in when I added an additional 200amp panel for the basement a few years back. Since they were killing the power to swap out the meter can for a commercial unit that could feed both panels (Power company confirmed they could provide the amperage to my can first), it was a might as well sort of thing. Yes I had a licensed electrician do it, pulled a permit, etc...
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
As others have cautioned. Take care. Even a licensed electrician can miswire a pedestal. Mine did and it smoked my converter and blew the microwave. $1100 in damages, which he paid for. According to my dealer, this is not uncommon.
If you did a search, on any RV forum, you'd see that it's very common. Many licensed electricians are not familiar with the differences between home and RV electrical systems.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #36
Site Team

When we built our house, I had our electrician install a make-up box on the outside of the house and through the wall from our power center. I asked for 30a service so I could plug in my 30a trailer "one of these days". He used a double-poll 30a breaker and ran two legs into the make-up box. I found his mistake when I started to use that outside box.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinerDoug View Post
How about a diagram with wire sizes for a 50amp service, thanks
This is my go to site for RV outlet wiring:
The 50-amp 120/240-volt 3 pole 4
Old 12-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #38

50amp service

Thanks for all of the imput
MinerDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhserst View Post
As an electrician, my first response when someone asks how to wire something is to reply “if you have to ask, hire an electrician”. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been called out to fix wiring mistakes and in some cases it’s too late. Damage has already been done. Fortunately, no lives lost so far.....not being nasty, but there’s more to it than just following a drawing. With that said, I only hope all goes well.
No harm in someone asking how to wire something. Even if they hire an electrician, the owner/consumer should know how it’s done to be sure the electrician does it right. I’m not saying licensed electricians are bad, but as with many things in life, mistakes happen.

I received power and grounding training so I could audit power systems in hospitals. Occasionally, wiring and equipment sizing mistakes would cause intermittent problems and failures in the hospital’s equipment.

Later, that power and grounding training also paid off when I discovered after 15 years that the licensed electrician that wired my house and pole barn pulled the wrong size and number of conductors to the barn sub panel. It had to be rewired.

So yes, a careful consumer should know how things are done so whether they do it themselves or they hire an outside party to do the work, the consumer can verify it’s done correctly
Old 12-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
No harm in someone asking how to wire something. Even if they hire an electrician, the owner/consumer should know how it’s done to be sure the electrician does it right. I’m not saying licensed electricians are bad, but as with many things in life, mistakes happen.

I received power and grounding training so I could audit power systems in hospitals. Occasionally, wiring and equipment sizing mistakes by licensed electricians would cause intermittent problems and failures in the hospital’s equipment.

Later, that power and grounding training also paid off when I discovered after 15 years that the licensed electrician that wired my house and pole barn pulled the wrong size and number of conductors to the barn sub panel. It had to be rewired.

So yes, a careful consumer should know how things are done so even if they hire an outside party to do the work, the consumer can verify it’s done correctly
Wrong size?: MAYBE. Number of wires:? probably not. I don't remember what code year but 3 wire sub panel was excepted code years ago. Just like 3 wire ranges and dryers.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote