Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

New and confused - inverter

Hi. Just purchased our first RV yesterday and will pick up in couple of weeks. 2015 3050S. Dealer advised it has 1000w inverter, and solar. Plugs will only work when docked or on generator, otherwise 12v plugins throughout unit. I have a CPAP machine, so do I have to purchase a DC adapter for it? I thought inverter allowed me to "plug" in AC items into trailer plugs, limiting my draw to unit demands. Is this a common thing for Sunseeker or all Class C's? Should I be considering upgrading/modifying with larger inverter? Appreciate all assistance, and looking forward to future adventures!
JD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Would depend if inverter was wired to act on all plugs on the output side, or just wired into battery.......some inverters have plug-ins on their face
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #3

thanks Bob I think I will have to wait until I can physically check out the wiring setup and location. My FIL has a Allegro Open Road 36LA and all of his plugs work all of the time. Worst case scenario is I buy a large extension cord and plug into his for our first long weekend tryout in May! Cheers
JD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:19 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD57 View Post
thanks Bob I think I will have to wait until I can physically check out the wiring setup and location. My FIL has a Allegro Open Road 36LA and all of his plugs work all of the time. Worst case scenario is I buy a large extension cord and plug into his for our first long weekend tryout in May! Cheers
A lot will depend on what the inverter is for (as equipped). If it is dedicated to the fridge you may need to tap into it's output to use it for the CPAP or just buy a small inverter and wire it to your batteries for the CPAP circuit.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #5

You should also look closely at the power requirements in amp hours to get thru the night with Cpap if you are intending to dry camp on 12 volt direct or via inverter. 2 coach batteries on a class c may not be enough.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD57 View Post
Hi. Just purchased our first RV yesterday and will pick up in couple of weeks. 2015 3050S. Dealer advised it has 1000w inverter, and solar. Plugs will only work when docked or on generator, otherwise 12v plugins throughout unit. I have a CPAP machine, so do I have to purchase a DC adapter for it? I thought inverter allowed me to "plug" in AC items into trailer plugs, limiting my draw to unit demands. Is this a common thing for Sunseeker or all Class C's? Should I be considering upgrading/modifying with larger inverter? Appreciate all assistance, and looking forward to future adventures!
There are a few things you must understand about your CPAP machine and your settings before you size batteries, reserve power and solar panels.
1. If you have an adapter for 12V direct current for your CPAP machine you will save energy lost in the conversion via the inverter. If you get an inverter, you should get a pure sine wave inverter (expensive). Some CPAP machines will allow modified sine wave inverter (cheaper). There is also a square sine wave inverter. Use recommended type of inverter from CPAP manufacturer. If you do not use the recommended type inverter you will most likely damage your CPAP machine.
2. Your CPAP machine uses current based on your pressure settings, so to size how much battery power you need, you will need to get those numbers together.
3. If you use a humidifier on your CPAP machine, then your power consumption most likely will triple. If you are using ResMed CPAP, you are in luck, in that their site published DC power requirements for pressures and humidification, and has diagram. ResMed S9 DC Converter is around $80.

In summary, before you buy an inverter, converter, battery or solar panels for your CPAP machine, understands your requirements.

One last thought, if you are buying a separate battery as reserve power for your CPAP machine, then you could also use it as backup at home if you have a power failure. Size it based on amperage CPAP uses and available battery reserve capacity needed. Plan not to discharge your battery down to 50% when in use.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #7

2X on battery capacity
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Not all CPAP machines are power hogs and not all humidifiers use electricity.

This one for example is only 35 Watts max draw.
CPAP.com - Z1 Auto Travel CPAP Machine

These humidifiers use no power at all.
CPAP.com - REMstar Passover Humidifier with hose

CPAP.com - M Series Passover Humidifier
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #9

Looks like CPAP uses between 55 and 105 watts. That will depend on whether you have a very high pressure and if you have an electric humidifier. If you use 12 volts to power your machine it will still draw between 4 and 8 amps from the batteries. If you use your inverter is will probably draw maybe a few percent more.

When I first used my rig I ran an extension cord from the 2000 watt inverter that was powering my domestic reefer. Plugged in outside and ran the cord through the bedroom window. Turned off the humidifier and all was well.

Since then I have installed an additional 1000 watt Xantrex to power my driver side plugs and both of my TVs (all on one circuit in the power panel.) Hardly ever see it use much power but it is very convenient to have a bunch of outlets that work all the time.

I do have 4 group 27 12 volt batteries for the 900 watt residential reefer.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #10

New and confused - inverter

Talk about a new learning experience/curve! Have now discovered my respironics CPAP draws 6.6 amps, I have ordered a DC direct plugin adapter, which should allow me to run the machine. I also agree that two 12v batteries as equipped may not last the night. The dealer is providing two new batteries, either 6 or 12v and I think I have enough room to add 4 6v in total. I took pictures of my fuse panel and wire setup. Hopefully when I speak with their tech on Monday he can advise what exactly the inverter powers, and if he could provide some technical links or schematics.
Does anyone have any links to technical or service manuals for the Sunseeker 3050? All I have been able to find are the brochures and floor plans.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459021672.393351.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	102926Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459021684.387374.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	102927Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459021696.552804.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	102928

Here are the pictures of the existing 2 battery compartment under steps, fuse ID panel label, and fuse wiring set up. Just in case someone may see something that should be changed.

Tags
fuse, inverter