Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 PM   #21

That a bargin!
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey1 View Post
The dual fuel one, who has it and how does it run?
I also have the Dual Fuel 3500 watt Champion Inverter and I have been very happy with it. I added an Hour meter so I know the usage levels. While it weighs about 95#, I have been able to lift it into and out of my TV even though I'm in my 70's (but to be honest, it stays there most of the time!). I have a long Master cable and lock set to secure it under my hard tonneau cover behind the locked tailgate. It starts flawlessly on its built-in battery and easily runs my 13.5KW A/C unit and other electrics (as said earlier, not the microwave at the same time). Eco mode (less than 60 dB) switches automatically into full speed when the power load increases. I normally run on gasoline, but have run it on propane, including off the auxiliary port on the trailer that I also use for my Camp Chef stove. I paid about $1,050 last year for it on Amazon.com.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
I was at Costco and picked up a Champaign 3100 generator for $399. I could not pass it up!

If I were you, I'd go back and buy as many as I could at this price. Then offer them here in classifieds! Let me know if you do, I'd be interested in one.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaster View Post
I just looked at Costco it's saying 849. Champion DUAL-FUEL 2800wt Running / 3100wt Peak Digital Inverter Generator, Electric Start, RV Ready, Parallel Capable, CARB & EPA Certified, Low Decibels. That's the only one listed not sure if it's the same.
Costco stocks one in store and a different one online. His price is great for even the gas only version. Wonder if it had remote start. They only have that for the gas versions. Costco was cheap when I was looking but I wanted the dual fuel 3400 and they didn't sell that large of one. They usually stock a 2600 in store around me and sold the 2800 online only (I am talking running not peak watts). I was not aware of the differences until I called them to figure out why online and in store were such different prices.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
If I were you, I'd go back and buy as many as I could at this price. Then offer them here in classifieds! Let me know if you do, I'd be interested in one.
As I said in an earlier post. I would buy one as well. I'm in NJ and they didn't have any Champion generator in store. Only one online. Hopefully Cabelas puts them back on sale. Keep us posted Thanks.

Tank
Tankmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #26

Quote:
As I said in an earlier post. I would buy one as well. I'm in NJ and they didn't have any Champion generator in store. Only one online. Hopefully Cabelas puts them back on sale. Keep us posted Thanks.

Tank
Can anyone give me any advice about the hard start capacitor for the A/C? I'm asking about the cost for it and possibly how much to install it. Trying to figure out if it's worth it so I can get a smaller generator. I appreciate any advice ideas etc. Thanks

Tank
Old 01-30-2018, 11:20 PM   #27

A hard start capicator is about $20. Easy to install, just 2wires. If you don’t feel confident doing that, I can’t imagine the labor would be much. Just an estimate, based on my own experience I would say that it knocks the START UP load down about 20%. A much better solution but a lot more money is a device called a soft start. Instead of storing current like a capicator does this electronically brings the ACupto speed slowly. (A few seconds). The soft start company says that a roof mount 13.5K AC can be run with one Honda 2000. The thing to keep in mind is that the START UP current is the problem, not the running current. According to my kill a watt meter my 13.5 Coleman AC RUNS on about 1250 Watts. I can’t measure the STARTING Watts because it doesn’t read fast enough. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #28

My 25 years of a/c experience have shown me that a start capacitor is momentary, a hard start capacitor is also momentary with a multiplying factor of up to 400 percent. Neither of these effects would give me cause to believe a smaller generator is safe for the life of the a/c.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
My 25 years of a/c experience have shown me that a start capacitor is momentary, a hard start capacitor is also momentary with a multiplying factor of up to 400 percent. Neither of these effects would give me cause to believe a smaller generator is safe for the life of the a/c.
Thanks for your input. I talked to the dealer today and they said about 35.00 for the soft start but 2 hr labor. Not sure they know exactly what I'm trying to do. I will check more dealers. I have a 15,000 btu. ac I think the Coleman 3500 watt inverter generator will be they safe way to go.

Tank
Old 01-30-2018, 11:49 PM   #30

X2 myxkp. A Honda 2000, used in my example, puts out a steady 1600 Watts. If you used a Soft Start, you could run the AC (or at least mine) all day. The problem is IMHO is that’s all you could run. Want coffee with that AC? Not happening! Unless the batteries are fully charged even the converter would not be possible to run at the same time as the AC. Like toast in the morning? No air conditioning and toaster at the same time! Think the tv show Green Acers. For myself I went with a Champion 4000/3500 and a hard start capicator. Max watts for my camper plugged into shore power is 3600 Watts. Put the fridge and water heater on propane and I am golden. Jay
Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 PM   #31

IMHO 2 hours is a bit high. The supco spp6 is about $12 on Amazon
Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I talked to the dealer today and they said about 35.00 for the soft start but 2 hr labor. Not sure they know exactly what I'm trying to do. I will check more dealers. I have a 15,000 btu. ac I think the Coleman 3500 watt inverter generator will be they safe way to go.

Tank
Agreed, the 3500 will be a safe long term power source.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:39 AM   #33
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Agreed, the 3500 will be a safe long term power source.
EasyStart for Honda2000 with RV 13.5 A/C

Check the link and be sure to read the many customer reviews, many as recent as last month. My interest was in being able to run both A/C when park only has 30amp service.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator