Old 07-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #1

New motorhome, dead batteries.

So we picked up our "New" Coachman Concord 300DS last Thursday. I'm sure it's been to a few RV shows and has been on the lot for awhile.

Today, (2 days later) we went out to the driveway to attempt to level it up with the Quadra Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling System. The controller was flashing front and rear lights and according to the Bigfoot manual, if those lights on the controller are flashing, and the power switch, when pressed, does not light up... then the coach batteries are low.

I plugged in to my house 110 outlet using a surge protector and converter. Still nothing. It's been charging for a couple of hours, still nothing. Do you suppose the batteries have gone bad? Should I insist on new batteries, since this is a 2016 "New" motorhome?

Old 07-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #2

If the batteries are low it will may take a few days to charge them using the converter. You should remove them and have them checked and, if their good, charged. This also assumes your converter is good but since it's a 2016 is most likely is ok.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

Could you unhook them, and use a real battery charger?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

I don't have a "real" battery charger, so can't do that right now.

I have another question though:

What is the power source priority sequence of these motorhomes? According to the blinking lights on my auto-leveling device, my motorhome batteries are low so it won't even try to level it. I plugged it in to my house 110 (as mentioned previously)... those lights on the controller were still blinking, so no leveling. I started the on board generator and still had the blinking lights, and no leveling.

I would think either being plugged into my house OR running the generator would take over and bypass the batteries. Do you think the jacks ONLY work via the motorhome batteries? Everything else works in the motorhome.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #5

Look around for a battery disconnect switch. In my old class c it was by the entry door. It would kill power to the house systems so it wouldn't drain the battery while in storage as fast but other systems relying on 12v power wouldn't run.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
Look around for a battery disconnect switch. In my old class c it was by the entry door. It would kill power to the house systems so it wouldn't drain the battery while in storage as fast but other systems relying on 12v power wouldn't run.
They explained the battery disconnect switch and where it was located when we had our walk through. I drove it home from the dealership, after they had it plugged into a 30 amp plug all day. The drive home was about an hour. I didn't think about turning the disconnect OFF when I got home. Didn't think the batteries would drain in just a couple days. Anyway, I finally got around to trying to level it up 2 days later. I thought it was kind of weird that when I opened the side door on the motorhome, that the step didn't automatically open. So... assuming the batteries were dead I plugged it in. Went back to the side door and whalah, the step came out. All the lights work, but the leveling device still tells me the batteries are low and it won't level.
I charged it all night and went out to check this morning... still blinking and won't level.
I thought, maybe if I start the engine, it might reboot the leveling controller. I started the engine, let it run a couple minutes, turned it off... still blinking and won't level.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #7

New motorhome, dead batteries.

Silly question but I'll ask anyway, is the emergency brake engaged?
Old 07-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
Silly question but I'll ask anyway, is the emergency brake engaged?
Not silly, but YES it is.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

Couple of things:

Make sure as many 12 volt items as possible are off, let the converter charge the batteries for at least 48 hours. Then disconnect the batteries and let them sit for a bit, then take a voltage reading. I would also check the level of the water in the cells. They may have let them run dead at the dealership and not bothered to try to recharge them properly.

My batteries will run a good 4-6 days with the battery switch on, battery switched off even more than that.

I would also check the Bigfoot manual and see how to "reboot" the system.

Auto Systems must unplug/replug the the interface cable to clear code on the panel, regardless

I have also attached a pdf copy of the manual for you.

Some things to make sure are turned off: Television amplifier, both inside and outside stereos, make sure they are OFF and not just on standby, thermostat and fridge. Even with the battery switch off you have a few items that still pull current, typically the LP/CO detector and maybe the fridge board, if it is not switched off. I have requested a wiring diagram from Coachmen, hopefully they will provide one and I will have a better handle on how things are set up on the electrical side.

Aaron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bigfoot Level Manual.pdf (3.01 MB, 16 views)

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Couple of things:

Make sure as many 12 volt items as possible are off, let the converter charge the batteries for at least 48 hours. Then disconnect the batteries and let them sit for a bit, then take a voltage reading. I would also check the level of the water in the cells. They may have let them run dead at the dealership and not bothered to try to recharge them properly.

My batteries will run a good 4-6 days with the battery switch on, battery switched off even more than that.

I would also check the Bigfoot manual and see how to "reboot" the system.

Some things to make sure are turned off: Television amplifier, both inside and outside stereos, make sure they are OFF and not just on standby, thermostat and fridge. Even with the battery switch off you have a few items that still pull current, typically the LP/CO detector and maybe the fridge board, if it is not switched off. I have requested a wiring diagram from Coachmen, hopefully they will provide one and I will have a better handle on how things are set up on the electrical side.

Aaron
You know, the first thing I was going to do was fill the batteries, but I bought a "Quik-Fill" on-board battery watering system and was going to install it first and then fill the batteries. The instructions for the Quik-Fill (even before Step #1) say, "Important, Batteries should only be filled after charging".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160717_085112487.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	114348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160717_085124737.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	114349  

Tags
motorhome, battery