Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #1

New User -Constant Batt drain + fridge issue

Hello,

This is my second post of the day. I have a Cardinal FR CAF 362BHLE we bought used.

Please forgive my non-technical talk. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch.

The first time we went to a site they were installing new power units and when we connected, it blew all the light bulbs in the camper. It turns out they had wired 240 instead of 120. The TV, microwave, stereo, dvd player, fridge, and stove were all shot. I found the fuses for the fridge, stove, and stereo and replaced them. I havne't found a fuse for the TV or the microwave yet.

I found a copy of the owners manual online and it has more detail about the seatbelts and smoke detectors than it does anything useful.

The AirCon and heat work, but I have to recharge the battery every 4 days or everything dies. The fridge will not work on AC, it will only work on Gas. If I put it on auto, it picks AC but won't actually cool.

From everything I read, inverter? converter? I bought a brand new battery, charged it externally and same problem.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

first, the fridge and stereo are 12vDC and will have fuses.
the tv and microwave are 110vAC and will be on breakers.

not sure why your stove has a fuse. does it have electronic ignition? if so, it's probably also 12vDC.

as far as your battery, the trailer has parasitic drains that will empty a battery in about 4 days, if not plugged into shore power.
the charger part of your converter could be fried.

i hope the campground is covering your repair costs!

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan
first, the fridge and stereo are 12vDC and will have fuses.
the tv and microwave are 110vAC and will be on breakers.

not sure why your stove has a fuse. does it have electronic ignition? if so, it's probably also 12vDC.

as far as your battery, the trailer has parasitic drains that will empty a battery in about 4 days, if not plugged into shore power.
the charger part of your converter could be fried.

i hope the campground is covering your repair costs!
They better be covering his costs!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #4

converter could be bad

you may have to pull the stereo to get at the fuse.

fridge could have popped breaker.

might be a worth while idea to install a battery cut off switch to keep the battery from being discharged.

does the battery ever charge whil you are on shore power or does it just die over the 4 days no matter what

this is one of the main reason I carry a device that I plug into the pole to verify that it has enough amps and that it is 110 and not 220.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #5

I can't believe the amazing responses in one night. I really didn't expect this.

Found the stereo fuse.

All the breakers are fine, so I'm assuming the TV & Microwave are actually shot. Fridge works on gas but not AC now.

It drains the battery even connected to the shore power. As long as my battery is charged it runs the fridge, heat, pumps etc. When the battery dies, everything shuts down.

I'm guessing the converter is buried somewhere behind the fuse panel? Cause I really can't see where else they'd put it.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
converter could be bad

you may have to pull the stereo to get at the fuse.

fridge could have popped breaker.

might be a worth while idea to install a battery cut off switch to keep the battery from being discharged.

does the battery ever charge whil you are on shore power or does it just die over the 4 days no matter what

this is one of the main reason I carry a device that I plug into the pole to verify that it has enough amps and that it is 110 and not 220.
What device is this? When I went to the RV shop the clerk didn't know what I was looking for.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #7

see below ???
Old 06-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
What device is this? When I went to the RV shop the clerk didn't know what I was looking for.
the one I have is analog -
this one will basicly do the same thing except it is digital

you would plug this in to test the circuit way before you ever plug the camper into to it to verify the line is good and is 110 versus 220.

Digital Line Monitor - Technology Research Corp M20020 - Camping World

it will most likely have a 15 / 20 amp style plug on it and you use the 15 amp to 30 amp converter plug to allow you to plug it into the 30 amp service
Old 06-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #9

I use this to check the pedestal before i plug in:
Bobs Pictures pictures by bob213pierce - Photobucket
Old 06-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailspin View Post
I can't believe the amazing responses in one night. I really didn't expect this.

Found the stereo fuse.

All the breakers are fine, so I'm assuming the TV & Microwave are actually shot. Fridge works on gas but not AC now.

It drains the battery even connected to the shore power. As long as my battery is charged it runs the fridge, heat, pumps etc. When the battery dies, everything shuts down.

I'm guessing the converter is buried somewhere behind the fuse panel? Cause I really can't see where else they'd put it.

the converter is going to be in the same area as the breakers and fuses - you are correct on right behind it - mine is below my fridge - not sure where yours is cause diffrent model trailer.

TV might be low voltage (Most flat panels are 12V but use a power supply to convert it to low voltage) - might just be the power supply - you can verify that with a meter.

you should be able to get a replacemnt Microwave pretty cheap - like around $100.

My guess is the converter is going to be the most expensive piece to replace.