Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
Scoundrel

Newbi Battery Charging Question

Micro-Lite 19fd. When I'm connected to shore line, do I have to turn on the battery switch to charge the batteries (Battery Disconnect Button) or will the batteries charge anyway with the Battery Disconnect button pushed to the off position. Trying to understand my converter.

Thank you for your replies.
Rich J.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
Site Team

You have to turn on battery disconnect. When it is disconnected, the battery is out of the circuit except for possibly the brakes and CO/Lp detector.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You have to turn on battery disconnect. When it is disconnected, the battery is out of the circuit except for possibly the brakes and CO/Lp detector.
Thank You!! I'm glad I checked because that is exactly the case. For me, water can run uphill and electricity is magic.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
Scoundrel

Followup question - how long would you normally plug-in to your shore line to charge two 12-volt deep cycle batteries. I'm told they charge fast up to the last 85% - then hours longer for the last 15% (not sure if thats accurate). Would two days be normal for two deep cycle batteries? I have a Honda 2000i generator, but I'm trying to gather voltage metrics before I start out on a trip.

Thanks again,
Rich J.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
Site Team

For clarity,

Engaging the battery disconnect switch, cuts off 12v power and prevents the converter to charge the battery.

Disengaging the battery disconnect switch allows for the 12v battery power to flow and the converter to recharge the battery.

If you had received a good PDI from the dealer, this would been explained.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #6

Two days might do it to the last few percent. It takes quite a while to get to 100%, depending on how much they are discharged.

Nothing charges with the batteries disconnected.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
Scoundrel

Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked was because with the battery disconnect switch turned on or off I could still check the level of the battery charge on my control panel. Obviously I don't know enough about how my converter works.

Always a student,
Rich J.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
For clarity,

Engaging the battery disconnect switch, cuts off 12v power and prevents the converter to charge the battery.

Disengaging the battery disconnect switch allows for the 12v battery power to flow and the converter to recharge the battery.

If you had received a good PDI from the dealer, this would been explained.
Your reply was helpful and I appreciate your response. I bought this TT from my aunt who's husband died a year earlier. Not all purchases are done through a dealer.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked was because with the battery disconnect switch turned on or off I could still check the level of the battery charge on my control panel. Obviously I don't know enough about how my converter works.

Always a student,
Rich J.
If you are wired like most, with the battery disconnected and the shore power connected you are reading the voltage of the converter only. Always jumps to 4 LEDs lit...which means charging...which means voltage over 13 or so. Converter float voltage. Converter will run the coach with the batteries disconnected.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging