Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #81

First time poster

4 weeks into our GeoPro 19QB and finding the electrical system super frustrating. Have read through the experiences some of you have had and wanted to share mine. Right now, we're are plugged into shore power (110). We've figured out that the GFCI just randomly trips, usually at least once each day (sometimes overnight...).
Easy fix, just push in the bathroom GIFC switch.
Other times, it's the inverter.
We are lucky that compared to earlier models, ours in under the dinette seat, so easy to get to.
Resetting the inverter is an easy fix when for whatever reason it has tripped instead of the GIFC.
Right now though, we have no AC power after troubleshooting both of the above.
I can turn on the inverter and get DC to the outlets; that works fine but doesn't address getting power to the microwave or fridge, not to mention our batteries are only going to last so long...
Am I missing something?
Apart from the breakers beside the front door (I've reset them all), is there another switch or breaker (GIFC) that I'm not aware of that could be causing the problem?
warrenmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #82

when you're plugged in you don't use the inverter, it's only there to use when not plugged in. If you have not 110 power when plugged in then a main breaker has tripped. Need to trace voltage with a volt meter.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
when you're plugged in you don't use the inverter, it's only there to use when not plugged in. If you have not 110 power when plugged in then a main breaker has tripped. Need to trace voltage with a volt meter.
Thanks nayther, appreciate you jumping in. Totally hear you on not using the inverter; I only have it running now to charge computer while I'm without AC due to this issue. I have reset all breakers (in the panel besides entry door) to no avail. That's why I'm wondering if there's another breaker somewhere that I'm unaware of.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #84

Have you checked the breaker on the campground pedestal? They can trip easily. If you have power there check the power on down the line to the converter.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #85
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yes, start at the source, the place the R/V is plugged in... then your power cord, then for power coming INTO your breaker panel.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? If so, take some voltage readings and let us know what you find.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #86
Site Team

Does your inverter have a built in transfer switch?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #87

Thanks so much for the all the responses! And sure enough, it was a breaker at the source.... We are plugged into a friends garage at present, and sure enough; breaker on that end had tripped. Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #88

One thing to look at as well would be the main CFCI. If it blinks occasionally before the breaker pops, then the GFCI may be bad and may need replaced.
Not an expert on that, but with mine, I noticed some blinking while in use and about the time I had a small power issue. I replaced it and have not had any issues since. Still experimenting with different loads though.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Stanley View Post
One thing to look at as well would be the main CFCI. If it blinks occasionally before the breaker pops, then the GFCI may be bad and may need replaced.
Not an expert on that, but with mine, I noticed some blinking while in use and about the time I had a small power issue. I replaced it and have not had any issues since. Still experimenting with different loads though.
Interesting. When you say the main GFCI, in my GeoPro I'm guessing that's the main breaker I'm having to reset on the outlet in the bathroom. It usually has an illuminated green light, then when it flips a red also. Is this what you mean by the main GFCI?
Old 05-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenmacdonald View Post
Interesting. When you say the main GFCI, in my GeoPro I'm guessing that's the main breaker I'm having to reset on the outlet in the bathroom. It usually has an illuminated green light, then when it flips a red also. Is this what you mean by the main GFCI?
One other thing RVs don't like to be plugged into GFCI outlets. If you are at your buddies house and plugged into his GFCI outlet you may trip your GFCI or his.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
One other thing RVs don't like to be plugged into GFCI outlets. If you are at your buddies house and plugged into his GFCI outlet you may trip your GFCI or his.

X2 Learned that the hard way also. 2 GFCI circuits don't like to play together! In my case sometimes I could get away with it. It all seemed to hinge on humidity & moisture. Bright sunny dry days, it would more than likely work.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:03 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenmacdonald View Post

Most likely.

In the 14FK, the outlet is above the microwave.

Tags