Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 02:07 AM   #1

Newbie Q: Generator runs but no ac

Hi! I have an 2015 Coachmen Leprechaun. My onboard generator starts and runs but I don't have any ac in the RV? I can get ac when the external power connection is made to an external source, but not with the generator. What am I doing wrong? Is there a switch of some sort? Please help.

Thanks!
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 AM   #2
Citrus County, Fl.

Most likely the generator breaker has tripped. It's located on the unit itself just to the right of the start switch. Here is a quick video.

99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
Hi! I have an 2015 Coachmen Leprechaun. My onboard generator starts and runs but I don't have any ac in the RV? I can get ac when the external power connection is made to an external source, but not with the generator. What am I doing wrong? Is there a switch of some sort? Please help.

Thanks!
Check your transfer switch, if it runs on shore power its not the main breaker, I'm not sure if you have a breaker in the transfer, some do and some don't. Make sure its transferring power to the coach....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:34 AM   #4

Maybe it does NOT have a Transfer switch! Some have to be Manually Plugged in! Youroo!!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #5

both potential issues have already been mentioned (circuit breakers on generator or transfer switch / manual cord transfer). here is a test to perform. unplug from shore power and start the generator. then test a couple of the 110 volt outlets (use a lamp, radio, tester, etc). do you have power in these outlets? if yes the generator is supplying the power and the transfer switch is working. if no, check / reset the circuit breakers on the generator. still no power, you have to determine if you have an automatic transfer switch or not. find the output power cables from the generator and trace them to see where they go. they will either go into an automatic transfer switch along with the input from the shore power cable. or they will go to an electrical junction box with a power receptacle on it that is the same as the receptacle on the pedestal that you plug the shore power cord into. if you have this you need to plug the shore power cord into this receptacle to get power from the generator. of course it could be something else but these are the most probable and easiest things to check.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Retired Ford Tech

No ac on gen

Make sure the ac unit is off, when you start the generator. You can't have a load on the gen when you start it.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

CHICKDOE covered it pretty well

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #8

I agree with chickdoe; I did not plug my 2015 leprachaun once and could not figure problem until tech person I called asked did I plug in power cord to recptacle. Talk about embarrassed.
Old_hippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
both potential issues have already been mentioned (circuit breakers on generator or transfer switch / manual cord transfer). here is a test to perform. unplug from shore power and start the generator. then test a couple of the 110 volt outlets (use a lamp, radio, tester, etc). do you have power in these outlets? if yes the generator is supplying the power and the transfer switch is working. if no, check / reset the circuit breakers on the generator. still no power, you have to determine if you have an automatic transfer switch or not. find the output power cables from the generator and trace them to see where they go. they will either go into an automatic transfer switch along with the input from the shore power cable. or they will go to an electrical junction box with a power receptacle on it that is the same as the receptacle on the pedestal that you plug the shore power cord into. if you have this you need to plug the shore power cord into this receptacle to get power from the generator. of course it could be something else but these are the most probable and easiest things to check.
Thanks. I started the generator and no ac in the RV. The breaker is ON. I have a switch but I am not sure if it is the correct switch for the generator. Will this switch help? I haven't traced the power cables yet.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	172907  
Old 05-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #10

that looks like a battery disconnect switch. it will have no effect on the issue you are having. disconnect from shore power and turn the generator on. then test a receptacle or two to see if you have any 110 volt power anywhere. plug in a lamp, radio, or tester into some 110 volt outlets. my suspicion is that you have to plug you shore power cable into a generator power receptacle. just a guess. take a good look around where the generator is mounted to see if you see such a receptacle.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #11

I don't see it in thread that you have tried this: in the storage compartment for the power cord, there should be an electrical outlet for 30 qmp. Start generator on and then plug cord into outlet. That provides power same as shore power. I have 2015 leprachaun 260 dsc and assume setup is same on yours.
Old_hippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_hippies View Post
I don't see it in thread that you have tried this: in the storage compartment for the power cord, there should be an electrical outlet for 30 qmp. Start generator on and then plug cord into outlet. That provides power same as shore power. I have 2015 leprachaun 260 dsc and assume setup is same on yours.
THANKS! I've seen that outlet before but I've haven't looked into its use yet. I'll try that out on my next opportunity to start the generator. Thanks again! I'm betting this is my issue.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #13
Hank

I have a 2016 Leprechaun and I have to plug the shore power cord into a receptacle located inside the area where you stow away the shore power cord when using the generator.

hank
Henry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, newbie