Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

Newbie question - battery

I am a new owner of a 2017 Coachmen Prism 2150LE. I have had it parked for about a month. The battery in the cabin is beeping. Someone told me I should be able to quickly take that offline if parking for an extended time. I am not sure how to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dgumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior

You are probably hearing the carbon monoxide detector that will beep when the battery is low. You can plug your shore power cord into a 120 V receptacle to recharge the battery. Or if there is no electricity available where you store your coach remove the coach batteries, connect them to a battery charged and store them inside where you can keep them charged in the winter. You should not leave the charger on continuously but it's good to recharge once a month.

sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #3

Yep. That is what is beeping. I don’t see how to get to the battery. May have to just plug it up.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgumz View Post
Yep. That is what is beeping. I don’t see how to get to the battery. May have to just plug it up.
There should be a master battery shutoff for the house batteries. That will also shut the beeping off on the detector.

I am not familiar with your model, but you should be able to access the house batteries (separate from the vehicle battery) from a cargo door on the outside of the vehicle. The door should be the one without any locks on it (DOT reg).

What you should do, is if you have the ability to connect to shore power, that will take care of keeping the batteries recharged. If not, you should take the house batteries out and put them on a battery tender.

It sounds like no one has walked you through the RV and explained everything. The manual should help, and whoever you bought it from should have.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #5

Battery might be under step inside. Should be a switch to shut off coach power near the control panel.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
Site Team

It's a shame that your dealer didn't go over this stuff, during the PDI, cause this is basic PDI information.

To not show the buyer where the battery disconnect switch is, is a huge fail.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #7

There is a power switch under all the control switches just inside the door. I keep that off when it is parked. I have plugged the RV up to the house now. I hope that solves my problem.

When I had my orientation, it was done by someone who didnít really know the Prizm. Someday I am going back to get properly schooled.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Much obliged!
Old 12-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #8

Darryl, do us all a favor and let us know the name of the dealership you bought your rig from, so those of us who may be in the market can avoid them!!

Your issues are fundamental, and should have been included in your orientation before accepting delivery of your new rig.

Welcome to the world of RV Dealership incompetence.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
There should be a master battery shutoff for the house batteries. That will also shut the beeping off on the detector.

I am not familiar with your model, but you should be able to access the house batteries (separate from the vehicle battery) from a cargo door on the outside of the vehicle. The door should be the one without any locks on it (DOT reg).

What you should do, is if you have the ability to connect to shore power, that will take care of keeping the batteries recharged. If not, you should take the house batteries out and put them on a battery tender.

It sounds like no one has walked you through the RV and explained everything. The manual should help, and whoever you bought it from should have.

Mark
The door with no locks is the LPG door. The battery door can have locks. Both MH we have had (89 Winnebago Chiefton and current 15 Thor Windsport) have locks on the battery door.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post

Mark
I'm having similar problems as a 2018 Coachmen newbie. We recently got a 204RD and have it stored on a lot this past 2 months. Battery was low the first day we worked in it, but inside lights worked fine, radio worked as well, and we connected it to TV to charge for awhile. Came back next day and CO2 monitor was beeping, so we charged with TV more while we worked inside. Third day, came back battery was beeping - we again charged with TV, however, no inside lights or electrical worked at all, even after having the TT connected with the TV for an hour or so. Nothing works even while the TV is connected and running.
Can't find the master battery on/off switch and manual doesn't help since there are no pictures or diagrams for reference and information given is too general to locate it.
I could use help in locating the switch (pictures or text) for this model, and whatever other suggestions and steps that will help us get on the road with power! Thanks and Merry Christmas, y'all!

travellvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, newbie