Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #1

No 110 power

Yesterday lost power on 110v only side......12v ok. As I reset park breaker after rechecking outlet and began resetting inside breakers voltage at breaker went from 120 to 80 with all on. Park folks checked their end whiched checked fine....they replaced my plug end as thought may be cause. Did not correct problems also mild hot skin has started.....any thoughts
sche202460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

My guess with a large voltage drop, something is drawing lots of power. try shutting off all breakers, measure voltage. then turn then on one at a time and see what the voltage is each time. You should find the branch that is the offender and work from there.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sche202460 View Post
Yesterday lost power on 110v only side......12v ok. As I reset park breaker after rechecking outlet and began resetting inside breakers voltage at breaker went from 120 to 80 with all on. Park folks checked their end whiched checked fine....they replaced my plug end as thought may be cause. Did not correct problems also mild hot skin has started.....any thoughts
Shut off your 110 breakers and turn them on one by one while monitoring the voltage at the pole. Should let you narrow down which circuit it is (if the problem is in your camper at all.)

I find it hard to believe that something in the camper could draw enough power to drop the voltage to 80V without tripping a breaker in the camper. Campground might be feeding you a line of bs.

Oh and what do you mean by hot skin?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #4

Did that at breaker...started at 120 and tested as each one flipped on by time all on voltage dropped to 80. Fridge, AC, and WH were off during test. They replaced outlet and breaker at pole just to be sure. Electric shock when touching outside metal on camper....offen called "hot skin"
Old 07-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #5

This is when having an EMS with the display or a clip on ammeter would be really handy..

I'd expect for the offending circuit to produce a pretty dramatic drop when you flip it on.

So .. all breakers off, camper plugged in, 120 at the pole.. then the voltage just gradually dropped as you switched things on? Everything is unplugged from outlets?

Could be a GFCI going bad or a bad connection on one of the outlets (or at the panel in the camper)

I think if it was me I'd try another pole, if that's an option.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #6

If you get shocked by touching any metal and standing outside, there is SERIOUS problem at the pole.

Sounds like they reversed the hot and neutral at the pole when they changed the receptacle.

I would unplug from the pole until they fix the problem. This can cause serious problems to the electronics of the trailer.
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Everything was unplugged and shock issue was before any changes done. Even moved to different site. Thankfully its under warranty. Before this problem kept popping breaker every once in awhile but has never at power panel inside only at pole boxes. This time either one...guessing its something inside but too hot here to really get into....Park folks real helpful as we been going here for years
Old 07-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sche202460 View Post
Everything was unplugged and shock issue was before any changes done. Even moved to different site. Thankfully its under warranty. Before this problem kept popping breaker every once in awhile but has never at power panel inside only at pole boxes. This time either one...guessing its something inside but too hot here to really get into....Park folks real helpful as we been going here for years
The camper shocking you is really dangerous. I'd unplug till it's fixed.

Maybe someone has a power cable you could try? Something is miswired somewhere.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #9

Guessing problem has been a progressive one. Started by occasionally tripping breaker to this time no breakers tripping and power issue on 110 side. Guy at park seemed to think wire inside touching something or at connections where power connects inside...open neutral though all plugs check ok with tester...time to leave to professionals as beyond my knowledge
Old 07-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Please read this sticky we keep at the top of the electrical subforum. It's from our guru on hot-skin/chassis condition, Mike Sokol. You are messing with a dangerous situation.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-rv-89191.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power